jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humblebrag modest I live in the midwest.

My best guess is time. Here in Iowa, it takes me 6 minutes to get to work where as when I worked in Lincolnshire IL and had to drive through Chicago rush hour it took me 2 hours to get home. Of course political ideology also has to factor in as more blue states are outside the midwest.

Quote:
Spencer says. “I think, in general, Americans don’t like the idea of anyone going hungry.” Utah is once again ranked as the top state for volunteerism. Idaho, Minnesota, Kansas, Wisconsin and Nebraska round out the top six, followed by Iowa.

Spencer says there are a number of reasons why states with a lot rural communities tend to have higher volunteer rates. “For example, low commute times…so, it’s easier to get around. There are higher densities of nonprofits, higher education levels, and high levels of home ownership — that could indicate to us that people are settled in to their community and they really care. They want to make sure their community is strong and vibrant and they want to help,” Spencer says.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2014/12/16/iowa-ranked-in-top-10-fo...

Some quick stats here

Quote:
Quick Stats

In 2013, one in four adults (25.4 percent) volunteered through an organization, demonstrating that volunteering remains an important activity for millions of Americans.

Altogether, 62.6 million Americans volunteered nearly 7.7 billion hours last year. Based on the Independent Sector's estimate of the average value of a volunteer hour, the estimated value of this volunteer service is nearly $173 billion.
More than 138 million Americans (62.5 percent) also engaged in "informal volunteering" in their communities, which includes helping neighbors with such tasks as watching each other's children, helping with shopping, or house sitting.
Two-thirds (68.5 percent) of Americans have dinner with their family virtually every day, while three in four (75.7 percent) see or hear from friends and family at least a few times a week, and more than a third (36.3 percent) are involved in a school, civic, recreational, religious, or other organization.
The top volunteer activities included fundraising or selling items to raise money (25.4 percent); collecting, preparing, distributing, or serving food (24.2 percent); providing transportation and general labor support (19.6 percent); tutoring and teaching youth (18 percent); mentoring youth (17.3 percent); and lending professional and management expertise (15 percent).
Volunteers are almost twice as likely to donate to charity as non-volunteers. Nearly eight in 10 (79.2 percent) volunteers donated to charity, compared to four in 10 (40.4 percent) of non-volunteers. Overall, half of all citizens (50.7 percent) donated at least $25 to charity in 2013.

http://www.volunteeringinamerica.gov/#sthash.1z14DT5W.dpuf

also a database here http://www.volunteeringinamerica.gov/export.cfm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought your last thread on this subject established without doubt that you have absolutely no idea what charity is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on riding on your wife's coattails, the whole time trying to convince her it isn't worth it because of the ungrateful peons taking advantage of her. Don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back.

Oh, BTW, IL is part of the midwest, so your traffic comparison and time point seems to be incongruent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
Are you having a rough Christmas, friend?

Nope, its been a great year for me ! thanks for caring.

gelrod wrote:
You've had several posts recently that celebrate your charitable spirit and it just seems like you've been fishing for some praise.

Not my intention , Instead my intention is to irritate the progressive moonbats. you see, this is the worst time of the year for most moonbats. They hate non government mandated charity and Christian based holidays. I love it even more for that very reason

gelrod wrote:
Good job! All of us here at RSP are proud of you and your giving spirit. Keep it up! Without people like you those pathetic "poor people" that are too lazy to get a high paying job would be left with only Jesus-Obama food stamps for Christmas gifts.

It really is fun. I am the worst human in RSP, the worst I tell you. And yet I do more each year then 90% of you moonbats who are all about "volunteering" and "giving back to your community" (HUMBLEBRAG).

I fucking love it.... I giggle each and every time a moonbats chimes in with your disapproval.

gelrod wrote:
So, when you're sitting around the fire on Christmas Eve (Obama in effigy, of course), just know that the people here admire and respect the charity you give for no other reason than admiration and respect.

your post has reinvigorated me to do more and above all post more about it. not for me, but for you. God bless you moonbats all and merry Christmas !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Midwest, they are nice folks. They'll give you the chirt right off your back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

It really is fun. I am the worst human in RSP, the worst I tell you. And yet I do more each year then 90% of you moonbats who are all about "volunteering" and "giving back to your community" (HUMBLEBRAG).

I think that just might be BRAG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

From said database: Volunteer hours per resident, 2013, by region:

Midwest: 33.3
Northeast: 27.8
South: 30.3
West: 36.6

I'm really resisting a snarky comment here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:

C'mon, do it, all the cool kids are doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:

From said database: Volunteer hours per resident, 2013, by region:

Midwest: 33.3
Northeast: 27.8
South: 30.3
West: 36.6

You mean like how more of those hours really should go towards teaching basic literacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
You mean like how more of those hours really should go towards teaching basic literacy?

Are we still doing that grammar and spelling meme ? I thought that shit died like four years ago.

And its true, I am the worlds most successful functionally illiterate person. your welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Are we still doing that grammar and spelling meme ? I thought that shit died like four years ago.

And its true, I am the worlds most successful functionally illiterate person. your welcome.

It seems you are doubling down on the illiteracy thing, he was making a comment on your reading comprehension, not your ability to write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Are we still doing that grammar and spelling meme ?

No, it's the less-popular-but-really-catching-on-fast meme of "33>36"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

No Jeremy, I don't much care about your grammar and spelling accuracy....well I do but that's not truly germane here.

I'd far rather you actually and critically read in totality the linked articles you tend to post along with other relevant material on the same subject and then make a nominal attempt to actually relate those materials to the topic at hand.

There are quite a few ways in which a person may be charitable and almost none of them call for patting oneself on the back or using such behavior as a lever to co-opt the recipients into a particular world view.

Hunting up stats so you can try and concoct yet another left right divide issue isn't really part of the whole charitable spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who gives a chirt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.