Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Traveler tiles don't fit in insert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pwned Pawn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So am I the only one whose traveler tiles don't fit in the insert area that is clearly designed for them? They won't lie flat because the space is ever so slightly too narrow, but I can put them in there tilted at a bit of an angle, which makes them poke up too high and therefore isn't actually a solution at all. On the plus side, I now have a giant bin to put all the coins in.

And speaking of the coins, I saw a picture in another thread here where someone has fit coins into the spaces meant for the meeples, and my coins are certainly too large to fit in there. So clearly either my insert is different from the one pictured or my cardboard bits are larger. My coins are 21mm diameter and my traveler tiles are 75mm x 100mm -- anyone else feel like measuring theirs and letting me know how they compare?

Above the UPC on my box the product code is TDKUS02 and below the UPC it says AUG14 -- anyone else have a copy from this new print run where the traveler tiles fit? Just wondering if I should bother exchanging for another copy or if they will all be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My coins fit into the meeples slot like the picture and traveller tiles fit too.

Got the tape measure out and dimensions are:
19mm for the coin diameter
100x75mm for the traveller tiles

TKDUS01
Aug12

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
I (maybe) had the same question! If yours is the same spot I'm thinking of ยป I think what I'll do is just use that little area for the score counters. It's a nice small place for them.

(And yes the cards should probably be next to each other - I've already moved them and the coins since I took this picture).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanial Barnes
United States
Montgomery
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm no expert with board games, but this is how I've always stored mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My traveler tiles also do not fit, it's like the mold or was off a bit.

Edit: I have same SKU details as OP too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kulprits
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem here on my Christmas copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Godkin
msg tools
mb
Our copy has the very same issue, so we've just left some of the travelers on top, under the main board. Same AUG14 box code, though our punch boards are labeled AUG12 - perhaps there was some kind of change between runs?

Whatever the case, I'm glad to know I wasn't just inept at putting things away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem with my newly purchased copy. Everything else fits beautifully except the traveler tiles. Wonder if FunForge would consider replacing the inserts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: I contacted Passport Game Studios (Fun Forge's North American partner) about this issue. I got an email back saying they just found out about this issue this week, and they're expecting replacements. They're going to test the replacements when they come in to make sure they work. If they do they're going to send me a replacement insert. Their support contact form is here if you want to contact them: http://passportgamestudios.com/contact/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigone Mendenhall
United States
Defiance
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this link. I bought this game this weekend and my pieces didn't fit right either. Hopefully this will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JATL
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throw out the insert. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound to me like you need to buy the Collector's Edition... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneWolfPR wrote:
Update: I contacted Passport Game Studios (Fun Forge's North American partner) about this issue. I got an email back saying they just found out about this issue this week, and they're expecting replacements. They're going to test the replacements when they come in to make sure they work. If they do they're going to send me a replacement insert. Their support contact form is here if you want to contact them: http://passportgamestudios.com/contact/

I just heard back, and apparently they didn't redo the inserts. So, no replacement is incoming. They did offer to send me a promo character tile for the inconvenience though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneWolfPR wrote:
LoneWolfPR wrote:

I just heard back, and apparently they didn't redo the inserts. So, no replacement is incoming. They did offer to send me a promo character tile for the inconvenience though.
Wow, disaPPOINTING. Seemed like such a nice game, hope I like the gameplay. Insert is so sweet aside from this issue, and also does anyone else with this same print-run notice the unusual smell? Is it the fabric used for the board? The whole box really stinks. Don't know how to describe it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miranda Folland
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse than the insert having a bad fit, I just got my 2014 version of Tokaido with the Crossroads expansion together and found out that the new discs are a little too big for the holes in the traveler tiles of the Crossroads characters. I think the traveler tiles have been printed altogether too big along with their discs and now they are incompatible with the expansion and the insert. I will be contacting the manufacturer about this as it was extremely disappointing. Has anyone else found this to be the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwned Pawn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckets wrote:
Worse than the insert having a bad fit, I just got my 2014 version of Tokaido with the Crossroads expansion together and found out that the new discs are a little too big for the holes in the traveler tiles of the Crossroads characters. I think the traveler tiles have been printed altogether too big along with their discs and now they are incompatible with the expansion and the insert. I will be contacting the manufacturer about this as it was extremely disappointing. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I think you're right that there's a problem with the size of the traveler tiles and colored player discs in the newest printing of the base game, instead of (or in addition to) the insert.

