United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Downloading at 56 Kbps. Reading at 0.2 Kbps
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
This may just be the product of a tired mind, but is there a place on the Geek Database for fictional games? Perhaps just a Geeklist, but is that possible when the games aren't on the database?

The thought was prompted by this, which, even if the idea is a can of thread worms, is well worth your time (I laughed like a drain)

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20061001.html

Discuss.

Simon*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
As a general rule we do NOT want imaginary games in the database. I am only aware of one exception, and it is grandfathered in, basically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
As a general rule we do NOT want imaginary games in the database. I am only aware of one exception, and it is grandfathered in, basically.

I'm curious, which one is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
probably Fizzbin.

Invented by captain Kirk on star trek.

Would we be real geeks if we did not respect one of the great game designers of the 23rd century

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Freeman
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi friend! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Its Poisson d'Avril. So what do I win for guessing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, out of respect for his magnum opus, his work of genius, we should admit Hermann Hesse's Das Glasperlenspiel (The Glass Bead Game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

Forgive me, but in what sense could a boardgame be fictional or imaginary? We may or may not have access to an expression of the game that is complete and precise enough for people to play it. But how does one distinguish between an "imaginary" and a "real" game in both cases? I mean in the cases of the completely expressed and the incompletely expressed game.

Consider these examples:

1) Jetan (currently in the database) ERB published the complete rules as an appendix to Chessmen of Mars. Does the fact that it was never really played on Mars make it not a real game? Was it not a real game until someone constructed a set of pieces and a board?

2) Senet (currently in the database) Senet sets are sold, based on archeological evidence of a board game played centuries ago in Egypt. But the rules that accompany these games (as I understand it) are speculative. We're not really certain how Senet was played in Egypt -- does that make it a "fictional" game? Suppose no one had come up with speculative rules, and we had only the evidence of a game that had once been played. Would we exclude it from BGG? I know of at least one current BGG entry that meets that description.

Some descriptions of games in fiction are sketchy enough to preclude playing them (until someone fills in the details). I could understand a policy of excluding those kinds of incomplete descriptions, but in that case what difference would it make if the incomplete description comes from fiction, from history (e.g., ancient depictions of Senet boards) or from the sketchy notes of a game design in progress?

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
I'm curious, which one is it?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11914

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2c

I think we should list board games that occur in literature and films etc. This is meant to be a comprehensive database and anyone who comes to it to find a game they have heard of needs a response, even if it is detailed as an imaginary game. I think the tag should be restricted in its use, but often these games create interesting specualtion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
ddubin wrote:
Forgive me, but in what sense could a boardgame be fictional or imaginary?

By it being just mentioned without any explanation in fiction. "As Random Protagonist walked in the pub he noticed the barkeep playing a spirited game of drop weasel in the corner." If that's all there is, what good is it to list it? Especially in Science Fiction, such passing references are legion.

The examples you mention are in the DB because they are games that have been realized. Jetan was created by ERB to be played. Sennet was never imaginary or fictional.

But if you can get drop weasel into the DB, more power to you!

surprise Now I've done it: Now I want to create Drop Weasel as a game. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wright
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-tees
Teesside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we need to create a mirror site where all imaginary games are real and real just figments of reality.

At www.imaginaryboardgamegeek.com there could be room for all titles how ever small the reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is this list that has some in it:

Best Fictitious Board Games From TV/Movies

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2554

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some descriptions of games in fiction are sketchy enough to preclude playing them (until someone fills in the details). I could understand a policy of excluding those kinds of incomplete descriptions, but in that case what difference would it make if the incomplete description comes from fiction, from history (e.g., ancient depictions of Senet boards) or from the sketchy notes of a game design in progress?
There seems to be a great deal of difference to me. A historical game that we have limited information on may not stay that way forever - we may get more information on it (this has happened before). In any case, a game that was actually played by enough people to appear in the historical record deserves to be in the database. A game design in progress will presumably be updated in the relatively short term by the designer. A fictional game will probably never get a full description - examples that do, such as Jetan, are welcome in the database, but most don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm..

I was thinking of Calvinball or Mornington Crescent.

Oops, wait, Mornington Crescent is real. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Downloading at 56 Kbps. Reading at 0.2 Kbps
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell - I've started a complementary Geeklist to Best Fictitious Board Games From TV/Movies called: Fictitious Boardgames from Books and Graphic Novels/Comics.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16729

I've based it on the Best Fictitious Board Games From TV/Movies structure (you add the closest existing game).

Everyone out there who's come across a "Drop Weasel" reference please come and join the fun! If you actually find/design the full version of one of these games, please post that too!

Simon*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Now I've done it: Now I want to create Drop Weasel as a game.

surprise Well, just goes to show. Drop Weasel is now in the BGG DB. Come and help it be created at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1106617#1106617

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
ddubin wrote:
Forgive me, but in what sense could a boardgame be fictional or imaginary?

I would say I good rule is, "Has someone actually played it?" Usually games on Star Trek would not apply, because the director just tells the actors to sit down and move some pieces around. Then again, Star Trek being the way it is, maybe in some cases, the director would explain the rules of the game to the actors, and they'd actually play while doing the scene. Then it would be a real game.

And Senet is a real game, even if nobody knows the rules, because somebody (some ancient Egyptians) played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.