1 Posts

Jugula» Forums » Variants

Subject: Teams rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Young
Australia
flag msg tools
The existing rules have provision for 3- and 4-player games, but with each familia fighting only for itself. This has the problem that the outcome of the game depends primarily upon who decides to gang up on who.

My suspicions that this would be the case were recently confirmed in a 3-player game. The other 2 players started the game fighting each other full-on while neglecting even to approach my region of the arena. Then after they saw that I was gaining in Vox Populi and buying up valuable cards they made a pact to break off all hostilities between themselves and attack me exclusively. This occurred and the 2 v 1 advantage they enjoyed soon overcame my excellent start and I was the first player eliminated.

If playing the 4-player game, this problem can be removed by having the players fight in 2 teams, say Red Team and Blue Team. Each set of two players making up a team have a full set of 12 galadiators to choose between, with each choosing 4 of the 12 and the remaining 4 being set aside. There are thus no duplicate gladiators on the same team. Each player has his/her own set of cards and Vox Populi rating and plays his/her own familia in his/her own turn, but the players on the same team play co-operatively, sharing information and conspiring towards team victory.

Gladiators on the same team but controlled by your teammate are not counted as "enemy" for any purpose, and hence never "threaten" your own gladiators or impose movement penalties upon them. You can only use your own cards to cause the 4 gladiators of your own familia to move or attack, but otherwise the gladiators of a teammate are treated similarly to your own.

Set up is as per the regular 4-player set-up, but the order of play is Player 1 from Team A, Player 1 from Team B, Player 2 from Team A, Player 2 from Team B with the indentities of Player 1 and Player 2 unchanging from turn to turn.

Victory for a team is obtained when one familia in the opposite team is eliminated as per the usual rules (ie when a total of 4 wounds are reached). This rule drives the game to a relatively quick conclusion and avoids the remaining team-member having to struggle on against 2-1 odds and almost inevitable defeat.

Playing this variant I found that I was still the first player eliminated, but I felt that the game was more balanced and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.