Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, I purchased some games in the BGG Marketplace. I used Paypal. I made a note on the transaction so that the seller would know exactly what the money from Paypal was for. I then got a notice from Paypal that they were investigating the transaction and were possibly reporting me to US Treasury Depart for breaking the law:

Quote:
Dear Brian Current,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.

PayPal's Compliance Department has reviewed your account and identified activity that may be in violation of United States regulations administered by the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

PayPal is committed to complying with and meeting its global regulatory obligations. One obligation is to ensure that our customers, merchants, and partners are also in compliance with applicable laws and regulations,including those set forth by OFAC, in their use of PayPal.

To ensure that activity and transactions comply with current regulations, PayPal is requesting that you provide the following information via email to compliancetransactions@paypal.com:

1. Purpose of payment 62R672897U756571J with the transaction message "This is for BGG #297281 - Railways of the World bundle (as listed on marketplace), Goa, and Cuba Libre (NIS). Thank you." attempted on December 17, 2014 in the amount of $XXX.XX USD, including a complete and detailed explanation of the goods or services you intended to purchase. Specifically, please explain the reference to Cuba.

Please go to our Resolution Center to provide this information. To find the Resolution Center, log in to your account and click the Resolution Center subtab. Click Resolve under the Action column and follow the instructions.

If we don't hear from you by January 02, 2015, we will limit what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Samantha
PayPal Compliance Department

What? You think I funding a revolution in Cuba trough Paypal by sending money from Indiana to California? I followed the instructions and replied with:

Quote:
The reference to Cuba is a board game called Cuba Libre which I was purchasing New In Shrink (NIS). More information can be found about the game at http://www.gmtgames.com/p-497-cuba-libre-reprint-edition.asp... or Board Game Geek (the “BGG” referenced above where I purchased the games) at https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/111799/cuba-libre. Railways of the World and Goa are also board games that can be found on the Board Game Geek website.

I am really surprised that buying board games would cause someone to suspect a possible illegal activity. Besides, are the feds really interested in Cuba still? Didn't all that stuff happen 50+ years ago? We are just two geeky dudes buying and selling games.

Does this satisfy the inquiry?

Brian

The funny part is I almost purchased Ca$h 'n Gun$ as well. For that,I might have gotten a visit from the ATF.

Lesson: Don't use game names on Paypal.

I will post if anything interesting comes in the response.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

omfg that's hilarious.

I am so going to buy some stuff just to see what I can trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that you mentioned that, there were also incidents of mentioning "Nico" in reference of a character from the anime Love Live could get your paypal account suspended. Because apparently, they think you are giving money to: NICO, Naftiran Intertrade Company Ltd., an Iranian oil company

Edit: Added more information to post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is that even legal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
That's fantastic and hilarious

Also creepy. PayPal is watching you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
How is that even legal?

I would guess that like everything else when you sign 'the terms of agreement', you sign away any right to privacy in communication.

I am still trying to figure out what they even suspect I was doing that could have been illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, don't stress over it. You have enlightened a security guard.

I had the same reaction when a TSA airport guard wondered at the clawed backscratcher he saw on the X-ray. He didn't know what it was so of course reacted. I educated, he understood, and we all went on wiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LMAO!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me when I bought the game Cuba in a BGG auction and paid via paypal. Too funny, but hey, better safe than sorry, right? thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
LMAO!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me when I bought the game Cuba in a BGG auction and paid via paypal. Too funny, but hey, better safe than sorry, right? thumbsup

Safe from what exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
FREEZE!

Put your hands on the back of your head and spread your feet!

Now when I pat you down I'm not going to get stuck by any meeple splinters, am I?

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BC Indy wrote:
eapeas wrote:
LMAO!

Safe from what exactly?

Paypal is protecting itself from being used for illegal transfers of money, which is something most financial institutions have to guard against or get annoying government legal problems. Part of the way they guard is demonstrating oversight of the transactions. In this case, a simple filter on the transaction description. They can demonstrate this to legal entities and is well within the tech comprehension of those entities. The fact they then 'enforce' the results is to prove they are following the law and are not responsible if some sneaky terrorist sends funds to 'K'uba.

