Rattlebones» Forums » General

Subject: OK, I'm going for it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that information and detailed feedback from people who have tried this game is thin on the ground and I NEVER buy games that I haven't had plenty of time to think and think (and think) about but to hell with it Rattlebones looks too good to miss so dammit I am going for it. Hope to play tonight and then post at least our impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I think those of us that own it are still trying to figure out what it is. I'll admit I've avoided posting because I've only played it a handful of times and don't want to put down things on the internet when I might change my mind later (be it good or bad). I'll be interested to hear what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Murr wrote:
Mostly I think those of us that own it are still trying to figure out what it is. I'll admit I've avoided posting because I've only played it a handful of times and don't want to put down things on the internet when I might change my mind later (be it good or bad). I'll be interested to hear what you think

Will you delete this post once you do have an opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about taking the plunge as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Mostly I think those of us that own it are still trying to figure out what it is.

Figure out what it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's a roll-and-move, point-salad, dicefest.

Wait! Come back!

Yes, it's all of those things. But the main mechanism is the ability to actually, PHYSICALLY build your dice. You can remove the sides and replace them with other sides that give you the ability to score points.

Oddly enough (and unbeknownst to me when I "came up with the idea") these dice have been around since the 1990s -- invented by Dirk Laureyssens.

It's a light, family game heavily inspired by those wonderful Wolfgang Kramer roll-and-move games (Midnight Party, Heimlich & Co, Verflixxt, etc). I think it's terrific fun and I hope you do too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Murr wrote:
Mostly I think those of us that own it are still trying to figure out what it is.

Figure out what it is?

Yes, because after 5 plays, I have yet to see a game won that doesn't include a Star strategy of loading up on re-rolls / arrows for one die, and putting stars on the other two. Score a "4 Star set" twice for 15 pts each (30 pts out of about 40 to 45 to win) and game over, she manages to pick up the stray point here or there with the +1 Pt face or Gamble die face, or just cash in a couple of "2 Star sets." If you have the 9 Pip Movement face in the game, it's even quicker than that. We've played it 2 player 3 times, 4 player once, and 3 player once. Every game.. same thing.

I've tried Trains, I've tried the +1 Pts., I've purposely NOT taken stars after our first game and my wife continuously goes re-rolls / arrows / stars and beats me badly.

I'm still trying to figure out what this game is

I want to like this game, I have faith I'll figure out how to do something other than Stars, I just need more plays. It's staying in my collection. I also want to see what the "Black Thumb" expansion adds to the game - You are still working on that I hope. I'm also waiting to see if anyone else has figured out things about the game. It's going no where for the foreseeable future. It's a really neat game and concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... Sense of enthusiasm is waning slightly. Is the 9 pip face space always on the board? If something like that pretty much 'guarantees' freedom of movement, that doesn't sound so great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
No, 9-pip is not always on the board. It's one of the optional spaces.

Having the ability to sell four stars equals 3.75 per star rolled. That's higher than the average points-per-roll but I was factoring in the fact that you needed to actually GET to the space to sell those stars. Plus, if there's a robber out there he can steal those stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I will say that the values for STARS was something I wrestled with. Here are some values we considered:

1 star = 3 pts
2 stars = 6 pts
3 stars = 9 pts
4 stars = 12 pts

If those values work better for you, then go for it. But I wouldn't go any lower than that. Our tests found them borderline "under" valued.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, this is precisely what's appealing to me about your game - yes you can have a plan of attack and aim to build your dice to match that plan but you need to (a) do so in accordance with what's available on today's board and (b) get to the spaces you need to in order to get what you need, (c) actually roll what you need to pull it off and then (d) try and achieve that without someone else getting ahead or mucking it up totally for you. Sounds great to me.

I see that only part of the board is randomised each game. Any reason why you couldn't (or wouldn't) randomise the whole board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Well, there were some spaces that I felt were a basic, minimum requirement. Stars, Gold, Points, Trains, Re-roll, etc. I felt all games should have these.

The other spaces are repeats of spaces already on the board and things that I felt were more "variations" on the basic theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I want to like this game, I have faith I'll figure out how to do something other than Stars, I just need more plays. It's staying in my collection. I also want to see what the "Black Thumb" expansion adds to the game - You are still working on that I hope. I'm also waiting to see if anyone else has figured out things about the game. It's going no where for the foreseeable future. It's a really neat game and concept.

Black thumb expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The pre-production copy that Jay brought to Gen Con had die faces with ink that rubbed off on people's thumbs. I'm happy to say that problem has been corrected.

I may have Tweeted a joke about a "black thumb expansion." Sounds like something I'd do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
Yes, because after 5 plays, I have yet to see a game won that doesn't include a Star strategy of loading up on re-rolls / arrows for one die, and putting stars on the other two. Score a "4 Star set" twice for 15 pts each (30 pts out of about 40 to 45 to win) and game over, she manages to pick up the stray point here or there with the +1 Pt face or Gamble die face, or just cash in a couple of "2 Star sets." If you have the 9 Pip Movement face in the game, it's even quicker than that. We've played it 2 player 3 times, 4 player once, and 3 player once. Every game.. same thing.

I won a game with no stars at all. I went heavy into stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
The pre-production copy that Jay brought to Gen Con had die faces with ink that rubbed off on people's thumbs. I'm happy to say that problem has been corrected.

I may have Tweeted a joke about a "black thumb expansion." Sounds like something I'd do.

Actually it was here at BGG

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16653355#16653355
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
Murr wrote:

I won a game with no stars at all. I went heavy into stock.

I hope to get more plays in around Christmas when my family comes up to visit and see what it plays like with a full 4 players over several plays. And I was hesitant to post anything until after I had more plays than 5, but I had to explain myself after a few posts. I've been following this game since GenCon, I walked into my FLGS a few weeks back, he said "Hey I got this game Rattlebones in, do you know..." ... "I'll take it, I've been waiting for that since August" - I didn't even let him finish then proceeded to tell him everything I knew about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.