Passport Game Studios was nice enough to send me the Eriku promo traveler tile because I complained about the box insert, and the colored player discs are too large to fit in the hole on his tile. Also, while he doesn't lie completely flat in the insert, he fits in there a bit better than my other traveler tiles. He doesn't look that much smaller, if anything just a tiny fraction of a millimeter shorter, but his corners are noticeably more rounded and that makes a difference for fitting in the insert.

This is really weird because even though my box says it's from the TDKUS02 AUG14 printing, one of the boards I punched the cardboard bits from has a proof of purchase that says TDK01 and AUG12, so I assumed all the cardboard bits would be identical to that earlier printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can someone post pics of the defect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm, the Traveler Tiles jut up. They can be squished in, damaging the edges, or put in at an angle, but they don't just sit in there like they clearly were intended to do , and did do in earlier printings. And FunForge clearly can't afford to replace any, or are choosing not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridgette D.
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,
Bridgette here from Passport Game Studios.

I wanted to clarify the statement regarding replacements for the inserts. When I responded to Paul, that we might have a replacement available, I was actually referring to new games we were expecting to arrive at our office. At this time I had been contacted by a few consumers who were having problems with the inserts, and thought perhaps their inserts had been warped or something. I was going to see if I could take inserts out of the new games to send them. We were never expecting replacement inserts for the games. The games that arrived had the same inserts, and so I was not able to replace them.

We have since been informed by Funforge that the inserts were tooled a little deeper with a slight taper. The tiles will fit at an angle, and because this does not affect game play there will be no replacements available.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. Please fee free to email me at bdracass@passportgamestudios.com if you have any further questions.

Thanks so much!

Bridgette Dracass
Passport Game Studios
Exec Admin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beedracass wrote:
Hi,
Bridgette here from Passport Game Studios.

I wanted to clarify the statement regarding replacements for the inserts. When I responded to Paul, that we might have a replacement available, I was actually referring to new games we were expecting to arrive at our office. At this time I had been contacted by a few consumers who were having problems with the inserts, and thought perhaps their inserts had been warped or something. I was going to see if I could take inserts out of the new games to send them. We were never expecting replacement inserts for the games. The games that arrived had the same inserts, and so I was not able to replace them.

We have since been informed by Funforge that the inserts were tooled a little deeper with a slight taper. The tiles will fit at an angle, and because this does not affect game play there will be no replacements available.

I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. Please fee free to email me at bdracass@passportgamestudios.com if you have any further questions.

Thanks so much!

Bridgette Dracass
Passport Game Studios
Exec Admin

The tiles are damaged by trying to stuff them into the space. I live in Australia so Passport may not be the distributor here. Its only a small annoyance. The insert is so great-looking and the game is so lovely. I just store the tiles on top of the insert sort of how they came in the cardboard sprue, no problem. Just would look nicer if they fit without damage into the space there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
Organizing the components with alternative methods does the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Del
United States
Pinole
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just recently picked up this game and my traveler tiles also did not fit into the well that was designed for them. I ended up cutting a slit in the 4 corners of the well from the bottom to about 3/4 of the way up, that gave enough leeway for the tiles to fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ashram_bk wrote:
just recently picked up this game and my traveler tiles also did not fit into the well that was designed for them. I ended up cutting a slit in the 4 corners of the well from the bottom to about 3/4 of the way up, that gave enough leeway for the tiles to fit.

That sucks that you had to cut the insert. I, too, just bought the game. Looking at the punch out, it was the AUG12 version I received. The player tiles did not fit nor did the coins fit in the slots on the side.

I ended up sending an email today through the contact link someone posted above to see if the developer might resolve the issue or not.

At least everything I got is in nice condition, just this cursed insert is a pain.

Edit: Looks like Bridgette from Passport Games mentioned something while I was writing this out. Looks like we're SOL on this. I guess some makeshift DIY work is needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
Organizing the components with alternative methods does the trick.

I ended up putting all the meeples/player counters underneath the recessed slot where the player cards go. My issue is with how my cards will not sit straight in the middle slot. :/ I might end up having to do what Del did, cut the slits in the bottom so I don't feel like the edges will be ruined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I have the same problem with my new copy of Tokaido. Very frustrating as the expansion pieces would fit but for this.

beedracass wrote:

I appreciate you are in the US, but under UK consumer law that argument won't wash. The insert is not 'fit for purpose' and as such the consumer has a right to return the item. And if you've had your copy a while, and let's face it, you don't discover the problem until you've punched the cardboard, a fact which could be used against you, then:
"If you've kept the goods for a while the law says you may have accepted the goods and have lost your right to a full refund. However, you should still have the right to get a repair or replacement."

So, Fun Forge have a legal duty to provide a replacement to UK buyers. I'd be interested to hear their response, if they have an account here.

Source: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |