Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: {2015 PnP 2-player Contest} Snow-White and Rose-Red [Contest Ready!] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow-White and Rose-Red
A game of faithful sisters, hidden treasures, enchanted animals, and evil curses for 1-2 players.
By: Caroline Berg

Snow-White and Rose-Red is a fairy tale adventure where you take control of Snow-White and/or her sister Rose-Red. The goal is to save the Enchanted Bear, who once was a prince but has fallen under a vile curse from the Ungrateful Dwarf. To defeat the Ungrateful Dwarf you need to steal back the treasure he stole from the prince or you need to remove his source of power - his luxuriant beard - with a pair of scissors. Explore the woods near Mother's Cottage, rescue trapped animals, and make sure you never have more than four curses upon you at a time! Will you be able to save the Enchanted Bear and defeat the Ungrateful Dwarf? Or will you become cursed too?

For the 2015 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest
Geeklist entry here.

Files:
For components, go here.
For rules, go here.

Aiming for:
• Best Art/Graphic Design
• Best Child-Friendly Game
• Best Cooperative Game
• Best Returning Designer
• Best Theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] {Ares Game Contest} Snow-White and Rose-Red
Notes about the story:

This is the game I wanted to make for the November 24-Hour Game Contest in 2014, but ran out of time to make. However, then another game contest came along, and now I have the time, so I am going to complete this!

This game is based on the Grimm's Fairy Tale of the same name. If you are not familiar with that tale, let me start by saying this is not Snow White from that other popular fairy tale. This Snow-White looks much like snow, hence her name. No raven tresses here. And she has a sister named Rose-Red.

Now, I'm not going to go into the whole tale now (it's short, you can read it here), after all, you'll be playing through the story in the game, so hopefully it won't need to much explaining.

But, in case you are a fairy tale buff like me, I should note I'm taking part of this tale back to its roots - to be more like The Ungrateful Dwarf, which is the name of the tale Snow-White and Rose-Red is based on. In that version, the bear is an enchanted prince, but he doesn't marry Snow-White - in fact, Snow-White and Rose-Red are much too young to think of marriage! In that version, the sisters just get a cut of the treasure the dwarf had stolen from the prince.

This is a 1-2 player full co-op game where Snow White and Rose Red have to thwart and evil dwarf and transform the enchanted bear back into a prince. The game can be played solo where one player controls both Snow-White and Rose-Red, but it is designed so that both characters need to be in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanics Brainstorming:

The Ungrateful Dwarf:

Thus far I have a mechanic for the strength of the Ungrateful Dwarf - his power comes from his beard, so there are four cards representing the Dwarf and the length of his beard (one card for the Dwarf, three for the length of his beard).

The length of his beard affects the cards that he plays each turn, so as his power diminishes, his abilities become less. In order to be defeated, the Ungrateful Dwarf has to have his power diminished low enough so that the sisters, or the bear, can take him out. So each time his beard is cut, a beard card is removed, and the sisters are one step closer to being able to defeat him.

Treasure:

Also being tracked is treasure. Treasure isn't just for wealth, the more treasure found, the closer the sisters are to transforming the bear back into a prince. I'm thinking that around five cards of treasure will be enough to transform the bear back into a prince. The reasoning is that in the Grimm's tale, if the prince ever gets all his treasure back (that the Ungrateful Dwarf stole) his enchantment will break.

Map:

List of locations (thus far):

1) Mother's Cottage
2) Fallen Log
3) Babbling Brook
4) Cave Clearing
5) Wild Herb Patch
6) Alpine Meadow

Each area will have different possible encounters roughly based on the tale. Granted, with a story as short as it is, I'll have to add a bit more to it, especially in terms of encounters.

Seasons:

In the tale, different encounter happen in the winter vs. in the summer, so each encounter will have different options based on what season it is. It will only ever be winter or summer though, just the two.

Now to think of a way to change the seasons in game.

Snow-White:
"quiet and gentle" "sat at home with her mother, and helped her with her housework, or read"

Abilities:
• Better events at the Babbling Brook or Wild Herb Patch
• Dwarf is nicer to her - she doesn't have an Ungrateful Curse card to be drawn when cutting the Ungrateful Dwarf free.

Rose-Red:
"liked better to run about in the meadows and fields seeking flowers and catching butterflies"

Abilities:
• Better events at the Fallen Log or Alpine Meadow
• Moves faster - can move up to two spaces in one turn, but if she moves two spaces, she cannot draw an event card for that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Item Cards:

Item cards are found at specific locations in the game. They can be found from events during gameplay.

