12 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: SHDA Campaign variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi. This has been a long time in the making. I fell in love with SHDA the very first time I played it. Once I bought and played the basic pack I carnivorously devoured the PODs. My thirst, however, was not satiated.

I need to say thank you to Raven and Chopperweb for their variants/expansions. Their additions have been fantastic for expanding this game's already deep re-playability and my further enjoyment.

When I began messing with Chopperweb's promotion variant, that is when the campaign scratch really began to itch. I so wanted to take my Marines and see them grow over time. I have played, conferred, and ultimately twisted his ideas so that they work within my campaign.

I have taken many of Raven's locations, voidlocks, terrains, and Marines and used them to great effect. Some are slightly tweaked and others I just upgraded the look of the card.

The last person I need to thank is Tantalon. He was the sole person on site to initially look at my very first attempt at a campaign and provided me some tough feedback. I originally was intent on just taking my Marines and pushing them through 3 Voidlocks worth of pain just to see them get promoted. Tantalon basically read my stuff and said, "Blah! You need a reason for this, a story." My response was, no that is not what I am after. Well, after many months of pondering, I eventually came up with a story arc. The overall product is much better because of his push.

Thank you all!

I have made over 70 attempts at this campaign. Unfortunately I have played it solo for most tries and only have 3 two person attempts. I am really curious how it will work with the interactions of multiple players.

Please make the attempt to play before inferring how something may or may not work (specifically the promotions). I have only beat this campaign once out of all those attempts. I do not believe them [promotions] yet, to be overpowered.

So, realize I am not a story writer. Feedback on how to write it better, rules clarifications, or suggestions for additional options are always welcome. I look forward to hearing from any of you.

Unfortunately I cannot post this to the site as I really don't care for mocked up cards that are not done similarly to the original. That said, these cards use a lot of images that I just found doing searches on-line and I did not ask for permission.

Anyone interested, please PM and I will email the data. It is almost an 8 MB PowerPoint file meant to be universally accessible and instantly ready for print.

Enjoy.

[edit: File is actually 10 MB now. I added character images back into Capt. Michelus' card]

T Owen
aka
Lowlight/Solo14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Montes
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only given it a try as a 2 player and we got completely squashed on the first mission.

The setup

Void Lock: Standard
Teams: Red, Purple, Blue and Yellow
Environment: Acrid Vapor
Psychosis: Red Thirst on the Purple team

The result

We got eaten by the third room due to TERRIBLE bad luck with the dice. No Marine ever got to upgrade

First impressions

We really hated the Red Thirst. It made the purple team play in automatic mode with no choices available on each turn which was no fun.

Acrid vapor worked more to our advantage than the GS since we never rolled a 1 but the GS kept missing by 1, but still could not roll any skulls and as the GS kept pilling up, they started eating us 1 at a time without need to roll any dice.

Never had a chance to promote a marine so no feedback there.

Next attempt

We are currently on vacation. When we get back home we'll give it another go removing the Red Thirst psychosis and report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It never dawned on me about red thirst making a team boring. Red thirst basically gives a support token to each of your marines on that team every turn but takes away the special ability. While powerful in basically giving you two actions per turn you are limited to choosing attack or move/activate actions only each turn. I can see your point. My biggest fear is making something too powerful.

The intent was to just add a little more flavor to the campaign different from the game. The good news is that you are never guaranteed a psychosis.

If you have any ideas on red thirst after a few more plays, let me hear them.

Appreciate the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Montes
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking aloud here, bear with me...

The only thing I hate about the Red Thirst is how it removes one of the 3 cards from that team, meaning each round after the first, the team has only 1 card to choose actions from. I think that destroys the very essence of the game, which is the action puzzle

Now thinking about the role of the psychosis in a campaign variant, I feel like the intention is to make a marine or team to go out in a blaze of glory (as they won't be available on the next mission). On the other hand the psychosis provide an advantage and a disadvantage and it doesn't feel like they lean towards either, so basically they add variance but don't modify the difficulty of the game.

