Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going all out on the rank insignia (which looks great), why not differentiate the correct Lt designation for the US Lts -- 2Lt. Bronze Bar and 1Lt. Silver Bar? If you're going to that level of detail, you might as well do it right.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think he's complaining that they didn't label them 1Lt and 2Lt rather than Lt's with the bar indicating the two different grades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the counters are OK as is, as they visually differentiate, and verbally, 'in the field', you would just call out "lieutenant" or "LT" unless you're being very formal.

BTW - if you're going to be technical, the last two sergeants are also "wrong" - Sgt. Fuller should be SSG Fuller (Staff Sergeant), and Sgt. Bergstrom should be SFC Bergstrom (Sergeant First Class). But as with the LT's, usually these guys would also be refered to as "sergeant". Only when you get to First Sergeant (1SG) do you normally hear them referred to as "First Sergeant" rather than just sergeant. Same goes for Command Sergeant Major (CSM), who is typically referred to as "sergeant major". At least, that's the way it was when I was in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
And when you're familiar with your company First Sergeant you can refer to him as "top".

We also sometimes addressed our Sergeant Major as "sar-mey". We told him it was to save time so that we could get back to work. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the comments on if you are talking to them but for labeling purposes they are different. Having served 21 yrs and still serving in the military myself, if you're going to label them then it is proper to differentiate the ranks same for the differences in Sgt rank classifications. I'm sure most people playing the game wouldn't notice the difference and it doesn't detract from the counters for play but it is attention to detail. I like the authentic touch with the rank on the counters just don't do it halfway if you're going to do it. Not like there isn't room on the counter for one extra alphanumeric.

Looking forward to this game even more after seeing this new counter art.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
I agree with the comments on if you are talking to them but for labeling purposes they are different. Having served 21 yrs and still serving in the military myself, if you're going to label them then it is proper to differentiate the ranks same for the differences in Sgt rank classifications. I'm sure most people playing the game wouldn't notice the difference and it doesn't detract from the counters for play but it is attention to detail. I like the authentic touch with the rank on the counters just don't do it halfway if you're going to do it. Not like there isn't room on the counter for one extra alphanumeric.

T-Mo

Agreed. And it's educational for the players who didn't serve in the military!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another example of badly designed counters for a game, yes they are great looking but just like Squad Leader none of the counters show anybody ready to fight they are all walking around with thier guns pointed down or slung up on there shoulder just like a Sunday walk in the Park, At least ATS some of the counters show the troops ready to fight. These should have troops with BARs and Thompson firing from the hip and Garands up to the eye and firing, machineguns with loaders set up and firing away, morters being loaded for firing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BubbaK wrote:
This is another example of badly designed counters for a game, yes they are great looking but just like Squad Leader none of the counters show anybody ready to fight they are all walking around with thier guns pointed down or slung up on there shoulder just like a Sunday walk in the Park, At least ATS some of the counters show the troops ready to fight. These should have troops with BARs and Thompson firing from the hip and Garands up to the eye and firing, machineguns with loaders set up and firing away, morters being loaded for firing

Damn Kurt -- you just went on a tangent from what I was just looking at which was the name and rank -- minus serial number of course due to privacy act. I didn't pay much attention to the figure on the counter as they repeat in a couple of poses but I would tend to agree with you - have em look like they were fighting vs. coming out of the chow hall or the latrine.

T-Mo

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
BubbaK wrote:

Now lets be fair here... the design of the counters is just fine. I would not go anywhere near saying that they are 'badly designed.' All the info you need is easy to read and clearly and consistenly organized.

If you have a quibble about the poses, that's a different matter. Personally, I like them like that rather than in 'fighting' poses---fighting poses always seem a little contrived. Like posing for a picture in 'action poses' for a photographer. But that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
BubbaK wrote:

I think having a readily identified number of "figures" is more important for game play. These counters are far from badly designed they are attractive and functional IMO. The activities of the soldiers are going to be varied in the game, at some points they will be digging foxholes, cowering, running, climbing as well as firing their weapons. I can't wait for CC:12th edition with the fully animated squad/team/leader counters, that should be very cool. Until then I am just going to have to use my imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all eye candy anyway. The value of the counter and how it interacts with the game is all that matters. It's nice to see such a broad range of leader levels.

T-Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of rank - the last I checked the Captain's rank was also incorrect on the counter. The two silver bars should be connected to give the 'railroad track' look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not being in the military nor have I had the privilege but I can tell that the ranks are not accurately relayed via the text. But I can live with that, the main part is I can read the stats for each unit without needing a magnifying glass or microscope and that is what really matters.

Now I waiting for someone to start pointing out that all the dead space in the box will not be filled with peanut butter M&Ms.

Myself I am just patiently waiting and checking my mail box each day for my copy. And Chad keep up the good work cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.