flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

10/19/12

Naito's Age: 6.1
Raishi's Age: 4.4

Number of times played:

Game Description:
In this game you draw lines. Players study quest cards then try to replicate the depicted path on their separate transparent doodle sheets. Once finished, players place their doodle sheets on top of the quest card to see whether the drawings line up. There are various ways for players to earn bonus and negative points.

My Thoughts:
This is an interesting game. Each player has their own transparent white board and dry erase marker. The group is given a quest card to look at and are asked to draw lines to achieve various objectives. Sometimes you have to go from
one side of the board to the other without touching various objects. Other times you need to circle something without hitting sharks, fish, etc. There are 18 double sided quest cards in the game and each one is different from the others. Even when you have played each card, you will want to replay them again and again.
While my wife and I had no trouble gaining tons of points on each easy level quest, the boys found it near impossible to get any points. Oddly, it did not matter. They were having so much fun drawing lines on the whiteboards and checking them against the quest board that they didn't mind if they made mistakes. They found their mistakes to be ridiculously funny more then frustrating.

I feel like they understood how to play the game but were mentally/physically unable to successfully translate what they saw into what they needed to do. Did it matter? Hard to say. They had so much fun (which is the most important point in playing games with the boys,) I'd say score is not something we need to care about for a while. In the future, as they get older and better at the game, then perhaps we'll play for score. Maybe.

As for me, I had a lot of fun too. Playing against my wife was exciting (I lost by one point!) We both thought the game was a winner. If I played with just the boys and I would still have a good time even if I was not playing for the win. Its just fun to doodle and see how it goes.

Naito's Thoughts:
"This is my first drawing game. It is really fun. I like drawing in the game. I don't like losing."

Raishi's Thoughts:
"I like drawing the lines on the board. I do not like when I hit things."

Ease of Teaching:
Naito's Understanding:
Raishi's Understanding:

Dad's Rating:
Naito's Rating:
[b]Raishi's Rating:

12/14/14

Naito's Age: 6.3
Raishi's Age: 4.7

We played again but we used sequentially higher numbers (7-12.) The boys remembered how to play and had a lot of fun, but their scores were not high. They didn't really care, though. It was more fun to draw lines and laugh about what they did wrong (or right!) It is very hard for both of them to gauge where they needed to draw their various bubbles or lines, or fish. They would draw stuff all over the place and get zero points more often than not. Even so, they still enjoyed it. They told me that they didn't care about the points. Well, Naito did say he does not care about the points as long as they weren't too bad (translation: ...as long as I got more than my brother.)

They are not going to be good at this game for a long time but as they have so much fun playing it that I think that their view of the game is just fine.

"Draw 9 circles in the light colored area." Boys draw = circles everywhere!

What a 4 year old draws when given a fish stencil.

Final score (Not that it mattered to the boys...)

Check out more of my reviews at my Growing Up With Games GeekList

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.