Subject: Rating Cootie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the average rating for "Cootie" is 3.3.

Who, in the name of all that is holy, gives Cootie a low rating? Sure, it doesn't compare to Puerto Rico or Die Macher if you're an adult, but it wasn't designed to be played by adults. If you're 3, this game is awesome.

Rating cootie low because it doesn't stand side by side with adult games is like giving Power Grid a low score because it's a crappy wargame (for the record, Power Grid is one of the crappiest wargames I've ever played- there's not even any combat!). Every game scores low if you rate it using criteria it shouldn't be rated with.

I have to assume that (159!) people dumped a low score on it so they look more reasonable in their profiles ("I don't love every game! See, I gave out a 2!"). This is a crass manipulation of numbers that maligns an undeserving classic. Either that, or dice snobs rate it low just to really drive the point home. Maybe it's the last step of your initiation into the dice snobs' secret club. You aren't in until you give Cootie a "1."

Anybody with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Spencer! What you're noticing is an issue that's been discussed a lot over the years on the 'geek: how to rate kids' games. I wish I could point you to a couple of the more interesting threads about this. Unfortunately I am too lazy to look for them right now.

There are a lot of people on BGG that rate kids' games on the same scale as adult games. If they won't play it, then they rate it low.

I think there are just as many people that rate kids' games based on how much fun they are to play with kids. I try to do this most of the time.

I don't think that someone would rate Cootie low to doctor their rating profile. Those are the people who rate Settlers of Catan low.

Anyway, I would rate Cootie very low even as a kids' game. Come on, It's a bad game! It's a mindless exercise in dice rolling. You are rolling and re-rolling the dang dice waiting to the right roll to get the last stupid leg. yuck! It's boring, it's tedious, and in the end you have a stupid bug who's parts fall off that your daughter wants to play house with and makes you talk in a high-pitched voice about going to the cootie ball and..............well, not that I've experienced that or anything.

I think there are a lot of other kids' games that are much better than Cootie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't rated it, but if I did I'd give it a low score for its stupid name. It was called Lucky Ladybirds in the UK. Much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be starting my son on Cootie this weekend, after his third birthday. I think it's a perfect starter, considering that he's never done anything more structured than sitting down to a meal in his life. I think working a single mechanic in a single direction is perfect until we get his attention span a little longer.

And actually, I was using Cootie as a synecdoche for kiddie games in general- even the ones much better than Cootie are unfairly low.

And- if you take out the part about dice-rolling, and change daughter to "friends" your mini-review of Cootie is how I feel about Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I haven't rated Cootie so I wouldn't know about that one specifically... but I have rated Chess a 2 so that's probably offensive to someone as well.

I think as long as we all rate games honestly and have valid reasons for rating as we do... it's not a problem. BGG is an open community and as long as there are no agendas behind the ratings you are giving to games I don't see a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
filistimo wrote:
I'll be starting my son on Cootie this weekend, after his third birthday. I think it's a perfect starter, considering that he's never done anything more structured than sitting down to a meal in his life. I think working a single mechanic in a single direction is perfect until we get his attention span a little longer.

And actually, I was using Cootie as a synecdoche for kiddie games in general- even the ones much better than Cootie are unfairly low.

And- if you take out the part about dice-rolling, and change daughter to "friends" your mini-review of Cootie is how I feel about Puerto Rico.

Cootie was, in fact, a bad choice to represent the "anti-kids game" phenomenon here on BGG. It really won't be corrected until the day that we can rate games within genre. E.g. if a game is listed as Childrens, Wargame, Economic, WWII, then we'd give the game 5 ratings (overall, kids, war, economic, and WWII). In Cootie's case, we'd I'd rate it poorly for "overall" and "children's" because it is such a bad game, but you get the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Anther way of looking at this is that all the ratings are relative anyway.

If you are looking for a children's game... then just search for only children's games in the advanced search and you'll find 100+ better games for kids than Cootie when sticking to that category of games.

The fact that a game like Europe Engulfed rates much higher than Gulo Gulo is not really a problem if you already realise they ARE already being rated on much different factors and all that really matters is how each war game is rated compared to other war games... and likewise how each children's game compares to each other.

I like having all games on one site and rated under one rating format. Simplicicy is actually good. A 1-10 scale based on how much we like to play something is pretty simple and straight forward. We can still use our brains to further sort amongst categories to get the best in each niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Anther way of looking at this is that all the ratings are relative anyway.

That would be true if everyone rated kids games just like they do all other games (war, economic, roll&move, etc). But since a certain number of raters rate kids games only as though they were played by their adult game group and the other raters rate kids games as though they were being played with their children, the theory of relativity falls apart. Same thing goes for party games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
That would be true if everyone rated kids games just like they do all other games (war, economic, roll&move, etc). But since a certain number of raters rate kids games only as though they were played by their adult game group and the other raters rate kids games as though they were being played with their children, the theory of relativity falls apart.

I certainly don't disagree with you on that Randy. People on BGG use many different subjective criteria to rate every game but when you take a look at the big picture I think everything balances out rather well in separating the terrible, average and great games in each niche. The site is made up of a wide cross section of personalities and it's the overall results we are looking at.

People who are consistently biased to rate certain types of games in a certain way are balanced out by others who rate those same certain types of games in another biased way. The final result is a picture of each game's rating after taking into account all the idiosyncrasies that each of us have. I don't think that trying to remove our biases and quirks which makes us who we are gives us a more accurate picture of which individual games and which groups of games are more or less appealing to us as a community.

It's up to each end user to decide what to make of the ratings and figure out what niche of games they would like to try. Within each sector we can still find great games to purchase and play using the resultant ratings and comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't rate children's games, because I'm not the target for them anymore. But mini-me does:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/MikeyLikesIt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.