Brent Critchfield
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a creature card game and I am struggling to get all of the information I need on my cards without having them feel cluttered or busy.
The core rules for the game are located here

https://app.box.com/s/pt1nfvds9rut3kxv77im

The numeric bars on the cards are for sliders (Similar to Betrayal at the House on the Hill).

These are the format types I am experimenting with. Any input would be very appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is Gruff right? I saw another post on that.

Like the art style, for some reason reminds me of retro 80s GW.

Not a fan of sliders as they mess up the cards over time, but I guess that's what sleeves or winks are for.

If you have multiple tracks do you need 10 on each? Crashbot Derby has 4 tracks per character but only 0 to 5 per track so real estate is manageable.

Also assuming these are played face up? If these are in-hand then I like the left edges to have icons for the card type or the stat number to ease hand management (c.f. Siege!, Fluxx). If you need slider tracks the right and bottom are good for that. I prefer top to have the card title.

Personally I prefer portrait orientation for easier holding in hand, show off the art, force short flavor text and mechanics text.

My $.02 FWIW. Thanks for sharing the design process, I enjoy watching the evolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Critchfield
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for feedback as well as the other games to look at. Only the card on the far left would be held in hand. The other 2 are permantly in play face-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Critchfield
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to your question yup this is Gruff, I am still chewing away at it. My wife and I actually used to work on the Warhammer 40k MMO a couple years ago so that aesthetic might be bleeding through (she is doing all the art here).

The sliders don't need to go to 10. I think 8 is a worst case scenario with most tracks being much more condensed.

I think most of my readability concerns revolve around the "Gruff" Character card. The game starts with each player having 3 of these creatures in play and there are never any more or less creatures in play. During the course of the match their stats will fluctuate regularly (hence the need for the sliders)I am trying to narrow down to a final format soon, but anything is still on the table.

Someone mentioned having built in sliders that actually sit in a groove. That would require a heavier gauge of cardboard, but I think the idea is interesting and I am still mulling it over.

I was thinking that this checkerboard pattern would be more legible, let me know if you have any ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Critchfield
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So James, I reread you comment and It struck me that I might be able to consolidate all of the information on the bottom track; so I could preserve the top for the card's title. I am pretty excited about this layout! Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that look much better. Glad I could help. Since you already have flavor text just say "+1 Mean when activated", less to speed read.

The cardboard question becomes moot if you use a token instead of a slider on those tracks (c.f. Tiny Epic Kingdoms)...but only if the tokens are not counters...then they're vulnerable to "sneezedoom" aand "tablequake"

Whatever happened to those GW MMOs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 1 track going from 0-8, and these cards lay flat on the table, then you could have 3 different chits/pawns on the single track. The value for fast/mean/weird would be shown by the chit/pawn representing that. You save a bit of space on your card. Potentially, you could then choose cool figurines or nice icons on the chits for the 3 'pawns', where each figurine/icon is representative of the track it deals with.

Or, you might consider stacking the tracks. 1-3, 1-5, 1-8, where 1-3 is on top, 1-8 is on bottom. It might let your picture be a bit bigger, or the tracks a bit bigger. It avoids any issues of pawns being on the exact same space, and it lines all of the 1's up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Critchfield
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I was working on the 40k MMO it was through a studio called Vigil Games that was owned by THQ. When THQ went bankrupt it took that studio and it's projects (and my job) down with it. I heard that another studio was working on a new warhammer 40k MMO but I doubt they are anywhere near completion. MMOs are a really tough genre to develop in.

Concerning using chits and pawns. I think that is a really great idea. The cards currently tap and move a good bit, If I can design that content out of the game I think I could implement the idea without fear of table-quake.

In the meantime I have modeled and printed a set of sliders that I am using for my prototype. I am not sure if they will damage the cards after 50 games, but I am trying to design them so they aren't destructive (I will post an image of them here in the near future... it is getting kinda late).

Anyway I had a bit of an epiphany on the format which was to use tarot-proportioned cards for the goat creature cards, since they would be longer they could also help organize your cards in their box since each goat comes with a specific mini-deck of cards. Again I will try to post an image of what I am saying tomorrow.

anyway here is the newest format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast or Fat? Good epiphany otherwise

I like previous idea of one track 3 markers too, either approach works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Critchfield
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fat!

It is basically the health value for the "Goats" in Gruff. Since they don't really die and since that stat behaves in a slightly different way than people may expect I gave it a different name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.