Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Yardmaster Express» Forums » Variants

Subject: Backwards Engine Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you flip the engine cards, you could play trains right to left instead of left to right. Is this intended to be a variant, or is merely an unforeseen flaw in the cards? Were there former rules planned in playtesting for the train to go either directions? Would all players go the same direction or could it be mixed up to increase the strategy required between players?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Play it however you enjoy it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed an unfortunate flaw with the Engine Cards. The game is always suppose to be played left-to-right. In fact, playing right-to-left would break the game.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
This is indeed an unfortunate flaw with the Engine Cards. The game is always suppose to be played left-to-right. In fact, playing right-to-left would break the game.


Which aspects about playing right to left would break the game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
This is indeed an unfortunate flaw with the Engine Cards. The game is always suppose to be played left-to-right. In fact, playing right-to-left would break the game.

Which aspects about playing right to left would break the game?

As I outlined here, much of my design work was spent balancing the value and color distribution, while keeping in mind how the cards would link up. If cards were to link both left-to-right and right-to-left, I'd have to significantly redesign the game. Glaring examples are the 2/3 cards and the entire purple suit.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. And now you have spawned another question... I'm curious, why is the 5-player expansion included in all games of 3 or more players? That doesn't appear to be the original intent, so did something come up in testing that made you feel five types of rail cars was better than four regardless of the player count?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Thanks for the info. And now you have spawned another question... I'm curious, why is the 5-player expansion included in all games of 3 or more players? That doesn't appear to be the original intent, so did something come up in testing that made you feel five types of rail cars was better than four regardless of the player count?

You just want all the secrets. cool

The short answer is that the Purple suit was originally created for the 5p game, but it worked so well we wanted to keep it in every game. Unfortunately, it balloons the deck too large for competition in a 2p game, which is why they are removed for 2p.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, given the circumstances, of course I want all the secrets. The game developer is sitting at his computer answering all my questions!

Next query, which is your favorite caboose expansion card?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Well, given the circumstances, of course I want all the secrets. The game developer is sitting at his computer answering all my questions!

Next query, which is your favorite caboose expansion card?

I have three favorites: Short Line (of course), The Little Engine, and Buried Alive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Thanks for the info. And now you have spawned another question... I'm curious, why is the 5-player expansion included in all games of 3 or more players? That doesn't appear to be the original intent, so did something come up in testing that made you feel five types of rail cars was better than four regardless of the player count?

You just want all the secrets. cool

The short answer is that the Purple suit was originally created for the 5p game, but it worked so well we wanted to keep it in every game. Unfortunately, it balloons the deck too large for competition in a 2p game, which is why they are removed for 2p.

Now I am curious: does the designer (you) like the game better with the purple cards. So would you say that is the definite game? Because I was wondering whether I should try 4p without purple.

Regarding the end train: in a game with 2p we always use two trains per player to lay out the complete length of the train and fill in the 7 cards between these. Makes perfectly sense and you always have all relevant information open on both cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Thanks for the info. And now you have spawned another question... I'm curious, why is the 5-player expansion included in all games of 3 or more players? That doesn't appear to be the original intent, so did something come up in testing that made you feel five types of rail cars was better than four regardless of the player count?

You just want all the secrets. cool

The short answer is that the Purple suit was originally created for the 5p game, but it worked so well we wanted to keep it in every game. Unfortunately, it balloons the deck too large for competition in a 2p game, which is why they are removed for 2p.

Now I am curious: does the designer (you) like the game better with the purple cards. So would you say that is the definite game? Because I was wondering whether I should try 4p without purple.


No, definitely keep purple in. I haven't removed it since I first playtested with purple. It's here to stay. cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.