Silver Scissors (1x)
• Can be used once a turn to remove one Ungrateful Curse card played by the Ungrateful Dwarf from the game. These can only remove an Ungrateful Curse card from the same location the owner of the scissors is located.
• When used by Snow-White removes a section of the Ungrateful Dwarf's beard.

Copper Scissors (1x)
• Can be used once a turn to remove one Ungrateful Curse card played by the Ungrateful Dwarf, no matter where the card is located. This card is shuffled back into the Dwarf's stack.
• When used by Rose-Red removes a section of the Ungrateful Dwarf's beard.

Bear Brush (1x)
• Calms the bear if enraged.
• Transforms the bear back into a human, once five treasures have been acquired.

Animal Whistle (Lots)
• Discard to summon an animal companion.

Animal Companion (4x)
• Each companion helps in a different way.
• A different animal for each location.

Bag of Pearls (5x)
• One of the Prince's treasures.
• Five treasures of any type are needed to transform the Prince.

Bag of Gems (5x)

Bag of Coins (5x)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is an interesting bit:

To weaken the Ungrateful Dwarf, you need the scissors, so you can cut his beard. BUT when he is freed (which is what the scissors does) he takes his treasure.

To take the treasure, you need to leave the Ungrateful Dwarf trapped, so he can't take his treasure with him, but at the same time, this does not make the Dwarf weaker... and it leads to him drawing a Curse!

So it is a good thing there are two characters who can travel around and do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Events

Some of the cards will be divided into three parts:

1) Snow-White
2) Rose-Red
3) Snow-White and Rose-Red

This is how "better" encounters can occur at certain places.

I'm still deciding if I want the Summer/Winter events to be mixed so it can go from summer to winter in a single turn, or if I want to start the game with a winter deck (like the story starting in winter) and halfway, will switch to the summer deck... Which means I'll need a turn tracker... hmm... need to think about this. I might just cut the Summer/Winter mechanic altogether.

Example Encounter:

At Mother's Cottage:
You go outside to find the Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up in the rose brambles! As he thrashes to get free you notice a bag of treasure sitting next to him.

• Snow-White, if you have the Silver Scissors: Once freed the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf.

• Rose-Red, if you have the Copper Scissors: The Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf.

• If you have no scissors: The Ungrateful Dwarf watches you take his treasure from right beneath his nose and bellows at you to stop! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Gain one bag of treasure.

Other ideas:
• Find Scissors (either color).
• Find Bear Brush.

At the Fallen Log:
• The Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up in the fallen tree branches! Need scissors to cut him free.
• Collect firewood. (Depending on the season?) Find a treasure card.
• Trapped bird.

At the Babbling Brook:
• The Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up in his own fishing line! Need scissors to cut him free.
• Collect reeds. (Depending on the season?) Find a treasure card.
• Talking fish.

At the Cave Clearing:
• The Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up in the claws of a bear! Need scissors to cut him free.
• Explore cave. (Depending on the season?) Find a treasure card.
• Enchanted Bear.

At the Wild Herb Patch:
• The Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up in the nettle patch! Need scissors to cut him free.
• Collect Herbs. (Depending on the season?) Find a treasure card.
• Frightened woodland animals.

At the Alpine Meadow:
• The Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up the talons of an eagle! Need scissors to cut him free.
• Collect flowers. (Depending on the season?) Find a treasure card.
• Giant Eagle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ungrateful Curse Cards

The Ungrateful Dwarf is a right bastard and doesn't like much of anyone, even himself.

Not only did he turn the Prince into a bear, he throws a lot of curses about.

Originally I was going to have these trigger every turn during the Summer... but since I think I'm going to do away with the Summer/Winter mechanics, Ungrateful Curse Cards will only come into play when an encounter card says they activate.

Ungrateful Curse Types:

(Please let me know if these make sense...)

Enraged Animals - Instead of helping the sisters through the forest, the animals openly attack them, driving them out of an area and making them flee for their lives. Whenever an Encounter card says that animals come to the sisters' aid, move the sisters in that location one space away, and ignore all rewards from that encounter.

Enraged Bear - The bear no longer recognizes his friends, and must be calmed down before they can approach him. No sister can be in the same space as the Bear, unless they have the Bear Brush. If a sister has the bear brush and is in the same space as the bear for one turn, the bear is calmed. The bear has to be calmed before this Ungrateful Curse card can be removed by scissors.

