The Captain Is Dead» Forums » Rules

Subject: Irrational double feature rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Leonard
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
While playing the other night, our last yellow alert was irrational fear. Our first orange alert was irrational anger. Our interpretation was; dammed if you do, damned if you don't. Can't use systems alone, and cannot use them with friend or friends. They don't cancel each other out. If you do not have enough science skill on the table to research one, you are turns from unstoppable death.
It was another six alerts before our ship exploded. All we could do was watch in horror, while terrified to be alone & loathing anyone we were with.
Did we play that out correctly? Is that combo of anomalies as sure a death as jump core explosion? Would someone please clarify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I know its not the answer you were looking for, but I removed irrational anger from the game completely. No one misses it, game is all the same challenging. This is one of the beauties of tabletop gaming. They are very easy to modify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jack
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ouch! I can't give a definitive answer, but IMHO having both active at once seems excessively harsh since as you said, if there's not enough science skill currently out the game is essentially over.

I would probably play it as only one being active at a time, but once you researched one the other would go into effect immediately. That said, I think your interpretation was fine and fun (in a morbid sort of way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was very bad luck. I would say you played it right. Normally you research those before the other comes out. No one said it was an easy game :/)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like that was your Kobayashi Maru scenario, congratulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally, I recently attempted and failed to post this summary in the Sessions forum, under the subject "All you can do is Watch":

I had a crew of five - First Officer, Transporter Chief, Weapons Officer, Cyborg, Counselor. There was only one science skill card in anyone's hand when one of the last yellow alerts drawn was irrational fear, then at the next alert the teleporter went offline, which meant First Officer had to drag someone with him to the computer core to start drawing skills. Then one of the first Orange Alerts drawn was irrational anger, which meant the only crew member who could do anything was the Cyborg since everyone else was paralyzed by paradox.

The rest of the crew huddled together in the science lab doing nothing but drawing alerts while the Cyborg vainly struggled to find science skill cards (when she didn't have to fight off hostile aliens in the Computer Core) as one by one the rest of the ship's systems failed. Sadly there's only so much she could do by herself and the game ended with a massive shield failure.

It was the proverbial no-win situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Wow. That is a terrible luck situation. In well over one hundred plays of the game, I can honestly say I haven't seen that situation. That said, I would have done something about it had I thought of it. I don't know what the right answer is here, but my gut is saying that irrational anger sits silently until irrational fear is dealt with.

How does everybody feel about that ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The odds of that combo happening are 1 in 624. That is way more games than I will ever play. Even having them come out within 4 cards of each other is 1 and 156 ( if the math is right). The chance is even greater if you play with advanced yellow and Orange alerts because one or both of the cards could be taken out of the game.

Not sure a "fix" is needed. Just an epic loss for the players.

But if you need a fix them the one suggested is fine. :-)

Edited for Autocorrects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe instead of a character being able to ignore the irrationality only in the Science Lab, change it so that if a character starts his or her turn in the Science Lab they can ignore the anomaly for that turn. It wouldn't nerf the anomalies too much since they'd still be tremendously inconvenient, but the situation where people are stuck and inactive would go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just shuffle the Irrational Orange alert into the bottom half of the Orange alert deck. No new rules needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Paragould
AR
flag msg tools
I just wanted to say that near the end of my development time with the game, I had already decided I was probably going to remove one of the two Irrational cards because of this, but I had not decided which one.

I remember thinking that since you could always use the Science Lab no matter what to get rid of the anomalies then it would be ok, but the more I thought about it, it still seemed like game over if this scenario were to come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Järnbröst
Sweden
FARSTA
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had my first game tonight and this situation came up, except we had enough science to get rid of the irrational fear (eventually, after extensive acrobatics and alien disposal). My group actually enjoyed this possible doom and we had it in the back of our thoughts for the second play through. I don't think it needs special ruling, it's just a consequence of your crew not being geared properly, or not having the external scanners up. You snooze you lose!!! (We lost)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
bananpermobil wrote:
I just had my first game tonight and this situation came up, except we had enough science to get rid of the irrational fear (eventually, after extensive acrobatics and alien disposal). My group actually enjoyed this possible doom and we had it in the back of our thoughts for the second play through. I don't think it needs special ruling, it's just a consequence of your crew not being geared properly, or not having the external scanners up. You snooze you lose!!! (We lost)

It sounds like most people think it doesn't need a special rule, so I'm going to go with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for the "the orange anomaly waits for the yellow one to be cancelled to kick in" rule. It's cool and stressful enough for a fun game, and much better than having players losing turns or the game being just over.
Point isn't to mke the game easier or harder (you do that easily by changig the starting level on the jump core or by adding/removing some advanced alerts), but to make sure it's fun to play once you launched it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rizendefrag wrote:
bananpermobil wrote:

It sounds like most people think it doesn't need a special rule, so I'm going to go with that.

I agree with this take. You play the hand you are dealt. Now I can't wait to get more plays in to see if we can land ourselves in this paradox to find out what we are made of...
If Jason's math is correct we only have about 130 plays to go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Denzer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During our 4th play of this fine game we have found ourselves in precisely this game condition: both irrational fear and anger in play (along with curious fatigue). I found this thread searching for an answer on how to play the game with both anomalies in play.

We happened to have the Cyborg in our crew roster and with some lucky draws and the natural curiosity battle plan, researched irrational fear to give us a fighting chance. We ended up winning by feeding the CE engineering cards to fix the jump core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.