Mr. Jack» Forums » Rules

Subject: Visible/Shadows - Clarification of Example in English Rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: MrJack_faq [+] [View All]
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The example at the top of page 5 in the English rules here indicates that three characters (orange, red, blue) are visible. The other two (yellow/black) are not.

Orange, I can understand - it is next to a lit gaslamp.
Yellow/Black, I can understand - they are not next to a lit gaslamp.

I am having trouble with red and blue. They are (like black) next to an unlit gaslamp, so are in shadow. The rules text indicates:

Quote:
The characters who are on a lit space are visible (they can be seen by any passer-by). Any neighbouring characters, i.e., those located on spaces adjacent to characters on a lit space, are also considered as visible, even if they are on spaces which are not lit.

As neither is adjacent to a character on a lit space, why are they considered visible?

Reading the tranlation - I get the sense that adjacency (whether lit or not) makes characters visible. If I were to remove the italicized phrase from the rule, it all makes sense. To be truly hidden in the shadows, one needs to be away from a gaslamp and non-adjacent to any character.

Am I correct in assuming that neighbouring characters should always be considered visible? If not, can someone help me understand why red/blue in the example are considered visible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Junillon
France
Lausanne (Switzerland) or Lyon (France)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Visible/Shadows - Clarification of Example in English Ru
Yes, you are right in this assumption.

There is a witness if Jack is under a lamp or if he has another character right next to him !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Rich and Cedric are right. It's a translation error. I interpolated an extra "lit".

The passage on page 2 of the rules under the heading Visible characters should read:

"Any neighbouring characters, i.e., those located on spaces adjacent to another character, are also considered as visible, even if they are on spaces which are not lit."

I'll add the correction to the translation file and send it in to Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Menu Yves
Switzerland
Veyrier
Genève
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Hello,

The rules say:

Shut-off gaslight hex /lit gaslight tile
The gaslight are lit when a lit gaslight tile is placed on them. They illuminate all the adjoining street hexes.
If there is no lit gaslight tile on the hex, then the gaslight is shut-off.

Seen characters:
The characters that stand on an illuminated hex (hex adjoining a lit gaslight) are seen, since they can be seen by anyone in the district, any passer-by. The same rules applies if two characters are on adjoining hexes, even in the darkness. Those two characters are considered as seen since they are close enough to see eache other in spite of the shadow.

Unseen characters
the characters that do not stand on an illuminated hex (lit by gaslight or Watson's lantern) nor on and hex adjoining to another character are considered as unseen

I hope that is clear for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the original rules yet, but....

Page 4:
Quote:
ATTENTION! When there are no more eyewitnesses (and only in this case), Jack can try to escape the borough during the next turn.

Page 8:
Quote:
I - Jack the Ripper succeeds in moving his counter out of the borough, by leaving through an exit that is not blocked by a Police roadblock. Jack wins the game.

Remember: this is not possible during a turn in which the Eyewitness card has the ‘no witness’ side visible.

Since there are no "eyewitnesses" included in the game (so there can't be "no more"), I guess the sentence on page 4 should read

"When there are no more eyewitnesses... " (meaning the eyewitness card has the "no witness" side visible).

... and the sentence on page 8 seems to be competely wrong and should probably read

"Remember: this is only possible during a turn in which the Eyewitness card has the ‘no witness’ side visible."

Other questions: Do John Smith and Jeremy Bert need to be adjacent to a lamp/hole to light it/open it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Care:

The english rule you can dowload here is not the official one !
Someone put it there when the neuroludic limited edition was published, and document has not been verified.

Rules in the box of Mr. Jack are more less confusing

Il will try to send the official pdf file !!

Now concerning your question: characters don't need to be close to lamp/hole/police to use their special ability !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
Take Care:

The english rule you can dowload here is not the official one !
Someone put it there when the neuroludic limited edition was published, and document has not been verified.

Rules in the box of Mr. Jack are more less confusing

Il will try to send the official pdf file !!

Now concerning your question: characters don't need to be close to lamp/hole/police to use their special ability !

Thank you very much for your answer!

I know that the english file here isn't "official", but as long as its the only one available for our english speaking friends, I thought I could point out a few errors.

I just ordered the game in switzerland and got a VERY fast reply (Thank you very much, Yves Menu!!), so I'm looking forward to read the "real" rules tomorrow ;o)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My apologies to M. Cathala for any confusion my unofficial translation may have caused. I did it as a fan of his work interested in the game but without an actual copy of Shadows over Whitechapel to play with. Also my knowledge of French was acquired in high school and so is not as good as it might be!

Now that Mr Jack has been published and it sounds like the official rules translation is now going to be available, I will ask Aldie to remove my document from the Mr Jack/Shadows entry in BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Andy

No problem !! you don't need to apologies !!
it was very nice to have your english translation on BGG
Thank you very much foryour work !!

I'm not at home yet.. but i will send the "offical" pdf file assoon as possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.