So putting my thoughts in order, Red Thirst should:

- Not limit the action selection
- Provide a singular advantage to the team/marine affected
- Provide a singular disadvantage to the team/marine affected
- Thematically represent a mindless destruction rage (i.e. being aggressive and less tactical)
- Alter the way you would normally choose your strategy to provide a different game experience

How about this:

Red Thirst only affects one marine. When the affected marine attacks, it attacks every swarm in range considering facing (use only one roll for all the swarms, for simplicity) after the action has been resolved (i.e. after all rerolls involved) remove a support token from each marine engaged with those swarms.
When the affected marine's team uses a suppport action, place an additional support token on the affected marine. The affected marine cannot use support tokens to reroll defense, only attack rolls.

Explanation:

In my mind the affected marine is throwing bullets carelessly around, shooting stuff and the rest of the marines have to be wary of his rage, thus spending support to get out of the way.

What I like about this new version is that the action puzzle is still there, but the cost/benefit that you need to analyze is a bit different. The attack action has become so much more powerful, allowing for more use of the attack reroll (which is not very oftenly used) due to the additional limited support tokens but the high cost of removing support tokens from every marine engaged should also be weighted. On the other hand, the situation changes drastically depending on which marine gets affected: red's triple attack can be devastating as well as Lexicanum chained attacks. On the other hand, green and yellow range 0 marines can be used much more safely but they are also very limited in their destruction power.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like your listed out thoughts. Just the idea of not losing the action feels right to me. I definitely need to rethink red thirst.

I can see where you are going with your idea but I think that effect is going to be too much with certain teams and the promotions.

Hmmmmm.........

Red Thirst - When a Marine infected with the Red Thirst makes an attack, immediately after, he must gather all available support tokens within his range from his fellow Marines. He must attack with a normal attack until all support tokens are gone or he cannot reach a Xenos. If a swarm is defeated, he may attack another swarm. Unused tokens on this Marine may only be used for offense.

So, no need for facing wording because that is normal rules and promotions will work with this. The marine will either run out of xenos within range or tokens to limit attacks. The cost to be able to make more than one attack is to drain his brothers of their tokens leaving them vulnerable. Special attacks cannot be augmented, I.e. The red triple attack will not fire off twice. A Marine can choose not to roll an attack during their action phase saving the team, however, there are event cards that trigger an attack that will force red thirst. This leave your action puzzle in place.

How about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Montes
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't understand this part:

Quote:
He must attack with a normal attack until all support tokens are gone or he cannot reach a Xenos

What is a "normal attack" in this context? Also, it is not explicitly written but I understand that you basically keep shooting at the cost of a support token per attack, is that right?

Overall, it looks better than the original. Have to test

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, the cost to continue shooting is a token.

A normal attack is not a special attack such as Brother Leon's text. He would roll extra normal attacks like his partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Matius, your comments have been well appreciated. They made me go back and re-look at what the red thirst and black rage were based on the blood angel lore.

I believe Red Thirst is actually better suited to the double attack, followed by the attempt to slay a fellow Marine. That is the flaw as described.

I might change Black Rage to, if you can attack you must. On a Skull, slay the entire Swarm. On a 0, the Marine has rushed too far forward and been overwhelmed!

Black Rage is go big or go home, but you are limited in actions until the Marine is killed. I know you already didn't like the previous version but I don't see this one lasting long with how often 0 seems to get rolled.

Only one Marine from a team would be affected. Neither psychosis is guaranteed. I would leave the random roll as previously described but possibly not have it at the start of the game but trigger during each Voidlock to thematically reflect their stress. It would trigger only if things go badly.......like so:

Per Voidlock, at the start of the first turn where only half or less of your initial Marines are left, make a Psychosis check. Pick a random Marine. On a roll of 1, that Marine exhibits signs of the Black Rage. On a 0, Red Thirst.

Thoughts? Anyone?

I like this much better for thematic enhancement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all. Over the last year I have responded to a number of messages asking for access to this campaign variant.

Is it possible to get some feedback?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only just bought the game (but played it quite a few times) so I will have a go at the campaign as soon as I get a few victories under my belt. Congratulations on your good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Bertoni
msg tools
I'm interested
Send you PM thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.