Subject: How do you decide on next mission? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone explain how you decide which next missions are available in a campaign.

I get you draw two mission cards to pick from, but you still need to follow the campaign log and pick a side mission if that is next in line, right?

And how do forced missions happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Could someone explain how you decide which next missions are available in a campaign.

I get you draw two mission cards to pick from, but you still need to follow the campaign log and pick a side mission if that is next in line, right?

And how do forced missions happen?

Whether you do story or side mission is laid out in the campaign. (In the base campaign, it alternates.)
If you do a story mission, which one is determined by how well the rebels did in the previous story mission.
For side missions, you will have 2 randomly chosen to pick from. Sometimes there may also be an Agenda Mission played by the Imperials. If it's non-forced, you can choose it instead of a regular side mission (and if you don't, the Empire generally gets a reward.)
For forced missions, the Empire plays a card that forces that mission - you do it in addition to all other missions, it doesn't take the place of anything in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the back of the Campaign Guide, for the order of story and side missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forced Missions happen immediately (and usually part of the Imperial Upgrade phase, when he buys an Agenda Card that is a Forced Mission card, though sometimes happens as a conclusion of a mission). You basically pause the game, do the mission, then continue.

Side missions are built by the rebels at the beginning of the campaign, and you draw 2 at the beginning. Then after completing one, you draw another (so you'll always have at least 2 to choose from). The Imperial player can throw in side missions too, and it's up to the Rebels if they want to to the Imp's side mission or their own (and usually if they skip the Imp's, the Imp gains the rewards automatically). When you do these side missions is dictated by the campaign. In this first campaign, it's almost every other Story Mission (i.e. do a Story mission, then a Side mission, then a Story mission, etc). The Campaign Log at the back of the manual shows when to do side missions.

And lastly, the Story missions are determined by whomever won the previous Story mission. It always states, "Put mission XYZ into play" which is when the players do a story mission in the campaign, they play that one.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan R
United States
ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Look at the back of the Campaign Guide, for the order of story and side missions.

Like youperguy said the campaign guide is on the back of the campaign manual. It shows you how you progress after the opening mission "aftermath". From there follow the mission clean up steps which I believe in the Learn To Play.

Basically after "Aftermath" the rebel players shuffle the side mission deck (The should have created this prior to starting the mission but I suppose could create it now). You reveal two side missions face up. The imperial player has the ability to play other options by spending influence. Whenever the campaign log tells you to pick from a side mission you go to these options and pick one. In the clean-up phase I believe it tells you to put one side mission out when completing any other non-side mission quest so you'll almost always have 2 side missions to choose from. Force missions happen when it says Story Mission, at this point you must play the active story mission card usually decided by the outcome of the last story mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny M.
msg tools
mb

So, it's a finite amount of missions in the whole campaign, based on the campaign log? Only
ten missions, five of which are side missions, which means Hero players have to decide
if they want Hero-specific missions, or Luke, or reward cards from random grey missions, etc?

When the side mission deck is created at the beginning of the campaign, is that the final deck
that will last the entire campaign? Could they decide they want Han a bit later, so they replace
an existing green mission card with his?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the rules you create it and it's set, but it wouldn't really change much to replace cards in the deck with other cards of the same type as you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.