Fairy Gold - All treasures turn into piles of leaves and may not be used to free the Bear until this Ungrateful Curse card is removed.

Empty Treasure - Anytime a treasure card is found, it is an empty sack, and the sisters gain nothing for their efforts. While this Ungrateful Curse card is in play, when an Encounter card says that the sisters may take a treasure card, ignore all rewards from that encounter.

Dull Scissors - Sisters cannot free the Ungrateful Dwarf by cutting his beard. Their scissors are too dull to cut through it! Whenever either sister encounters the Ungrateful Dwarf, it is as if they have no scissors at all, and they must choose the option for stealing his treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP]{2015 PnP 2-player Contest} Snow-White and Rose-Red
Update!

Fear not! I've still be working on this, just outside of BGG. I've done a bit of research into the art style I want for the game. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to use illustrations from the story, or if I want to draw them all myself. And if drawing them myself, do I want to go with a stark black/white/red color scheme or do I want to use muted pastel colors and ink sketches?

While these questions have been occupying most of my time (and had me rereading all the illustrated versions I own) I still haven't made up my mind. Perhaps I should post samples of what I'm thinking about and have people choose, since I'm not leaning one way or another?

I do want the two sisters depicted younger rather than older - because I feel there aren't enough games with strong young female protagonists... but that is really the only style direction I've made.

While that was going on, I have also been refining the encounters for each location (I updated a previous post with some of my more recent ideas.)

What I really need to work on next are the curses the Ungrateful Dwarf will cast!

Once I have the curses, I'll start doing some simple playtests to see if I have enough encounters for each area (I'm going to start with only three at each place, one of each type listed in a previous post.) If things are too impossible, I'll add in more encounters... but I'd like to start playtesting with the bare base amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Update!
And if drawing them myself, do I want to go with a stark black/white/red color scheme or do I want to use muted pastel colors and ink sketches?
Just my off-the-cuff thoughts: the stark idea sounds good to me. I'm thinking like those simple line drawings in old books (such as books of fairy-tales).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you are saying, but, the thing is, my old books of fairy-tales include either full color images or black-and-white sketches.

This is an example of the art in the version from the Big Golden Book of Fairy Tales:

And while it has some of my favorite illustrations for the story, it has the sisters as older. As this is from the Grimm's version where the Prince marries one of them at the end it kind of makes sense... since having them young would be a touch creepy!

And here is another version from The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang:

I own both of those books... so you can see why I'm having trouble deciding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the first style more the muted colours with a few brights is more appealing to me than the star black and white. You could always make the sisters younger in that style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmb

And I prefer the 2nd one... just personal taste, I know.

I guess why I like line drawings better is that then my mind fills in the colors and becomes richer and more life like... I guess? I dunno...

But on a more practical note, I like line drawings (or shades of grey) best in a Print-n-Play cuz then I can build the game without resorting to (expensive) color printing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

But on a more practical note, I like line drawings (or shades of grey) best in a Print-n-Play cuz then I can build the game without resorting to (expensive) color printing!

That's very true I didn't think of that, is there a nice compromise I wonder... If I come across anything I'll let you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, though last year both my entries for the 2-player and solitaire game contests were black-and-white/grayscale. So this year I wanted to do something different.

And given that I'm starting so early, it does mean I have enough time to possible color the entries.

I do know my Solitaire contest game will be in full color this year.

And if I was to go with ink for this, I'd still have splashes of red across the cards - so black, white and red would be the color scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I'm going to try to finish all the encounters this weekend so I can begin preliminary tests (sans art) for next week.

EDIT: Hah! This didn't happen... but I am working on encounters THIS week to finish by next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More on events:

Mother's Cottage (Neutral, good for either sister)

Dwarf caught in the Rose Bushes
You go outside to find the Ungrateful Dwarf is tangled up in the rose brambles! As he thrashes to get free you notice a bag of treasure sitting next to him.

Snow-White: If you have any scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf.

Rose-Red: If you have any scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse.

Both: If you have no scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf watches you take his treasure from right beneath his nose and bellows at you to stop! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Gain one bag of treasure.

Cleaning House
You dust shelves, sweep the floor, beat the rugs, and tidy up the small cottage. While cleaning you come across an old chest.

Snow-White: Upon opening the chest you find a shiny pair of scissors. Draw and keep the first Scissors card you find in the Item deck. If both Scissors cards have been found, draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck instead.

Rose-Red: Upon opening the box you discover a shiny whistle. Draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck.

Both: Upon opening the box you discover a shiny pair of scissors and a whistle. Draw and keep the first Scissors card you find and one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck. If both Scissors cards had been found previously, draw and keep a second Animal Whistle card from the Item deck instead. These items must be split evenly between the two sisters.

Yard Work
As you work in the garden weeding and pruning the plants, you come across a box tucked away under old leaves.

Snow-White: Upon opening the box you discover a shiny whistle. Draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck.

Rose-Red: Upon opening the box you discover a brush for cleaning a large animal. Draw and keep the Bear Brush card from the Item deck. If the Bear Brush card has already been found, draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck instead.

Both: Upon opening the box you discover a brush for cleaning a large animal and a whistle. Draw and keep the Bear Brush card and one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck. If the Bear Brush card has already been found, draw and keep a second Animal Whistle card from the Item deck instead. These items must be split evenly between the two sisters.
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

Fallen Log (Rose-Red gets bonuses)

Dwarf caught in the Fallen Tree
As you approach the mighty fallen oak, you realize something is trapped in the branches! Why, it is the Ungrateful Dwarf, and he is hopping mad! A bag of jewels is hidden in the branches beside him.

Snow-White: If you have the Silver Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. If you have any Animal Companion cards, discard them, as they are afraid of the Dwarf.

Rose-Red: If you have the Copper Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. Immediately draw two Ungrateful Curse card. Choose which one to activate then shuffle the other card back into the stack.

Both: If you have no scissors or scissors of the wrong color, the Ungrateful Dwarf watches you take his treasure from right beneath his nose and bellows at you to stop! Gain one bag of treasure. Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse.

Collect Firewood
While collecting firewood amongst the branches of the fallen tree, there is, lying unprotected, a heaping bag of treasure!

Snow-White: It is not your bag of treasure, so you decline to take it, believing that the owner must not be far away.

Rose-Red: You gleefully take the bag of treasure. Gain one bag of treasure. Next turn you may only move one space, because you are overburdened from carrying the heaping bag of treasure!

Both: You look at each other, then back at the treasure bag. It looks heavy. And it is not yours. But who could have left it so carelessly? In the end you decide not to risk taking it and cover it back up with the fallen branches.

Rescue Trapped Bird
You hear the pitiful sounds of trapped baby birds coming from inside the branches of the fallen tree. Their mother beats her wings frantically at the branches, trying to reach them!

Snow-White: You are distressed to hear the sounds of the trapped birds, but you are not strong enough to move the branches by yourself! You decide to find Rose-Red to help you. Move up to two spaces closer to Rose-Red.

Rose-Red: You move the fallen branches aside and lift the next out. The mother bird is very grateful at your actions! Draw and keep one Animal Companion card.

Both: Together Rose-Red and Snow-White clear the branches, allowing the mother bird to be reunited with her brood. She chirps happily and flies back to the sisters, dropping one whistle in front of them. Draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck. Choose which sister gets to keep the whistle.

Babbling Brook (Snow-White gets bonuses)

Dwarf caught in his Fishing Line
As you approach the babbling brook, you hear more than just the natural splashing of the stream! Why, it is the Ungrateful Dwarf, his beard is twisted around his fishing line, and a hungry fish is tugging on it! A bag of jewels is hidden in the reeds beside him.

Snow-White: If you have the Silver Scissors, once freed the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove two Beard Cards from the Dwarf.

Rose-Red: If you have the Copper Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf.

Both: If you have no scissors or scissors of the wrong color, the Ungrateful Dwarf watches you take his treasure from right beneath his nose and bellows at you to stop! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Gain one bag of treasure.

Collect Reeds
While collecting cattails and reeds, you spy a bag hidden amongst the water-loving plants on the edge of the stream. Why, it is a heaping bag of treasure!

Snow-White: To your delight, the treasure sparkles as much as the water next to it. Gain one bag of treasure.

Rose-Red: You try to grab the bag of treasure, but it slips out of your hands and the treasure scatters away down the stream. You gain nothing.

Both: It takes both of you to life the bag of treasure out of the water, since the wet bag is so much heavier and makes it harder to hold. Gain one bag of treasure.

