Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies and weapons can work together... depending on the ally and and the weapon.

Basically, you get everything from every possession you have, EXCEPT that you only get one +X bonus (whichever one is highest). So, for instance, if you have

hired muscle (+1 str, reroll one die during str tests)
double-barreled shotgun (+4 str in combat, 6s count as 2s)
.38 revolver (+1 str in combat)
fishing net (reroll one die in combat, damage from enemies reduced by 1)

then you get +4 (from the shotgun, the highest bonus), plus all sixes count as 2 successes, plus two rerolls (one from the hired muscle, one from the fishing net), and all damage from enemies is reduced by one.

The .38 revolver does you nothing in this case, since it has no special abilities, and the plus it gives you to combat is lower than the shotgun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Allies and weapons can work together... depending on the ally and and the weapon.

Basically, you get everything from every possession you have, EXCEPT that you only get one +X bonus (whichever one is highest). So, for instance, if you have

hired muscle (+1 str, reroll one die during str tests)
double-barreled shotgun (+4 str in combat, 6s count as 2s)
.38 revolver (+1 str in combat)
fishing net (reroll one die in combat, damage from enemies reduced by 1)

then you get +4 (from the shotgun, the highest bonus), plus all sixes count as 2 successes, plus two rerolls (one from the hired muscle, one from the fishing net), and all damage from enemies is reduced by one.

The .38 revolver does you nothing in this case, since it has no special abilities, and the plus it gives you to combat is lower than the shotgun.

And to add to that, anything talking about "an additional die" rather than a +X stat increase can also stack...so if you were Jim Culver (all allies on your space roll one additional die during combat) on the same Wilderness space as Leo Anderson (all allies on your space roll one additional die for tests on Wilderness spaces) in the example above, you'd get two more dice in your pool for the strength test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about cards to reduce damage to a minimum of one? Do they stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
mageith wrote:

Yes they do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fadhli Suib
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's another asset that have higher stats than the shotgun +4 will I get the 6 as 2 success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
urakei wrote:
If there's another asset that have higher stats than the shotgun +4 will I get the 6 as 2 success?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
mageith wrote:

Yes they do

I was under the impression that additional clauses had to be unique (a.k.a. different) in order to apply. Two items that give you the same effect can't be used to apply that effect twice in the same combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:
mageith wrote:

Yes they do

I was under the impression that additional clauses had to be unique (a.k.a. different) in order to apply. Two items that give you the same effect can't be used to apply that effect twice in the same combat.

What gave you that impression?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E A
msg tools
soakman wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:
mageith wrote:

Yes they do

I believe not.
Rulebook page 12 only mentions single skill bonuses.

Quote:

An investigator can use only one card effect that provides a skill bonus during each test (for example, an Asset that reads “Gain +1 [”). If he has multiple card effects that provide a bonus, he uses the highest bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
soakman wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:
mageith wrote:

Yes they do

What gave you that impression?

I'll have to do a doublecheck. You are probably correct, but I'm used to Arkham Horror ruling against the player 9 out of 10 times. It's usually not an issue, but with the expansion now there are additional (reduce damage by 1 minimum of 1) cards and a bunch that give you +x to spell casts (not Lore.. so not techincally a "bonus")...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacking in this game is fairly straightforward.

First, look at all your "+X" effects that would apply. Take only the largest. +X effects always modify your skill.

Then, stack that with everything else.

Then, check if you are rolling less than 1 (2 with Gambler's Dice) die. If you are, roll a minimum of 1 die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.