Popular Tags: [View All]
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game while on holiday in Bologna recently.
The clarifications here at BGG have been a great help, but there's still a question I have:

Does the game end immediately when either the Things deck runs out for the second time or the Money deck runs out (and there are no discards to reshuffle)?
Or does the player whose turn it is get to complete the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are right: that's not clear.
I'd dare to say that the important thing is to decide it before starting, so everybody knows, and that both solutions are acceptable.
Anyway, that's how I play: if the deck runs out but you get enough cards as you need, go on. As soon as there are no cards left in that deck, and you must get more, the game ends immediately.

Thanks for taking the game!

Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responding personally, Andrea!
(Isn't BGG great? meeple )

I hadn't considered that - that the game ends only when there is a requirement for a card (either Thing or Money) and there aren't any more to be had. So someone could deliberately buy all remaining Thing cards and still complete their turn. Say there are 3 left in the reshuffled deck and the player draws 1 mandatory card and buys the 2 remaining cards - that player can still complete his/her turn (with the advantage of attacking and earning income) and the game will end with the next player at the reinforcement phase (because that is when it is mandatory for a player to get one more card) .

I was going to ask what happens in case that same player wants to buy 3 cards instead of 2 and whether the player still has to pay for the non-existent third card to end the game immediately, but then I realised this will never happen in practice because it is never in the player's interest to do so.

As far as the game ending when Money cards run out, this will only happen during the Income phase of a player's turn. The player can still influence the event to an extent by remembering that the number of Things cards bought during the Reinforcement phase will provide Money cards to be taken during the Income phase. It's unlikely the player will want the round to continue to the next player's turn, because that gives the next player opportunities to conduct attacks.

Much obliged for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well yes, all is as you say. Besides, paying with several little cards or with a few large ones influence the lenght of the game, as attacking with Sarracins (I have seen disappointed players discover that doing so they gave as a gift a new turn to another player). Little tactics that IMHO add to the game.
I will clear the matter in the Morbus Terribilis expansion kit. I have seen nice drawings by Valeria... It should not be too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.