Rescue Talking Fish
"Oh help! Someone please help me!" comes a cry from a nearby stream. Upon reaching the stream, there is a fish caught on a fishing line, left carelessly unattended. The fish struggles to get free, promising great rewards.

Snow-White: Horrified by the plight of the fish, you race to the stream. Whispering soothing words, you are able to calm the fish and remove the hook from its mouth. As a reward it speaks to say, "Whenever you are in need, call for me, and I will come to your aid." Draw and keep one Animal Companion card.

Rose-Red: You wade into the stream, trying to grasp the fish. Unfortunately, the water moves to fast and his scales are too slippery! You try for several minutes before both the fish and fishing line are whisked downstream. And then you notice all your Animal Whistles are gone! Discard all Animal Whistle cards and shuffle them back into the Item deck.

Both: Together Rose-Red and Snow-White unhook the fishing line from the fish's mouth, allowing it to swim free. In thanks, the fish dives under the water and reappears with a whistle in its mouth, which it spits at the sisters before diving beneath the water once more. Draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck. Choose which sister gets to keep the whistle.

Cave Clearing (Neutral, good for either sister)

Dwarf caught in a Beehive
As you approach the cave clearing, you are alarmed to hear the angry drone of bees! Why, it is the Ungrateful Dwarf! His beard is coated in the honey and stuck fast to the beehive! A bag of jewels is hidden in the grass beside him.

Snow-White: If you have the Silver Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf.

Rose-Red: If you have the Copper Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse.

Both: If you have no scissors or scissors of the wrong color, the Ungrateful Dwarf watches you take his treasure from right beneath his nose and bellows at you to stop! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Gain one bag of treasure.

Explore Cave
You find a pile of treasure deep within the cave. You realize that this is the Enchanted Bear's treasure, the treasure the Ungrateful Dwarf has not yet stolen!

Snow-White: You do not want to steal any more gold from the Enchanted Bear, he clearly has been tormented enough. As you turn to go, an item catches your eye. Draw and keep the Bear Brush card from the Item deck. If the Bear Brush card has already been found, draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck instead.

Rose-Red: You do not want to steal any more gold from the Enchanted Bear, he clearly has been tormented enough. As you turn to go, an item catches your eye. Draw and keep the first Scissors card you find from the Item deck. If both Scissors cards had been found previously, draw and keep one Animal Whistle card from the Item deck instead.

Both: You decide to take a bag to protect it from the Ungrateful Dwarf. It takes both of you to carry the bag out of the cave and to a more secure location in your cottage. Gain one bag of treasure.

The Curse of the Enchanted Bear
A bear comes out of the cave and speaks, shocking all who listen. He tells a tale of woe about how he was tricked by an Ungrateful Dwarf.

Snow-White: Snow-White invites the bear to come and visit her at her home. Add or move the Enchanted Bear token to Mother's Cottage.

Rose-Red: Rose-Red invites the bear to join her out adventuring. Add or move the Enchanted Bear token to the board at the Alpine Meadow.

Both: The sisters stay and listen to the bear as he explains his foul curse. Add or move the Enchanted Bear token to the board at the Cave Clearing.

Wild Herb Patch (Snow-White gets bonuses)

Dwarf caught in a Nettle Patch
As you approach the patch of wild herbs, you are alarmed to hear a howling of an animal in pain! Why, it is the Ungrateful Dwarf! His beard is held fast, wrapped around the spiny nettle stalks! A bag of jewels is hidden in the nettles beside him.

Snow-White: If you have the Silver Scissors, once freed the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and leaves forgetting about his bag of gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. Gain one bag of treasure.

Rose-Red: If you have the Copper Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Immediately activate an Ungrateful Curse. Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf.

Collect Herbs
While collecting flowers and herbs, you spy a bag hidden amongst the sweet-smelling wild mint leaves. Why, it is a heaping bag of treasure!

• Snow-White: The bag smells delightfully of mint. You pick it up and take it with you. Gain one bag of treasure.

• Rose-Red: You go to grab the treasure, but it is nettle the bag is in, not mint! You suck at your stinging fingers and decline to pick it up. You gain nothing.

• Both: You look at each other, then back at the treasure bag. It looks heavy. And it is not yours. But who could have left it so carelessly? In the end you decide not to risk taking it. You gain nothing.

