United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What is the outcome of the match:
Rebels win by 12 (+12 Points Rebels)
Imperials win by 19 (+19 Points Imperials)
Match is a Draw (+1 Point each Player)
Match is Forfeit (0 Points each Player)
Replay Match
      72 answers
Poll created by Mystical_1

Please help us decide a fair outcome to a tournament match we played last night:

The rebel player had 12 points for destroying one tie fighter. The imperial player had 0 points but had three tie fighters bearing down (distance 3) on a rebel HWK that was down to two hull. One tie was down to two hull.

It was the beginning of the combat phase.

Time ran out and although play should have continued until the end of the round, the match was mistakenly called. After the ships were removed from the board it was realized that the game was called early and should have continued. There was still a chance the Imperial player might have pulled out a victory but wasn't given the chance.

I know, stupid, amateurish mistake. There are several people that are in the tournament, though, and the outcome of this match is crucial. Please help decide the official outcome of the match.

Rebels Win (by 12) = 5 points
Imperials Win (by 19) = 5 points
Draw = 1 point
Forfeit = 0 points
Replay Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say when you were not here, but...

The rebel was leading, and he had a decent chance of defending his HWK with the green dice.

It was a mistake to end the match early, but it happened. You will have more tournaments with even more mistakes, and it will be impossible to correct them after the fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Unless there is some precedent we are trying to make a decision outside the boundary of the rules. I can't think of a better way than the consensus of our BGG X-Wing peers deciding our fate in a poll.

And I agree that the Imperial player had a more than decent shot at a win. But we will never know. shake

Can this match even be considered legal if it wasn't finished? Or do you just make a fair judgement call and move on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, once the match has been called the result stands regardless if a mistake was made, certainly if you cannot continue due to removing the models.
If you could continue with everything still in place, then I would allow to play it out over the remaining time and see what happens.

Given the authority the TO has, once he has called a result it should never be changed unless he himself allows the change.
also, it would be bad form to stall a tournament due to having to replay a match halfway in the tournament

but just assuming another result is not done no matter how likely it would occur
I had a similar situation once, my TIEs bearing down on a HWK which was close to the border and corner which made his next move pretty obvious, though my opponent, knowing it was the last turn, turned right in the direction of the border (barely but still within the gameboard) and thereby out of my firing arcs (I had anticipated a left turn towards the playing field). if there would have been a new turn his HWK would have flown off the board and be an automatic kill but alas, he knew the game would end before that and risked it.
it just goes to show even what looks like an assured kill is never certain

it might be a good advice to never clear the table immediately for just such occurrences, you can always start by clearing your unused tokens, then pilot and upgrade cards first before touching the ships/tokens/asteroids in play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you remember who was able to shoot at who and you know the only thing left to do was combat; can't you just roll the dice and be done with it?

If you can't collectively agree on who was able to attack who though then you just can't call it and you would need to either go for no points to anyone (complete failure of a match) or replay the match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with bart, roll the dice, finish the round. voting about it is silly.

rebel wins on points as stands. that said I voted for draw as it was incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your TO has a hard time making a decision. What the TO needs to understand is: If there is a clear right or wrong, there is no decision to be made. You just do the obvious thing. Decisions are always hard, always uncertain. You just make one and move on, hoping for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ViolatorJK .
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
The match was called and its over. Rebels win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystical_1 wrote:

And I agree that the Imperial player had a more than decent shot at a win.

3 x 2 attack dice versus 3 x 3 defense dice, needing 2 hits... depends a bit on the modifiers, but I'd guess a chance of less than 15%?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In trying to remember our positions, we could not agree on the final locations of the ships or the exact ranges, so reconstructing the final position and playing it is sadly not an option.

I didn't include it in the poll, finally, because the Imperial player also had Vader possibly within range of attack too but didn't measure for target lock (Vader had no actions left to take) or measure for distance to the HWK after his movement (player was rushing for time), so that is another reason we just can't be certain. Vader might even have been in range!! We just don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the majority here and agree that the game should stand as called (Rebels minor victory by 12 points). Chalk it up as a learning experience for the players and TO. I run our local shop's events and when I call a round for time I make it clear to finish moves and combat if people are in the middle of a turn.

Better luck in the next one! And do try to kill those HWK's faster next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebels win. Just put an asterisks (*) next to the name of that winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to lean towards abiding by the call, even if it was in error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
In rugby, no ruling, no matter how bad is able to be overturned. I find this true in many tournaments as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackStack wrote:
I'm in the majority here and agree that the game should stand as called (Rebels minor victory by 12 points). Chalk it up as a learning experience for the players and TO. I run our local shop's events and when I call a round for time I make it clear to finish moves and combat if people are in the middle of a turn.

Better luck in the next one! And do try to kill those HWK's faster next time...

Agreed. Fly casual, live and learn. TO should have the final say though, is that who asked for this poll? The info is a little vague, just want to make sure. I wouldn't want to vote knowing the results were to challenge a TO's decision.

Not that I think that is what is going on here, just saying I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't an official tournament (although we do have winter promo awards and such for prizes and try to follow every official tourney rule) so we all agreed beforehand (because we could) to abide by the judgement of this poll. TO included. Rebel player who stands to lose, included. We made the right decision I think; what to do is a question bigger than us. It requires a grand jury.

Going to close the poll after tomorrow and go with the wisdom of the Jedi council, err, you guys. Thanks a lot for all your opinions on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually agree with BertMcCloud. It seems like you (or the players) remember the board state sufficiently to state that 3 TIEs had a range 3 shot at a 2-HP HWK.

Just roll those ships out.

I did, just now, and the HWK defended all 3 shots, making the pilot skills involved irrelevant. Thus, I voted to award the Rebel a 12-point win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.