Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to learn Suburbia and just to clarify...

Population can be immediately affected by tiles with the Meeple printed on them and every round it can be affected by the "resolution" of the reputation marker?

So, if at the beginning of this turn my Population is on the 2 and my reputation is on the 1 and nothing happens to affect either on this turn, at the end of my turn I move my Population up 1?

If I begin my turn at -2 reputation and my Population is on the 10, and nothing I do affects my reputation this turn, I move my Population down to 8? On a subsequent turn if I still do nothing to change it, it will reduce my Population another 2?

I guess what I'm asking is if Reputation is a rate that remains constant unless I change it with tiles. So if I have a reputation of 3, every turn I at least get 3 more population no matter what so long as it is still 3.

I don't reset the Reputation each turn, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.

But be aware, there are exceptions to the statement that reputation doesn't change if you don't do anything to actively change it during your turn. The exception is that there are certain population levels built into the game where your reputation and income automatically reduce by one if your population moves beyond these milestones (e.g. population of 15).

For example, you start your turn with population of 12, reputation of 4 and income of 7. Let's say you play a tile that does not impact any of these numbers (e.g. a lake), when you end your turn, your population will increase by 4, increasing your population to 16. Since you passed the population 15 milestone, you will then adjust downward your reputation and income by 1, thus ending with reputation of 3 and income of 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it helpful to think of the relationship between reputation and population as being exactly like the relationship between income and money (the little coins the game uses).

Money is how many of the little coins you have, and every turn you gain or lose the amount indicated by your income. Population (effectively victory points) is the actual number you have on the scoreboard, and every turn you gain or lose the amount indicated by your reputation.

I hope that helps a little!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That helps. I don't know why I kept getting stuck on that but I had this urge to do a cleanup phase where the reputation is put back to a fixed spot on the track at the end of a round.

I've got more game rules than songs in my head. It's easy to mix up the lyrics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.