Naturally, they don't know you, nor did they care. It is all about protecting their legal interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stj007 wrote:
Did you guys listen to the recent DiceTower podcast in which someone got in trouble with customs for bringing Fresh Fish (a game) back from Essen?

Yes, I heard about that. This seems even stranger because it happened solely inside of the US and "involves" the Treasury Department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will someone please sell me Santiago de Cuba, Russian Railroads, Power Grid: China/Korea (oh, THAT should be a good one), Isis & Osiris, Pass the Bomb, and Nuclear Proliferation. I MUST pay using Paypal. This is going to be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
BC Indy wrote:
eapeas wrote:
LMAO!

Safe from what exactly?

Paypal is protecting itself from being used for illegal transfers of money, which is something most financial institutions have to guard against or get annoying government legal problems. Part of the way they guard is demonstrating oversight of the transactions. In this case, a simple filter on the transaction description. They can demonstrate this to legal entities and is well within the tech comprehension of those entities. The fact they then 'enforce' the results is to prove they are following the law and are not responsible if some sneaky terrorist sends funds to 'K'uba.

Naturally, they don't know you, nor did they care. It is all about protecting their legal interests.

That all sounds plausible, but is Cuba really full of "sneaky terrorists"? Is Cuba a threat to us somehow? I wonder why the word "Cuba" would trigger anything?

Edit for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BC Indy wrote:
eapeas wrote:
LMAO!

Safe from what exactly?

Safe is the last word that I'd use. It's easier to get on lists than off them (the tragic incident in Australia the other day notwithstanding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I will immediately order a Busen Memo using PayPal!

I wonder what will happen ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Now I will immediately order a Busen Memo using PayPal!

I wonder what will happen ...

Keep us abreast of your progress with that one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTetsuo wrote:
Fear not, the non-sense of the US relations with Cuba is about to finally end.

If only we could get senators and congressmen playing Cuba Libre, maybe a more sensible policy would have prevailed already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, it might be time to change avatars. Surely Clint would pay Miss Samantha a little visit over such a challenge to his patriotism. Blond-haired, blue-eyed Midwestern Brian would type an explanation email. But not Clint. He'd be cleaning his weapon and catching grit in his eyes.

If you need a wingman with you when you ride to PayPalville on your trusty Honda steed, just let me know. Turns out I've got 2 weeks of vacation coming up tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
Brian, it might be time to change avatars. Surely Clint would pay Miss Samantha a little visit over such a challenge to his patriotism. Blond-haired, blue-eyed Midwestern Brian would type an explanation email. But not Clint. He'd be cleaning his weapon and catching grit in his eyes.

If you need a wingman with you when you ride to PayPalville on your trusty Honda steed, just let me know. Turns out I've got 2 weeks of vacation coming up tomorrow.

Shhhhhhhhhhh! They are watching me now.

Thanks Rob. Hope all is well with your crew. Have a Merry Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
Paypal is protecting itself from being used for illegal transfers of money
But only when the criminals are kind enough to footnote what the illegal activity is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I guess from now on, I'll be sure to include the note
"NOT for funding terrorist activities".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all part of a publicity campaign for a new edition of Love Letter. Your goal is to deliver a PayPal-Message to a boardgame-seller without the feds noticing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BC Indy wrote:
That all sounds plausible, but is Cuba really full of "sneaky terrorists"? Is Cuba a threat to us somehow? I wonder why the word "Cuba" would trigger anything?

The United States still has a trade embargo with Cuba, which I'm guessing PayPal would rather not be accused of breaking.

Although, with the news coming out of Washington today, that might be ending sooner rather than later: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/17/us-cuba-usa-gross-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmet U
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if people troll Paypal.
This is for The Resistance and Revolution!. I am expecting to receive Coup from you soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.