Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played all the scenarios twice in the base pack, and will be starting on the Terrain Pack and Eastern Front this week, so we thought we'd play an official scenario from the DoW website. Being Canadian, we were very intrigued by playing out the Canadians part on D-day at Juno Beach.

Me: Canucks
Penny: Germans

Haunted by the Raid on Dieppe, the Canucks hit the beach and hit the right flank hard, hoping to sweep in on the German defences. Early advances against both the bunker on the right side of the Seulles and in Vaux was made successful by a barrage on the bunker, cleaning it out, and the Canucks gained their first medal. The Germans fought back, anmd although they evacuated Vaux in the face of fire, they quickly returned and occupied the town again.

Having virtually cleared the right flank, the Canucks had difficulty following up on their initial success, and instead concentrated on the centre section. In answer to this, the Germans initiated a firefight, to which the Canaidans sustained heavy casualties in the centre with two units nearly being eliminated.

The Canucks then renewed their advance on the right flank, wearing down the units in Vaux and capturing the right flank bridge on the Seulles. The Canucks now had two medals with Germany still at zero. Vaux proved persistent and a Canuck unit, followed by another in the centre were eliminated, tying the medal count at two a piece.

The Canucks still held the bridge despite heavy artillery fire, while command was still unable to capitalize on the early advances in this section. Instead gains were made on the left flank, as the Canucks advanced into the outskirts of Courseulles-sur-mer. The Germans immediately reinforced the town centre.

In a well executed infantry assualt, the Germans eliminated two of the weakened Canadian units, and forced the Canucks to retreat from the bridge.

Forced to retreat from the bridge, the Canucks responded with hard fighting in a close assault, finally occupying Vaux, and eliminating two other units, taking the lead five medals to four.

The Germans then re-enforced the bunker recently vacated by the Canadian close assault, and eliminated the reteating Canadian unit, tying the medal count at five.

A havy push on the recently re-enforced bunker nearly eliminated a German unit, but the Germans attacked Vaux, the twon the Canadians fought so hard to occupy and re-captured, carrying the day 6-4.

While the Canadians fought hard, communication problems on the right flank weakened their attack. The many obstacles on the beach also hampered the assault, especially mobilizing armor.

Germans: me
Canucks: Penny

Having learned the Canadians' weaknesses in an earlier assault the Germans were well prepared for the Canadians assault. However, an early barrage by the Canadians took out the German artillery very early in the battle!

The Germans fought hard and repelled all the early advances made by the Canucks, but a commando team sent behind enemy lines nearly eliminated the left flank bunker. Despite hard fought skirmishes the battle was quite indecisive initially with the Germans leading one medal to none. Furhter fighting upped the count to 2-1 for the Germans, with their still being no clear favourite in the battle.

Clearly, however, the Canucks had learned from their mistakes. While keeping the right flank bunker busy, they heavily assaulted Vaux and captured it about mid-point in the battle, and took the lead 3-2.

The German bunkers had been hit hard, with the left flank down to one and the right flank empty. The empty bunker was re-enforced, but was quickly hit hard wand was also down to one.

The Canucks steamrolled over the Germans right flank, took damage, but cleared the section, leaving the medal count at 4-4.

The Germans had to hold the remaining town hexs of Grape-sur-mer and Courseulles-sur-mer at all costs to prevent the Canucks from gaining any more medals. The most vital areas on the town were re-enforced with units and sandbags.

Despite these defensive measures, consecutive armored assaults by the the Canadians drove the German unit out of Courseulles-sur-mer, and the Canucks won the day 6-4.

Command was well co-ordinated for the Canadians in this battle and the Germans were hit hard in all sections.

Final Score:

Me-9
Penny-12

This is a very good scenario. We will be printing off other official scenarios as well as those from the front from DoW. There are a number of scenarios involving Canadian troops that we want to try.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I discovered that there was no Canadian nationality badge in the Terrain Pack (after all if New Zealand and Australia can have one, why not us?)

Also, while others have criticized the influence cards have on how you co-ordinate your attack, I quite enjoy the problems they pose while trying to co-ordinate your attack. It is war after all and not all plans can go smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Donnelly
Canada
Unspecified
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Long ago, I posted four Canadian scenarios in the files section here on BGG: Jumpoff@Juno, Counterstroke@Caen, PanthersProwl, and Ordeal@Ortona. They're based on some of the most interesting Canadian actions, and I think they're pretty challenging for both sides. I hope you'll give them a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I checked out those files and will give them a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.