Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Distant Suns/Leader possible w.o. Timewarp Device? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
After several TI3 sessions we are considering to give the Distant Suns and Leader variants a try.

Any idea how much longer the game will last? Mostly we play with the Special Objective und ISCV 1 VP options.

With this variants we had a one time nightmare session with a duration of about 12h (5 players, due to player elimnation 4 players for about 2/3 of the game). To this we are wondering how this was possible, maybe that we were seriously drunk were one reason... especially since our yesterday game ended after 5h (but still with some beer)...

So is it possible to add Distant Suns and the Leaders and still be able to end the game in, say, 7h? Or do we need a kind of Timewarp Device to be able to end the game in a reasonable timeframe?

Thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders will hardly prolong the game at all... maybe with 5-10 minutes tops.

Distant suns might set you back 30 minutes. It only slows down the first round or two. Personaly I find distant suns much more satisfying since it gives the first two rounds some excitement, rather than just mechanicaly taking the planets around you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Christian here. I do not think the Leaders or Distant Suns variants would account for that much of a time increase. My games using both those variants actually take nearly the same time as those without; the DS makes the beginning take a little longer due to caution, but not that much, and Leaders don't seem to really significantly add any time at all.

I can't really explain why adding those would cause the game to go from 7 hours to 12 hours, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Oh, sorry it seemed my post was open to misunderstanding. We never used DS and Leaders actually. Our 12h game included only the following variants: Special Objectives, better Dreads, balanced setup and lots of beer...

But thanx, i think we will give DS and the Leaders a try next time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiuso wrote:
Oh, sorry it seemed my post was open to misunderstanding. We never used DS and Leaders actually. Our 12h game included only the following variants: Special Objectives, better Dreads, balanced setup and lots of beer...

But thanx, i think we will give DS and the Leaders a try next time...

The last component is what likely made it a 7 hour game
OTOH, I'm sure that it increased the enjoyment significantly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with 'em all the time now and it doesn't seem to increase the playing time much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.