3 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant ideas for RiF 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
After reading RiF 3 it seems like to me somethings missing from the event as has been talked about in other posts on the board. I don't really see any reason to try and go into the Borg Nebula.

Does anyone have any ideas they would like to share on how to mix this event up or to make people more likely to try and play the mission not just fight outside of borg space?

My first thought is just change the win condition to most fleet points, with the round ending if only 1 player has ship(s) left in the play area at the Planning Phase.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1. Remove this line from the rules.
Quote:
2) When one player has no ships left in the play area
during any Planning Phase (either destroyed, in a
transwarp conduit or in the Alpha Quadrant). In this
case, the player with any ship(s) left in the play area
is the winner. OR

I could send all my ships thru to the alpha quadrant, and my opponent could turtle in his deployment zone and he would win. This win condition is a MAJOR problem. I do agree that it should be an end game trigger. I don't want to see a player play against the scenario after they have aced their opponents fleet.

Step 2. Sweeten the pot for going to the conduit.
As written, if I get 1 ship to the Alpha Quad, I get +20 fleet points. Lets say my venue runs the suggested format, and I get my 50 point ship thru. I've denied my opponent 50 points, and gained 20 in return for it. If my opponent aces the remaining 70 points of my fleet, I need to take 51 fleet points from them, while also preventing them from entering the hub. Getting back to the Alpha Quadrant seems to be the point of the scenario. I'd like to play-test it, but I would suggest that you gain fleet points equal to the ship value of what makes it thru. Send a 50 point ship thru, get 50 points. Send all 120 points thru, get 120 points, and deny my opponent the ability get any fleet points in return. Provided we both don't make the conduit on the same turn, that should trigger a win for me.

Also, destroying the conduit is a current non incentive. I can discard upgrades to give fleet points to my opponent, in a chance to gain +40 fleet points. The problem here is not the gifting of fleet points to my opponent, it's the reward that I get for doing so. This should be a bonus battle point. It's the final month. Introduction of a bonus battle point can skew the results. At the venue I play at, the same person won M1 and M2. Thanks to the event win bonus, they are virtually uncatchable. A bonus battle point could have made things interesting.

Step 3. Investigate the possibility of making the nebula expand. As the scenario is currently written, if my opponent and I have zero interest in playing in the nebula, and zero interest in going for the alpha quadrant, we're playing on a 36x18 play area with a soft border on the West edge. What if the Nebula encroached after every game turn? What if it moved East at the rate of Range 1 per turn? Now, I can't play a game where my opponent and I ignore the nebula. Maybe if I cant ignore it, it provides incentive enough to run to the Alpha Quadrant. It would need playtesting, but it's more interesting that what is written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the big problem stems from the nebula rulings making any 50 point or less ship practically impossible to fly for a sustained duration in the nebula. If it weren't so much a punishment to even try for the conduit it would be easier to consider going for the Alpha Quadrant.

A possible solution could be to ready defenses against the nebula effects as a scenario action of some sort. The only reason Voyager got home was because they borrowed future tech in the show. Develop a way to represent that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.