Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I played this game for the first time last night, reread the rules and now have boiled down my confusion into a few questions.

1. When commanding a unit into melee combat, is the command range of the divisional leader measured to the unit's square of origin or destination? In other words is command needed to activate the unit to move into battle or is command needed for the unit to pass over into the battle square itself?

2. When considering hexside terrain for melee and fire attacks, do you only consider the terrain from the perspective of the hex that you're attacking or do you also consider the hexside of your own terrain as an obstacle that must be crossed? For instance, if I am on a hex with a stream shown on my side of the hexside that I am entering combat from and there's both woods and hills on the destination hex's hexside border do I have to pay all three penalties or only the two for the hexside that I'm attacking into?

3. The rules state that a corps leader may supply but not fire a brigade unit (only a divisional leader may activate that unit for firing). Can a corps leader command the unit for a melee attack?

4. One of the confederate divisional leaders (Trimbell?) is designated as ANV (Army of Northern Virginia) instead of one of the three corps groups. I guess he can only be supplied by Lee directly. What units can he supply (I didn't see and ANV brigades).

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
latindog wrote:

1. When commanding a unit into melee combat, is the command range of the divisional leader measured to the unit's square of origin or destination? In other words is command needed to activate the unit to move into battle or is command needed for the unit to pass over into the battle square itself?

Origin.

latindog wrote:

2. When considering hexside terrain for melee and fire attacks, do you only consider the terrain from the perspective of the hex that you're attacking or do you also consider the hexside of your own terrain as an obstacle that must be crossed? For instance, if I am on a hex with a stream shown on my side of the hexside that I am entering combat from and there's both woods and hills on the destination hex's hexside border do I have to pay all three penalties or only the two for the hexside that I'm attacking into?

All hexside terrain must be taken into account.
5.22 Terrain Effects
Some terrain types have a Fire penalty
that reduces firepower. Hence firing through
a Woods hexside is –1 (B2=B1). Terrain
penalties are cumulative and can result in
firepower 0 (no roll). Hence, Woods+River is
–2 (A3=A1). See the Terrain Effects chart on
the back page for penalties.

latindog wrote:

3. The rules state that a corps leader may supply but not fire a brigade unit (only a divisional leader may activate that unit for firing). Can a corps leader command the unit for a melee attack?

No. Fire and Melee combat are considered as equivalent from a command perspective as a unit may only perform one or the other.

latindog wrote:

4. One of the confederate divisional leaders (Trimbell?) is designated as ANV (Army of Northern Virginia) instead of one of the three corps groups. I guess he can only be supplied by Lee directly. What units can he supply (I didn't see and ANV brigades).

From CSA OOB:
TRIMBLE is a replacement DHQ who travelled with the
army. He is used (at full strength) to replace the first
fallen CSA DHQ. Historically, Trimble led Pender’s
division on Pickett’s Charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for your responses. I got the same responses for the first three on consim world so these all have confirmation now.

Thanks for noticing the info on Trimble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.