9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Which army building mechanic do you like more? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristóf Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
I've come up with 2 alternatives of army organization in my game, please let me know what you think.

1, Fairly standard mechanic with distinct units with a to-hit statistic and in some cases, a special ability. Units move and attack separately.

2, The players do not recruit distinct units but Armies. An army is an equipped fighting force on it's own, and up to 2 support squads may be assigned to it which modifies it's capabilities. A squad of heavy cavalry adds a to-hit bonus, a squad of artillery allows a before-combat attack, etc. In this case, Armies and their squads are treated as singular entities, and if the Army falls, so are the squads lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends a lot on your game. A skirmish game, like X-Wing, for example, works only with method #1.

My first impression is that #2 is more elegant, cleaner and easier to implement and understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the second one more as well. The first has been done a lot, but I haven't seen the second (that I can remember right now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristóf Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
The reason I've came up with this idea is that the game I'm working on is more strategy oriented than tactics, and I felt having dozens of different units steers the concept out of it's course, while simply having identical "Armies" is oversimplifying things.
The current version of the combat system is like that:

Each player gets a number of combat dice equal to the Armies they have on a territory.
Each player rolls all dice simultaneously, and then first the attacker, then the defender may modify the results according to their supporting squads. If you have a heavy cavalry squad, you may add +1 to a die in a normal battle, or if you have sappers, you add +1 in a siege, etc. Other squads have more of a support role, like healers that turn routed Armies to combat effective state after the battle is over.
The catch is, you can't have all, as squads are limited to 2 per Army. So you may have a powerful, unstoppable assault Army that causes much damage but is easily destroyed, or a hard-to-kill defender Army that won't do much damage, and so on.

Also, each faction in the game has only 3 squads available from a total of 8 initially. The others may only be acquired by allying with neutral races. If you ally with a race, they provide you with reinforcement squads from time to time, but then you can't conquer their territories and will not get their resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Paganini wrote:
I've come up with 2 alternatives of army organization in my game, please let me know what you think.

1, Fairly standard mechanic with distinct units with a to-hit statistic and in some cases, a special ability. Units move and attack separately.

2, The players do not recruit distinct units but Armies. An army is an equipped fighting force on it's own, and up to 2 support squads may be assigned to it which modifies it's capabilities. A squad of heavy cavalry adds a to-hit bonus, a squad of artillery allows a before-combat attack, etc. In this case, Armies and their squads are treated as singular entities, and if the Army falls, so are the squads lost.

They sound identical, save for scale. Squads appear to more or less be special abilities.

What's the indended scale for the game? Theater-wide, brigade level, Regiment level?

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristóf Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
Well this is not a wargame so no specific answer to that, but just for a theoretical sake, let's say one Army represents 2-3000 men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#2 reminds me of all the spaceship games where you have a mega unit and the items you're picking are buffs or special abilities. E.g. Army here is to spaceship in Xia, as squad is to engine/shields/weapons/etc.

Agree depends on level of granularity you want ... E.g. is this dudes on a map (mostly fight so many territories and units) or civ type game (abstracted fighting since tons of other stuff to do, fewer units, maybe less territories)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoshim wrote:
I like the second one more as well. The first has been done a lot, but I haven't seen the second (that I can remember right now).

I think Hitler's War had armies that were built of points of two different types, and capabilities were based on this.

Hm... some of the Civ computer games had armies built of units, and had capabilities that were from the combined units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.