Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the rule reads, it seems the intent is to extend only the RANGE of the tank along the arc of fire represented on the map. However, the parenthetical part of the rule talks about spaces that are outside of and adjacent to the position's field of fire. This could mean that the tank also has a wider field of fire, as well as longer.

Which is the correct interpretation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just range, I think - when talking about a hex outside of a normal field-of-fire but still adjacent, extend the tank range by 1 and it can then fire.

In other words, a tank's extended range still doesn't allow it to fire at a blocked hex that is adjacent to its normal field-of-fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep,that makes sense. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's the word 'outside' that implies it's just range and not FOF.

That whole section of the rules could have been worded a bit better, I had to read the advance rule at least 10 times before it dawned on me what it was saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
The way the rule reads, it seems the intent is to extend only the RANGE of the tank along the arc of fire represented on the map. However, the parenthetical part of the rule talks about spaces that are outside of and adjacent to the position's field of fire. This could mean that the tank also has a wider field of fire, as well as longer.

Which is the correct interpretation?

I must admit to being completely confused about this thread.
Are you referring to this rule?:

6.24 Tank Extended Field of Fire
A position occupied by a Japanese tank unit projects steady fire into all hexes outside of but adjacent to hexes in its field of fire (13.1).

In which case I don't understand where the ambiguity lies. Just apply the rule exactly as stated. There is absolutely no mention of range vs arc.
The question becomes even more confusing when you consider that unless you are talking about the field of fire into water hexes then all positions have already have a natural 360 degree firing arc so extension of arc irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to situations, like near a sea wall where there are hexes adjacent to a position that are not under fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HorizonMan wrote:
I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to situations, like near a sea wall where there are hexes adjacent to a position that are not under fire.

There are no such positions. All positions next to a sea wall fire over that sea wall into adjacent hexes. Just did a quick scan of the map, there area very few, maybe 5 or 6, cases where the position's FoF misses a single hex. Still seems a very odd query for the OP given the map and still don't see how the stated rule is ambiguous in any way. Would love for them to elucidate us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule implie that tanks fire into fortified buildings too. The buildings don't provide much cover from tanks for the U.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.