Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: To Scrap or Not to Scrap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Sessions
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some help with clarifying the scrap rules/instructions.

1. As I read the rules, during your turn you can scrap a card. Is this correct or not?

2. If it is correct, then we struggle understanding the Red faction's power. What is the advantage of their power to scrap cards when everyone else has this power? I can see how it is powerful for those cards that allow you to scrap a card in your discard pile, but again, what's the difference to scrap a card in your hand if everyone has that ability?

OR

3. Is scrapping only able to be performed by the Red faction's power?

Need the experience and expertise of the BGG community to help clarify this for me. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can scrap a card using their Scrapping ability. You can not choose to just get rid of a card without the ability. None of the Scout / Viper start cards have a scrapping ability, so you need another card to get rid of them (where the Machine Cult comes in).

For example, you buy an Explorer, it goes into your discard pile. When you next draw it, you can play it to gain two buying power, then scrap it (remove from play) to gain two attack, because it has the trashcan=scrapping ability.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only scrap a card when the card gives you that ability. In other words, you cannot scrap a card just because you want to unless a card tells you to...

Red's power is that it has several cards which allow you to scrap cards in your hand and discard pile. Deck thinning is a very important strategy in many deckbuilding games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grayparkholl wrote:
I need some help with clarifying the scrap rules/instructions.

1. As I read the rules, during your turn you can scrap a card. Is this correct or not?

2. If it is correct, then we struggle understanding the Red faction's power. What is the advantage of their power to scrap cards when everyone else has this power? I can see how it is powerful for those cards that allow you to scrap a card in your discard pile, but again, what's the difference to scrap a card in your hand if everyone has that ability?

OR

3. Is scrapping only able to be performed by the Red faction's power?

Need the experience and expertise of the BGG community to help clarify this for me. Thanks!


1. No, you can't - there is no standard "one scrap per turn" rule. You can only scrap if a card allows you to do so by either having this info in the text or by sporting a dust bin on the card.

3. Red faction cards often offer scrap abilities in the text that allows you to scrap OTHER cards than the one played. On top of that you have cards with a dustbin, such as the explorer. If you use this scrap ability, you scrap that very card and no other card.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, you can only scrap by way of (red) cards that give you that ability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SO...just to clarify...you can play a card for it's primary effect, get it's ally effect is another of the same faction is played/on the field and then scrap it for the scrap effect?

Have only played 2 games, and was told you could either play or scrap.

Thanks in advance!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:
SO...just to clarify...you can play a card for it's primary effect, get it's ally effect is another of the same faction is played/on the field and then scrap it for the scrap effect?

Have only played 2 games, and was told you could either play or scrap.

Thanks in advance!



Exactly this. There's a free app out there if you have a smartphone or tablet, one or two quick games will teach you basically everything there is to know, mechanically
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Machine Cult cards allow to scrap cards from your hand or from your discard pile (or both). The trashcan-marked scrap abilities of the cards themselves can only be used after you have played the cards, getting their other effects before scrapping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brewdinar wrote:
TheOneEared wrote:
SO...just to clarify...you can play a card for it's primary effect, get it's ally effect is another of the same faction is played/on the field and then scrap it for the scrap effect?

Have only played 2 games, and was told you could either play or scrap.

Thanks in advance!



Exactly this. There's a free app out there if you have a smartphone or tablet, one or two quick games will teach you basically everything there is to know, mechanically


Thank you kindly! I'll stick to the cards methinks (and read the rulebook myself lol)...can't beat physically having and playing the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
The Machine Cult cards allow to scrap cards from your hand or from your discard pile (or both). The trashcan-marked scrap abilities of the cards themselves can only be used after you have played the cards, getting their other effects before scrapping.


Thank you kindly
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Keel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jumping in on this thread to clarify the term "your hand", as it applies to scrapping. My take is that means the 5 cards (or more if you have that ability) currently in play and NOT the rest of your cards in your draw pile. Is that correct? Thanks so much!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your hand is the unplayed cards in your hand. Draw or discard is not your hand. There is no effect that would scrap from the draw pile, and scrap from discard is specified separately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.