Rescue Frightened Woodland Animals
Pitiful squeaks come from the bushes. A patch of nettles has fallen across an opening, trapping a family of rabbits inside. The family of rabbits huddle in the grass, waiting for you to rescue them.

Snow-White: Unable to walk by without helping, Snow-White grabs a stick and removes the nettles without touching them. The family of rabbits hops happily away. All except for one rabbit, which hops closer and enters a pocket in your skirt. Draw and keep one Animal Companion card.

Rose-Red: You reach in and remove the nettles by hand. Ouch! While you hop around in pain, you do not notice the rabbits running away. And then you notice all your Animal Whistles are gone! Discard all Animal Whistle cards and shuffle them back into the Item deck.

Both: Together Rose-Red and Snow-White find sticks to remove the nettles. The family of rabbits happily hop away once the nettles are removed. Then two turn around and bounds back to the sisters. Draw and keep two Animal Companion cards. These cards can be split between the sisters or can both go to one sister.

Alpine Meadow (Rose-Red gets bonuses)

Dwarf caught by a Mighty Eagle
As you approach the alpine meadow, a dark shadow crosses you! Why, it is the Ungrateful Dwarf, dragged along by an eagle, since his beard is tangled in the eagle's claws! A bag of jewels is hidden in the wildflowers below him.

Snow-White: If you have the Silver Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf scorns you for your help and makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. If you have any Animal Whistle cards, discard them, as you scramble away from the Dwarf's wrath.

Rose-Red: If you have the Copper Scissors, the Ungrateful Dwarf howls at the indignity of losing a part of his beard! He then makes off with a bag of hidden gems! Remove one Beard Card from the Dwarf. Immediately draw two Ungrateful Curse card. Choose which one to activate then shuffle the other card back into the stack.

Collect Flowers
While picking wind flowers and pinks, you discover a bag hidden beneath all the petals! Why, it is a heaping bag of treasure!

Snow-White: The bag looks very heavy, and it is windy in the meadow. You do not think you could manage to carry the treasure. You gain nothing.

Rose-Red: Why, treasure is so much more exciting than flowers! You take the bag from its hiding place. Gain one bag of treasure.

Both: Together you life the bag of treasure of where it was hidden. You set it one the ground and admire what is inside. Gain one bag of treasure.

Talk to a Giant Eagle
A giant eagle flies over the meadow and perches on a rocky outcropping. He gives a stately nod to any in the meadow passing by.

Snow-White: You are too frightened to approach the eagle closely. After a few minutes the eagle grows bored, and flies away. You gain nothing.

Rose-Red: You politely nod back and spend some time talking to the eagle. As a reward for being so polite, he agrees to come to your aid in the future. Draw and keep one Animal Companion card.

Both: Together you leave a biscuit on another rock for the eagle to take. After daintily eating the biscuit, two silver whistles are left on the rock as the eagle flies away. Draw and keep two Animal Whistle cards from the Item deck. These cards can be split between the sisters or can both go to one sister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caroline, I love what you're coming up with here. All of these descriptions have serious illustration potential. This game is definitely going to be a nice little adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
Caroline, I love what you're coming up with here. All of these descriptions have serious illustration potential. This game is definitely going to be a nice little adventure.
Thanks!

I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

I can't wait to start doing the art either - but I promised myself, mechanics and a prototype first, THEN art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I can't wait to start doing the art either - but I promised myself, mechanics and a prototype first, THEN art.

Wise choice, I seem to get in trouble with my designs when I start too early on the art. It is smart to get the mechanics down first, that can save a lot of time in developing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, some thoughts on the Ungrateful Curse cards:

There are two routes that I can go with the Ungrateful Curse cards and how they are affected by the Beard Length of the Ungrateful Dwarf.

Option 1) When a card says to draw an Ungrateful Curse card, the player would draw cards as dictated by the length of the Dwarf's beard.

• Beard of 3 = 3 Curse cards
• Beard of 2 = 2 Curse cards
• Beard of 1 = 1 Curse cards
• Dwarf with no beard = No Curse cards drawn

The location of the Curse cards, when there are multiple Curse cards drawn, is determined by the location of the character on the board. The first card drawn will be placed at the location of the sister who cause the Dwarf to unleash his curse. The next card drawn is placed at the next location numerically on the board. Each location corresponds with a number, with Mother's Cottage as #1 and the Alpine Meadow as #6. If it ever gets to the end of the board, location #6 the Alpine Meadow, the placement of the Curse card wraps around and the next Curse card is placed at location #1, Mother's Cottage.

