Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Connors
United States
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't wait!
PS
At first I didn't like pandemic because I got the rules wrong; I thought the infection number (2 for example) meant that you draw 2 infect cards and ADD 2 CUBES to each city drawn! haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Connors
United States
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Not me

Not a fan, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Not me

+1.

No interest whatsoever here.

Edited since I might've misunderstood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Taylor
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Tzer wrote:
Not me

+1. No interest whatsoever here.

Did he mean "not me" as in he can't wait either? I'm confused.

I'm intrigued by it, at least. I will probably get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, maybe I misunderstood based on the comment after it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not sold on the idea of playing a game once and it is done forever. Yes, I know it more like a series of games over time and an ever changing story. But once it is done, you can never play it again unless you buy the game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soltydog wrote:
I'm really not sold on the idea of playing a game once and it is done forever. Yes, I know it more like a series of games over time and an ever changing story. But once it is done, you can never play it again unless you buy the game again.

Good thing Legacy games aren't actually like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Soltydog wrote:

I thought they were. They were saying they want it to be like Risk Legacy, and from what I heard there, cards get torn up, stickers get put on them and things change forever.

So how do Legacy games work then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Soltydog wrote:

Aren't they though? In Risk Legacy you rip up cards, open sealed packets, change the board, etc. So after you complete the campaign, you couldn't play a new campaign with the same game components. You'd need a fresh set.

Edit: ninja'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Me and my group are very eager to play it. I would say "we can't wait", except there are still so many recently-acquired games we haven't played yet. The new Robinson Crusoe expansion... Battle at Kemble's Crusade... a whole bunch of Star Trek Attack Wing and Descent 2nd Edition stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
stevepop wrote:
Soltydog wrote:

Aren't they though? In Risk Legacy you rip up cards, open sealed packets, change the board, etc. So after you complete the campaign, you couldn't play a new campaign with the same game components. You'd need a fresh set.

All that's just gimicky stuff though. The real secret is that Risk Legacy is just an awesome game in its own right with mechanics I can actually play and enjoy. Even if you aren't playing "the campaign", the game is still worth playing.

I'm hoping that Pandemic Legacy will be exponentially better, just as Risk Legacy was exponentially improved.

edit: Although I did enjoy renaming Europe to "Middle Earth".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
stevepop wrote:
Soltydog wrote:

I haven't played Risk Legacy, but my understanding is that once you finish the campaign, you still have a unique, customized copy of Risk that you can continue playing indefinitely. Just because the game stops changing after a dozen or so plays doesn't mean that it ceases to be playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:

I haven't played Risk Legacy, but my understanding is that once you finish the campaign, you still have a unique, customized copy of Risk that you can continue playing indefinitely. Just because the game stops changing after a dozen or so plays doesn't mean that it ceases to be playable.

This is 100% correct.

I think Robert Florence says it perfectly in his review of Risk Legacy:

Review wrote:
Risk: Legacy is not about destroying a game, it is about creating one. Removal is an essential part of creation. What you take out is as important as what you put in. This board game is like a big chunk of rock. Ugly rock, too. Risk rock. And you hack at it and break parts off and end up with something that is beautiful. A game that your group made as you played.

Every other game on our shelves has had stuff removed, edited, changed, and tinkered with before it reached the final version we bought and opened. Risk Legacy dials purchasing moment back juuuuust a little sooner in the design process and lets you and your friends create something unique and awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
There's a difference between playing a brand new copy of Risk Legacy, where there's a possibility that things will unfold in new and unexpected ways, and playing the game that resulted from a Risk Legacy campaign, where nothing further will change. In the latter you're not really playing the "Legacy" game. You're effectively just playing a non-standard Risk variant.

So in a sense you're right... there is something playable at the end of Risk Legacy campaign, but I'd argue that whatever that playable thing is, it's not Risk Legacy. So if you want the Risk Legacy experience again, you have to buy another copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Whyte
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a regular group that really enjoys Pandemic, you likely should and will enjoy this.

If you don't, this probably isn't the type of game you're going to be looking at buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
I think Robert Florence says it perfectly in his review of Risk Legacy

I think so too! I didn't know he was still reviewing board games, so thanks for the link
And yes, I'm looking forward to Pandemic Legacy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're working through Risk Legacy right now, and I'm quite impressed with how it lets us design our own game. At the end of the 15 missions to determine the fate of the Earth, we will have a complete, playable, customized version of Risk that will stay in our regular game rotation.

There's no truth to the claim that Risk Legacy is done when the 15 games are finished.

It's also a stretch to call it a "campaign," as there's really no overarching narrative. You're just modifying things, adding rules, naming things, etc., and you have a complete game at the end.

I can't wait to see how this plays out with Pandemic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Bower
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My most anticipated game of 2015, and one of the rare games *Out side of Gencon* that I will get the week its released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.