Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Bunnies: and the Quest of the Magic Carrot is a game that people either seem to love or dislike. Fortunately, I really enjoy the game and have a group of folk (primarily teenagers) who are constantly clamoring to play it. Thus, when I got the first seven expansions, I was happy to play with them but was a little unsure of how to integrate them. So we added one deck and played, then played again, then added another deck and repeated. After dozens of plays, I now think that I can safely talk about each of the decks, and how they add to the gameplay. There are a couple of things common to each deck:

- First of all, if you hate Killer Bunnies, none of the expansions are likely to change your mind. More randomness is added, more powerful cards are included, more of the "silly" theme is promoted - stuff that fans of the game love, but detractors certainly do not.
- Each expansion comes in a small box that is sturdy and easily holds the cards; but all of which I discarded, as the first seven expansions all fit comfortably in the box.
- Some expansions are more interesting than others (I would rate them Orange, Pink, Red, Steel, Purple, White, and Green - in that order), but I really did enjoy them all.
- Expansions really should be added in order. You might get away with adding a future expansion (such as Twilight White) to your blue and yellow cards, but you'll run into "holes", and some of the cards simply won't make sense.
- It's fascinating how the designer had the larger picture in mind, and how they referenced future cards in each of the decks. With all seven expansions (I know that two more are still coming) it feels like a nearly complete game rather than some expansions that are tacked on.

Now for some specific comments on the Green Booster Deck (Playroom Entertainment, 2004 - Jeffrey Neil Bellinger):

1.) Of all the expansions, this one certainly adds the most changes to the game and possibly adds the most complexity. All of this revolves around the Zodiac signs. Now, a quick word to those who think that the zodiac is silly/stupid/wrong/evil - there is still much in this set that can be utilized, and future sets only use a few cards to reference the Zodiac cards. Still, there is no denying that they are the focal point of the set. There is a set of twelve zodiac cards (one for each symbol) that are shuffled into the main deck as well as a smaller deck (the same size as the cabbage and water decks) that is shuffled and placed aside. Finally, a zodiac die with each of the twelve symbols is included - sometimes needed for certain cards. Whenever a player draws a large Zodiac card during the game, they place them face up in front of them - in exactly the same manner as Dollar cards. At the end of the game, the small deck of Zodiac cards are brought out, and the bottom card is examined. If any player has the large card that matches this, they may move one bunny from one player to another (usually themselves). This can effectively put a player out of the game. This matching player can also take three carrots from the person with the most carrots. Most importantly (and actually rather random), if the Zodiac symbol matches the current Zodiac sign AND the player's birthday sign, then they can take all carrots from each other opponent except one from each. (For the record, I've never seen this happen). There is one more thing that Zodiac cards can do; and if that's if a player has three consecutive Zodiac cards down (or three of the same type - Air, Earth, Water, or Fire), they can play two cards per turn. My opinion of the Zodiac cards over all is that it seems as if it's an unnecessary complication to the game, and I don't really care for them that much. Still, some players I've played with have enjoyed them; so your mileage may vary.

2.) Five new bunnies are included - dual colored, such as the Yellow/Orange Sinister Bunny, which can match two different colors when forming triplets. At the same time, they're not as useful as free agents - so nothing tremendously fantastic here.

3.) More of the staples of the expansions are included, such as more Kabolla Dollas, Feed the Rabbits, and Take a Carrot cards. Most of them are fairly standard fare, but there is one "Play Immediately" card that does NOT kill a bunny. Instead, it gives anyone who has a Zodiac card a free carrot. That tends to make people happy. The weapons in the set use the twenty-sided die rather than the black die, with one interesting weapon, the 7th Whisk, included. This weapon causes a bunny to roll seven dice; and if they roll a "1" on any of them, the bunny dies. Good times.

4.) Several interesting special cards are included, with a few of them utilizing the Zodiac die and cards. Some of the ones that interested me include:
- Leif Carrotson: This roaming card can be played on one player, whose bunnies all join Leif in gallivanting around the circle. Each turn, they visit one player - who rolls the violet, black, and red dice. If the violet die is the highest, nothing happens, and they continue their journey. However, if the black die is the highest, a bunny is killed; and if the red die is highest, the bunny joins the player who they are visiting. Funny and interesting.
- Operation: Spoilsport: A great card. It causes any negative effects on your bunnies to be experienced by the bunnies of the player attacking you. A very satisfying card to use.
- Fingercuffs: This links the fate of two adjacent bunnies together, along with any special effects they have, such as Clovers and the Heavenly Halo. A great card to play on an aggressive neighbor, as they will think twice about attacking you!
- Roll-O-Lution: Allows a player to use the twenty-sided die for any twelve-sided die roll. This can have a great effect on some cards, especially when defending against weapons.
- LA Tape Worm: Doubles the amount of cabbage a bunny needs to eat. Okay, this isn't that unusual, but it made me laugh!

The Green expansion is all about the Zodiac, with a few other special cards thrown in for good measure. As I said, it added the least enjoyment for me out of the expansions, but I still didn't dislike it - merely found it a bit convoluted and strange theme-wise. Still, it will probably interest many folks, and the strangeness is part of the general game!

Tom Vasel
"Real men play board games"
www.thedicetower.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

I REALLY like the game through the orange expansion but have put off everything else because I didn't like the seemed fiddlyness of the Zodiac cards and how it can (effectively) kill a player at the end of the game. What do you think about adding the green expansion but simply removing only the zodiac cards themselves and the other cards that directly require their inclusion? Would this totally gut the expansion or would I have enough to make the other expansions tie back in well enough? Would I lose too much of the cohesion by skipping green all together and marching straight into Steel and White? Thanks for your opinion!

Ghost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Removing the Zodiac cards takes out about 35% of the cards of the set. It still has some value, methinks.

And if you skip it, you'll have a few unworkable cards later on with the other sets (about twenty in total). I think you could skip it and be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although I have all of the boosters and really enjoy the game with my family, if you are concerned about the Zodiac issue, then go ahead and skip to another booster. Once you play that way, you can determine if what you are missing with the Zodiacs is worth their inclusion. For what it's worth in our games, the Zodiac is rarely an issue at the end of the game (either not many of the twelve Zodiacs have been drawn throughout the game or players have more than one bunny, rendering the Zodiac relatively impotent). During the game, though, and as Tom mentioned, several other fun and interesting cards would be affected (one such example is ORP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom/Dale,

Thanks for the input! I think the Zodiac cards would make a much bigger impact if I just introduced green by itself rather than green, white, steel and pink simultaneously. I will probably end up biting the bullet and adding everything all at once. If the Zodiacs are still bothering my group after a few games of chaos I can still take them out.

Thanks,

Ghost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom/Dale,

I have been able to creatively use the original box insert up to this point, but adding another 4+ expansions will render this impossible. Do you guys have any type of custom insert you use - or do you just use more boxes? Cheers,

Ghost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have all boosters to date and am still able to fit all the cards, additional pieces (pawns and dice), and rules within the original blue/yellow box (like Tom, I've discarded all of the booster boxes). Once the final booster (Onyx) is released, it may be a tight fit (in which case I'll probably keep the last booster box and store the pawns, dice, and chips in that smaller box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.