14 Posts

Sentinel Tactics: The Flame of Freedom» Forums » General

Subject: Tactics board modification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Huffman
msg tools
This is my first post on bgg.

I love the mechanics of this game. I do have some serious gripes with the layout. I love the idea of the height system but it is extremely annoying on a flat plane to be able to see everything.

I am still waiting on my figures to show up so old heroclix are my piece at the moment.

Last week I found out about spiffy's buildings that he designed. I immediately printed them off and made a few. It got me thinking about how long the game takes to setup already.

So I scraped that idea. I was at the craft store with my wife getting stuff for her quilt when I found foam core. I immediately knew what I wanted to do.

This is the end result I hope you like it.

I made 2 photocopies of every tile.
Pasted 1 of each of them to the foamcore board and cut them out.
Took the 2nd photos and cut out all the heightened squares and cut them out. Made a whole bunch of hex tile pieces and glued them all to the board.

I still have to make the jungle pieces.

Can't wait to play this with friends this Thursday at my local board game store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like it. Everything pops now!

And welcome to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one game with the regular board, and said not a chance will I do that again.

Here's what I did, I should have used black foamcore, but I didn't have any on hand at the time:

There's a world of difference between playing with the elevated buildings and playing without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Huffman
msg tools
Yeah I understand cost probably prevented them from doing this. I would have paid more for the game to include a board like this and minifigures.

It really puts a damper on a fun game. My wife didn't like the game because of this.

Hopefully this gets a better feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post here when you finish with the jungle pieces. I have a bunch of foamcore lying around so I may have to try this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! If the game came with minus and these foam pieces, I'd definitely get it. Too bad there's not an easier way to cut those foam pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
Looks great! If the game came with minus and these foam pieces, I'd definitely get it. Too bad there's not an easier way to cut those foam pieces.

Yup, it's a big pain in the butt. The paper can be cut out with scissors, but when you get to the foamcore, it's all little cuts with a straight edge and a ruler. I was tempted to throw it into my bandsaw, if not for the mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jashah17 wrote:
Yeah I understand cost probably prevented them from doing this. I would have paid more for the game to include a board like this and minifigures.

It really puts a damper on a fun game. My wife didn't like the game because of this.

They made miniatures. They're available at CSI at the very least. Soon they'll even have the pre-painted ones.

Personally, while I love the idea, I don't know what you'd do with Omnitron on the uneven terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
jashah17 wrote:

They made miniatures. They're available at CSI at the very least. Soon they'll even have the pre-painted ones.

Personally, while I love the idea, I don't know what you'd do with Omnitron on the uneven terrain.

From what I've seen, it's not difficult to balance Omnitron by moving the center of his base slightly onto the highest hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Huffman
msg tools
So here are my completed images.

As for multi hex pieces. I will be making some half hex bases for various heights. These will help support the figures when I get them in a few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that really pops. I gotta try this myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
flag msg tools
How do you plan on handling the monorail tokens?

They are all 4 height, but if you run the rails over a 4 high building it will look taller.

I kind of copied your idea and finished the jungle/volcano, but the city has so much stuff and the monorails are making me think.

I was thinking about making extras at varying heights, so I could run it anywhere, but still don't know how to make it look consistent over a 4 height building. Maybe just gluing a few pieces of card stock for rigidity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, found these 1.5" plywood hexes on the litko site, 100 for $20. What do you think? Will these work? Sure beats cutting out all that foam board.

http://www.litko.net/products/Hexagonal-Miniature-Bases%3A-1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eloi Mercier
msg tools
Hello,

I too would like to share my experience in making my own 3d map for sentinel tactics. I basically did the same as Joshua.

I printed two versions of each tile (one low quality, the other high quality - I had to adjust the intensity and the contrast since printing directly from the image from the scan revealed to be too pale). The low quality images were used to shape of the hexes on the foam core.

I've added extra weight to the base of each structure to prevent it to move too easily during the game. As you can see, I literally put some money into it!

I then glue all the corresponding hexes together (with epoxy glue) and tape the coloured images on top (with glue stick).

I'm pretty happy with the result! laugh

I must agree that it is much more pleasant to play with 3d hexes. Especially in the city environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.