Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ambiguity that raised during our second game tonight:

Can we use jokers ANYTIME we're required to discard cards?

I'm asking because an Event was requiring the party to discard one joker and one "tree" card. We were wondering if we could use 2 jokers instead since no one had any trees... we were not sure if jokers were ok in that case...

So are jokers good for ANY discard situation?

Thanks again guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Welch
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has always allowed the "joker" cards to replace anything asked for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use Joker to replace the symbols in discarding.

I think it's explicity stated in the rule (in last paragraph of p.7 and first texample of p.8). [English rule]

Cheers,
Star

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Can we use jokers ANYTIME we're required to discard cards?

Jokers can substitute for discarding any other Activity symbol (Friendship, Hiding, Traveling, Fighting).

They cannot substitute for discarding colors (grey, white, yellow), or specific Feature cards (e.g. Book, Eowyn).

If jokers are used when moving Activity line markers, joker symbols from the same card cannot be split between different lines. When discarding, however, one card with multiple jokers can be used for multiple symbols. When discarding it is similar: multiple jokers on one card cannot be used for multiple symbols, except in the case of one joker plus one other symbol (e.g. the "Speak Friend and Enter" Event in Moria). [Thanks to Matt for the correction.]

Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
When discarding, however, one card with multiple jokers can be used for multiple symbols.

This is not true, and is made explicit in Chris Lawson's extended rules. A double joker can be discarded to satisfy a discard requirement of a joker and a hiding, however a double joker cannot be used by itself to satisfy a discard requirement featuring more than one of the basic sybmols (for the Wormtongue Unmasked event, for example).

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Barliman wrote:
When discarding, however, one card with multiple jokers can be used for multiple symbols.

This is not true, and is made explicit in Chris Lawson's extended rules. A double joker can be discarded to satisfy a discard requirement of a joker and a hiding, however a double joker cannot be used by itself to satisfy a discard requirement featuring more than one of the basic sybmols (for the Wormtongue Unmasked event, for example).

-MMM

Ok I'm more confused than ever now...

Regarding Chris Lawson's rules, it says:
Wormtongue unmasked:
A double symbol Joker card may not be used to pay for the entire Event cost (as such cards can only be used to represent one Activity).

But in the "Playing one or two cards" rule section, it says you can:

(Note: when you discard a card with two star symbols, these may represent any two symbols, even two different ones. But each card can only affect one Activity line.)

Isn't it contradictory, or maybe there's something I'm missing?
Is it a rule specific to this Wormtongue event or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i.a.m wrote:
Ok I'm more confused than ever now...

Regarding Chris Lawson's rules, it says:
Wormtongue unmasked:
A double symbol Joker card may not be used to pay for the entire Event cost (as such cards can only be used to represent one Activity).

But in the "Playing one or two cards" rule section, it says you can:

(Note: when you discard a card with two star symbols, these may represent any two symbols, even two different ones. But each card can only affect one Activity line.)

Isn't it contradictory, or maybe there's something I'm missing?
Is it a rule specific to this Wormtongue event or what?

Your quote with the parenthetical note is found in Chris's page for the "Full Second Edition Rules", but it is not his "Expanded Rule" page, nor in my game's copy of the rules for the same section. I'd suspect that the 2nd Edition rules allow for a multi-joker to be discarded for multiple symbols, except that Chris's "2nd Edition Rule" page was last updated in Jan'02, and the "Expanded Rules" in Aug'03. So I believe that it is not allowed, tho I am not completely sure. Any comments Matt?

Thanks for pointing this out, though. It's probably the reason why I initially remembered the rule the way I did above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
If something changed I'm not aware of it. It comes up rarely enough that I'd think either interpretation that you choose to go with would work. The important part is that the double-wild cannot be used to move two separate activity markers.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.