Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is for the AH version.

I found the pogs too cumbersome and fidgety to be practical. We simply choose numbers:

2 player game = odd/even
3 player game = 1-2/3-4/5-6
4 player game = 1/2/3/4 5/6 are rerolls
5 player game = 1/2/3/4/5 6 = reroll
6 player game = all numbers are used

So the pogs are not in the box.

Secondly, for a 5-6 player game, I have bought 2 decks of playing cards and merged them into 1 after writing all the card information on them. I don't have the fancy spray paint and perfect copies for the player 5-6 boards, but I have cut out pieces from my cereal box. Whatever, it works.

Then I threw away the big ship piece as it takes too long fitting your ships in there.

Finally, since I'm missing a red ship, I used the defense ship as a regular ship.

Overall, my goals are streamlined and function over authenticity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the pogs ensure that every system gets attacked a certain number of times throughout the course of the game. Using dice instead of the pogs could result in a game where one or two systems get ignored, giving certain players a distinct advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
Keep in mind that the pogs ensure that every system gets attacked a certain number of times throughout the course of the game. Using dice instead of the pogs could result in a game where one or two systems get ignored, giving certain players a distinct advantage.

For this exact reason, I would not use dice for destiny. The game has enough random elements in the cards. Making an almost non-random element very random may not be what many players are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
For exactly the reasons others have stated above, I would highly suggest that you use cards instead of dice. You can simply paint the colors on some extra playing cards. This will even allow you to add some of the other destiny cards from the Eon and Mayfair sets. (Examples are: encounter the player to your left, encounter the player with the most bases (you choose in the case of ties), reverse destinies, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest slighly another (hopefuly not-so-difficult) system.

Get one 10-sided (with 0 instead of 10) & one 12-sided die for each of the player's colours. 10-sided die would represent "number of attacks" on that player (i.e. starting at 0 and increasing by 1 on each attack).

Then just simply roll with all 12-sided dices and the player with the same colour as the lowest number gets attacked. In the case it will show the same or lower value as the dice on his base system, ignore this particular die in this roll and look for higher values (i.e. another legal target).

If there will be equality between two or more systems, rolling player may choose one encounter as he wishes - from all possible options. When there is no legal target at all, the rolling player has to throw again.

Also, when all players reach 8+, you may agreed on reset back to 0 again.

-X-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.