Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mangan
United States
Freeport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to figure out what keeps players honest when a stock goes bankrupt. I know the rules say players turn in the bankrupt stock certificates (cards). But if this is hidden information, then what is to keep a player from keeping the stock? This may be an oversight (oops, I didn't see that one in my split pile), or a player could be waiting for the stock to reset.

Have you considered making a rule where when a stock goes bankrupt, all players reveal their stocks? I can see this creating incentive to keep stocks from going bankrupt.

Just a thought. Love the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmangan2 wrote:
Just trying to figure out what keeps players honest when a stock goes bankrupt. I know the rules say players turn in the bankrupt stock certificates (cards). But if this is hidden information, then what is to keep a player from keeping the stock? This may be an oversight (oops, I didn't see that one in my split pile), or a player could be waiting for the stock to reset.

Have you considered making a rule where when a stock goes bankrupt, all players reveal their stocks? I can see this creating incentive to keep stocks from going bankrupt.

Just a thought. Love the game!

Great Question! I'm glad you love the game. Nothing makes me happier than to see others having fun with the game.

Those are good points. I don't think we are going to force people to show that they don't have any of a Stock that went bankrupt. It's going to be like settlers of catan's monopoly development card. If you ask for everyone's brick cards, you'll just have to trust they gave them to you. If you don't trust the people you play with, you are welcome to house rule this. On a similar note we have decided to force players to show their stock that split, but I don't think we will force players to show for a bankruptcy.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also if you haven't already, please consider giving Stockpile a rating here on BoardGameGeek. What ever rating you feel is fair. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Malo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Keep an open mind; let yourself be amazed but not fooled.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have another kind of question regarding bankrupcies. The rules state that a bankrupt stock returns to its starting value (5) after all stocks have been discarded. But nothing is said about when this return should be made and, most of all, if further movements can be made on the bankrupt stock in the same round during either the action or movement phase.

Let's say a stock goes bankrupt by a bust action. Which of the following 2 scenarii should we follow (after stock discards):
A) that stock can't be moved from the bankrupt sign and returns to 5 only at the start of the next turn.
B) that stock returns to 5 and then further actions or stock movements can make it go up/down again from there, even to the point of making it skyrocket again in the same turn.

IMHO, the most realistic scenario would be option A.

Bare in mind that I'm aware nobody has any stock at that point but it can potentially disrupt game realism the following bids. Example: we saw a stock go bankrupt then go to 13 in the same round. I lost 3 of that stock and am currently facing the prospect of no even being able to buy further of that stock if bids go high enough to get them next round.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ardestat wrote:
Hi,
I have another kind of question regarding bankrupcies. The rules state that a bankrupt stock returns to its starting value (5) after all stocks have been discarded. But nothing is said about when this return should be made and, most of all, if further movements can be made on the bankrupt stock in the same round during either the action or movement phase.

Let's say a stock goes bankrupt by a bust action. Which of the following 2 scenarii should we follow (after stock discards):
A) that stock can't be moved from the bankrupt sign and returns to 5 only at the start of the next turn.
B) that stock returns to 5 and then further actions or stock movements can make it go up/down again from there, even to the point of making it skyrocket again in the same turn.

IMHO, the most realistic scenario would be option A.

Bare in mind that I'm aware nobody has any stock at that point but it can potentially disrupt game realism the following bids. Example: we saw a stock go bankrupt then go to 13 in the same round. I lost 3 of that stock and am currently facing the prospect of no even being able to buy further of that stock if bids go high enough to get them next round.

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Option B is the intended behavior.

I'm personally ok with house rules if something really bothers you and everyone else is ok with it. I can't image either option greatly affecting the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.