Option 2) The cards have different affects written on them based on the length of the Dwarf's beard.

Example 1:

Fairy Gold
• Beard Length = 3: All treasures turn into piles of leaves and may not be used to free the Bear.
• Beard Length = 2: The sisters need two more treasures, for seven treasures total, in order to free the Bear.
• Beard Length = 1: The sisters need one more treasure, for six treasures total, in order to free the Bear.

Example 2:

Dull Scissors
• Beard Length = 3: Sisters cannot free the Ungrateful Dwarf by cutting his beard. Their scissors are too dull to cut through it! Whenever either sister encounters the Ungrateful Dwarf, it is as if they have no scissors at all, and they must choose the option for stealing his treasure.
• Beard Length = 2: Snow-White cannot free the Ungrateful Dwarf by cutting his beard. The Silver Scissors are too dull to cut through it! Whenever Snow-White encounters the Ungrateful Dwarf, it is as if she has no scissors at all, and she must choose the option for stealing his treasure.
• Beard Length = 1: Rose-Red cannot free the Ungrateful Dwarf by cutting his beard. The Copper Scissors are too dull to cut through it! Whenever Rose-Red encounters the Ungrateful Dwarf, it is as if she has no scissors at all, and she must choose the option for stealing his treasure.

--------------

Yes, this does mean I'd have to go back and change some of what I have written. If I go with Option 1, Snow-White will have a bit of a change. Right now it reads: "She doesn't draw an Ungrateful Curse card when cutting the Ungrateful Dwarf free." Instead it would be "She draws one less Ungrateful Curse card based on the Length of the Dwarf's beard." So she would only get 2 curse cards, instead of 3 when the Dwarf has a full beard. She would only get 1 card instead of 2 when the Dward has a Beard Length of 2, and none when the Dwarf has a Beard Length of 1.

Now, I'm leaning towards Option 2... but I rather like the idea of Option 1 too... If I do go with Option 2, I might make a Curse card where the player immediately draws a second curse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Companion Cards:

Fallen Log
• Songbird - Give one item to your sister. The songbird pumps its wings and flies your item across the land, to deposit it in your sister's hands.

Babbling Brook
• Talking Fish - Next time you gain a treasure, take two treasure cards instead of one. The fish tells you of a second treasure hidden close by.

Wild Herb Patch
• Rabbit - Move two spaces instead of one on your next turn. You may still draw an event card after moving. The rabbit shows you the fastest way to get from one place to the next.

Alpine Meadow
• Giant Eagle - Transports you to any place on the map. This counts as using only one move. The eagle picks you up in its claws and transports you across the land.

After each card is used, the cards are discarded and shuffled back into the Animal Companion deck.

Again, there are two ways to do this. One is when an Event card tells the player to draw an Animal Companion card, the player draws one randomly. The other is that the player searches and draws the animal related to the area they are at. So if you are at the Babbling Brook, you know you will always get the fish.

I'm not sure which route I want to go, so for now I have listed each animal at their specific area. I'm probably going to test both ways to see if random makes it more exciting, or if by having fixed locations there is more strategy - though some of these might be better than others... and I want to prevent a player stacking out say, the Babbling Brook so they always have fishes to gain more treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I've been swamped with things going on, but I really want to make more progress on this and get things in a semi-ready state (minus the art) so I'm declaring this a priority. I'm GOING to work on this tonight, tomorrow, and over the weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick update!

I've added another item, for when I wanted to hand an item out, but didn't want to give yet another treasure or scissors or bear brush. I've added the Animal Whistle. It allows the player to discard it in order to draw an Animal Companion card. The sisters can carry multiple whistles at once, and there will now be events that cause them to drop any whistles they are carrying.

I've also continued to flesh out the various Events. Keep checking my previous post about Events to see which ones have been thought out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nithya Nagarajan
msg tools
Your game really looks interesting! I love the fairy tale genre and am a big fan of the graphic novel Fables. So I am looking forward to your game!

B/W graphics are definitely easier to print and play than colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

And I'll be kicking this into high-gear soon to get it done. Two weeks left!!!

Things have been far too busy this year... but that is really no excuse! shake

I have time tonight and tomorrow night to work on it, which is good.

What is left to do:

• Create Black and White Art
• Create finalized cards, tokens, and board.
• Write up the rules document.
• Playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |