Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am to assume that Tanagra is really just a learning scenario to play through the Hoplite system. Right?

I have played it solo once and once on VASSAL and while it is kind of enjoyable, it really does not have much there for you to decide. You make a couple of somewhat significant decisions, the units are on top of each other, they shock and then one of the armies pretty much routs. Right?

OK, so a couple of questions:

1: This scenario should not last much past a second turn. Right?

2: Hoplite units, including Phalanxes, are eliminated if in Rout during a Phase D of a turn. Essentially it should only take 3 to 4 units to rout to end the game. Right?

3: Shock is ONLY possible if an ACTIVE unit has an enemy unit in at least ONE of its FRONT hexes? For two-hex units, that would be three-hexes.

4: A Hoplite unit may wheel when advancing in the initial charge as long as it is continuing to charge, and all Hoplite units take a 1 CH except for Spartan Hoplites for the wheel/pivot.

5: What happens if a "Charging" Hoplite has friendly units directly in front of it as it is Charging?

I think that is about it. I think I know the answers to these questions but just want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I`ll try to answer.

1) Depends. If both players simply advance against each other, yes, it can end pretty quickly. Still, my personal average length is rather 3 turns

2) It`s not so easy to offer one general answer here - yes, if You look at Ephesus, Marathon... but there are scenarios where "Greek" army do not have that much of Double Hex units - Mycale, for example. Even starting from Nemea onwards - the Rout Levels are high enough that players need rout more than 3 or 4 enemy units. Also, Hoplite ruleset allows to Rally the Routed Hoplites - though it must happen before the end of last activation, because yes, they are eliminated in Phase D.

3) Yes.

4) I`m not quite sure what You mean by "the initial charge", but as for 1 CH per pivot - yes.

5) The most simple answer to encompass all the posibilities - it cannot stack with a friendly unit, so it either stops or performs a move that is possible (for example to expend all available Movement Points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much agree with what RyTo has said, Tanagra usally take me 2 to 3 turns.

in regards to the 4th question, I think what is mean by initial charge by the OP is when the players is governed by the advance to combat rules, and yea you can pivot as long as its in the direction of the enemy with each time it is done costing a CH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

As for my second question, I was actually only askin about Tanagra. I think I understaf what you are saying well.

As for the other issue, I should have used the name the rule is in the actual rules. Yes, I was referring to Advance to Combat.

I wonder in using Advance to Conbat, can one choose ANY unit. Or is it like Musket and Pike Charge Order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.