Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that an unit on an ocean square cannot battle. It is clear to me that it cannot shoot at anybody but: can it be attacked?
Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked through the rules and cannot find anything that forbids attacking a unit in the ocean. You might want to check DoW's website on the FAQs. Generally, only artillery would be in range, but it makes sense that a unit in the ocean could be attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find anything about this in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're attempting to parse the rule a bit too finely.

Fortunately for us, the _Memoir_ rules are very well written. "Battle" is an action. The rules do not refer to defending units as "Battling." Ever. So it seems pretty clear to me.

Also, look at the "Battle Range" sections. Armor, for example, "may battle ANY unit 3 or fewer hexes away [emphasis mine]." It does not say that it may battle units 3 or fewer hexes away unless they're in the water.

Besides, this game takes its History really seriously. Do you think the oficcial game of the 60th anniversary of D-Day would honor the brave men who stormed the beaches of Normandy by modelling that they were safe in the water?

I hope this clears it up for you.

[edited for typo]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely helps. Looking how many rules questions are posted here and in the FAQ, I see that despite being well-written, the rules leave room for uncertainty sometimes. Not rarely I think the rules mean one thing just to find out it is supposed to be the other way. The designer has changed the bridge/LOS rules at least once. The sandbags removal after elimination of the last unit has been a point of uncertainty among some players here just to point out a couple. Thanks for your assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to suggest they're perfect, or not open to interpretation in any number of places. The first several times I played, we played the "counter attack" card as an extra attack- that is, the player who played the counter attack then took another turn. In case you're wondering, playing that way made it a totally broken card.

I called them well written in this specific case because we can take advantage of their consistency to get at the meat of your original question. For example, have you ever read a set of rules that plays loose and fast with the distinction between a turn and a phase? Those are the kind of rules I'm making the comparison with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes. The rules are clear on this aspect. Units in Ocean hexes may be targetted. If they were not able to be targetted, it would clarify that units battling into these areas would be at a dice disadvantage or not able to battle. The only restriction is for those units battling out, as you already know.

As a side not, unless specifically stated in the scenario set-up, sandbags are always removed if they are found in an empty hex. It doesn't make sense from a "reality perspective" if you think of sandbags as only sandbags. But they represent a generic game concept of being "dug in" or some other fortuitous position that cannot be duplicated once the unit in the hex leaves that hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.