Per Landberger
Sweden
Spånga
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game the for first time yesterday. I learned the rules from the online rules here att BGG posted 2012. Then when we opened the game there were two major changes in the included rulebook (posted here on BGG 2014) that in our opinion were to the worse:

1. Offering to the gods is more or less only worth it with a 1 or a 2 on the grey dice, which makes the higher valued dice just sit there and few cards come in play. I really think the old rule: "draw as many cards as the die shows and pay for the ones you keep" is better. Old rules also allow you a hand max of 4 instead of 3.

2. Scoring penalty markers. With the old rules you pay two points for each marker. in the new rules you pay 3 points for every two penalty marker, which means if you have an odd number of markers you can take one more "for free". There is also a scoring cap of 9 markers in the new rules, if you have nine all the rest you take are "for free" which in combination to that you are allowed to take as many penalty markers you want to combine penalized functions let you use all the remaining penalty markers in one action, which of course happened in our game, and broke the game.

I do not understand these changes, and welcome an explanation from whoever is responsible, why. I will for certain use the old rules for both next time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my thoughts about the rules 2.0 (2014). I play with the new rules except these two which you mentioned.
I can understand the new publisher, who maybe didn't like the fact that in the case of the 2012 rule ("take 1 card from x") ~75% of players will take Minerva card (my observation).
Actualy I like "Massilia" in 2012 version - of course, for me "Massilia" doesn't replace "Troyes" which I like very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Landberger
Sweden
Spånga
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You wonder how you can take all the penalties in one action? Well there are 20 dice, take them all is 19 penalties. Then change color of 15 of them (whatever action you chose, 5 dice will already be in the right color). Finally adjust the value of each die three steps for 60 penalties (I assume you have to do it the cheapest way possible making three the maximum, otherwize infinte penalties). Use your dice to run some laps around the board with the council or an agent or exhaust the deck of cards (if you use the old "offering to the gods" rule), or if you are rich buy a lot of cubes. That's 94 penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't knew about these differences...

I only played the game once and these 2 rules you mention felt weird to me...

As you said, in our game only the 1 or 2 grey dice were ever used for the grey action...

Regarding the penalty tokens... I really think there should be no cap to the penalty points you receive...

One player in that game just didn't care about that... as soon as he hit the 9 markers he just kept taking them... he ended the game with 19 penalty tokens if I'm not mistaken... and he won the game!

From what I see the old rules make much more sense...

I will try them the next time I play!

Thanks for posting this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
per42 wrote:

1. Offering to the gods is more or less only worth it with a 1 or a 2 on the grey dice, which makes the higher valued dice just sit there and few cards come in play. I really think the old rule: "draw as many cards as the die shows and pay for the ones you keep" is better. Old rules also allow you a hand max of 4 instead of 3.

I do not understand these changes, and welcome an explanation from whoever is responsible, why. I will for certain use the old rules for both next time I play.

I see your point in only taking the 1 or 2 grey dice, but the 5's and 6's get used too, you just turn them into a different color...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.