Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the image here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2272912/great-war-command..., it shows a map that is 11 hexes high (whereas CC is 10).

Why 1 additional hex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch. Now we know we won't be able to use maps from CC:E here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
war_hero wrote:
In the image here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2272912/great-war-command..., it shows a map that is 11 hexes high (whereas CC is 10).

Why 1 additional hex?

It's a french game, so hexes are in meters instead of yards, hence another row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game design and map dimensions are probably not completed yet.

From the image... I am guessing the boards are going to be somewhat geomorphic... but only in two positions as the top and bottom look to be in a locking pattern... unless each board is its own scenario.

15x11 hexes... but what is the final width of each hex face?... I don't play Combat Commander
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, kind of a big deal. A lot of the way the system works is based on the size of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
The game design and map dimensions are probably not completed yet.

From the image... I am guessing the boards are going to be somewhat geomorphic... but only in two positions as the top and bottom look to be in a locking pattern... unless each board is its own scenario.

15x11 hexes... but what is the final width of each hex face?... I don't play Combat Commander

My guess is there will be no geomorphic maps. Every card references some hex, so having two maps side by side would mean two different hexes with the same coordinates.

If this works like CC:E, some event will ask for a random hex to be determined (maybe something along the lines of "blaze: put a fire marker in a random hex"). The player reveals the first card of the deck and applies the event effect to the hex named. In the card shown that would be A2. What happens if there are two or more A2 hexes?

I don't really know how different will be this game to CC:E, so maybe this isn't really a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other stuff....The CC maps have a total of 150 hexes and the cards provide for random hexes in 144 of them. One deck calls out odd random hexes, the other the evens. Six hexes are not called out as random, but I believe this is why a lot of the random events say "in or adjacent" in their text.

If Great War Commander uses 72 card decks, the 15 x 11 hex map and the same structure for random hexes on the cards there will be a total of 21 hexes not called out on the cards. Maybe this won't matter if the events that call out random hexes in GWC also use adjacency, but it may be some hexes never get used as random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from the Hexasim website:
"The maps are deeper, allowing more playing surface to maneuver two battalion-size forces facing each other."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
"The maps are deeper, allowing more playing surface to maneuver two battalion-size forces facing each other."

Wow, there was that much more density of troops in WWI?

In WW2, battalions attacked on frontages ranging from 400m to 1,000m, depending on nationality, so well beyond the scale of this map. And defence is much more spread out. Battalions in WW2 were required to defend on frontages that sometimes exceeded 2 kilometres (British), again depending on national doctrine, i.e, German battalions defended on frontages that ranged from 800m to 2,000m.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, depending on the phase of the war, the forces were still fighting in rather packed formations with bayonet charges and such. The idea of the massed charge was still the prevalent thinking at the time . . . AFAIK. I can believe it.

Especially if it's Americans and Germans . . . the U.S. had those huge, sprawling divisions and little to no experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Mantuanwar wrote:

Wow, there was that much more density of troops in WWI?

Your question also makes me wonder how many soldiers a counter will represent. It must be way more than in CC:E, otherwise the board will be flooded with counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if it is purpose built so you won't be able to use Combat Commander maps and thus are encouraged to buy expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.