Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife tipped me off; as of 6:30 PM EST, ESPN is showing a Scrabble competition.

How long before Eurogames get this status? 'Cause I want my 15 minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

This is a joke, right? Like the whole Poker-on-TV-thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My wife tipped me off; as of 6:30 PM EST, ESPN is showing a Scrabble competition.

How long before Eurogames get this status? 'Cause I want my 15 minutes!

Probably never. The big problem for Eurogames is most don't know how to play these games. Most people already ***basically*** know how to play Scrabble, chess, poker. The announcers don't have to explain a flush beats a straight, how a knight can "jump" over pieces or how triple word & letter scores work.

*** There are some differences between home play and tournament play, but these are mostly procedural clarifications: Time limits, how specifically how manipulate the pieces/chips/tiles (touch move, how to raise a bet, etc.), etc.

The other reason is the lack of a high level competition, especially for BIG MONEY. They were playing Scrabble for $25,000.

For a lot of board games (Euros, wargames, etc.), the WBC probably has the best assemblage of players for any tournament in the world--but no single game has more than 200 participants and $0 prize money.

Quote:
This is a joke, right? Like the whole Poker-on-TV-thing?

Not at all--ESPN needs LOTS of programming to fill 24 hours a day on 6 US channels (1, 2, Classic, News, U, Deportes) and more internationally.

Cheap programming helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.