Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Reporting OCTGN user equis (Update: Meta-Thread about reporting OCTGN players) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
He wasn't a fan of Astrobiotics apparently:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reporting OCTGN user equis
a) this is not octgn.

b) calling out people is frowned upon.

c) this isn't even the right subforum on this bgg gamepage.

d) I don't know enough about netrunner to know if you're actually making some meta joke or if you're just not the sharpest chip in the rig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward K.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I welcome down-vote/report hell for saying this:

But I don't mind when people call other people out for being rude/bad manners. Imagine if you're in a store playing, and the person literally flips the table or starts yelling like crazy about about Astrotrain is garbage and you're a shit tier player because of it. Instead of showing everyone what a jerk the runner was on the forums, they did it in public (and would most likely get talked about on-line anyway). I support "calling out" people so you know who to avoid.

But I agree this is kind of off topic I suppose, but than again it is talking about netrunner. But you do you Zeb. Now we will have 80 posts about this in this thread and be really off topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Maletic
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't a hack a good thing in Netrunner?...maybe it's a compliment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Annable
Canada
flag msg tools
scifiantihero wrote:

How's that? Calling people out for poor etiquette in the community should not be frowned upon. Like it or not OCTGN is a big part of the Netrunner community and people's behaviour in-game should not be considered a taboo topic. I think anyone who has played on OCTGN for any significant number of games has seen crappy attitudes (and worse) and I think if folks thought their shitty shittyness was likely to be publicly shamed, they might think twice and conduct themselves with a modicum of decency and civility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idk, to me it seems like you were trolling him a bit when you were all "GG lol". I mean why the rub-ins? Just move on. Plus, a lot of people hate astrotrain. He was just blowing off some steam. I don't even think his actual insult was that terrible, let alone worth making a thread about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
dannable wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

How's that? Calling people out for poor etiquette in the community should not be frowned upon. Like it or not OCTGN is a big part of the Netrunner community and people's behaviour in-game should not be considered a taboo topic. I think anyone who has played on OCTGN for any significant number of games has seen crappy attitudes (and worse) and I think if folks thought their shitty shittyness was likely to be publicly shamed, they might think twice and conduct themselves with a modicum of decency and civility.

It's not about the Netrunner community, it's about the BGG community - which enforces its rules, although one of those rules is to not call out others for breaking rules in the forums. In general, any negative comments towards others are outside the BGG community rules.

I'm not sure what the problem everyone has with this guy is - he's in what he sees as an unwinnable situation, and decided to concede. He didn't ragequit as soon as he saw your identity. Sure, he called you a hack, after you lol'd at him. I'm sure you meant it in good taste, but to someone who just got stomped by one of the more common strong decks, your lol could have been taken in the vein of "Oh, you hate NBN astrobiotics? Probably because it just crushed you, loser. Hahaha."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy simply conceded and you're calling him out? For what? Since when is it bad manner to concede when you think you have better things to do than waiting for your opponent to inevitably win?

The game was underway and he evaluated the situation, (actually, I don't understand why you hadn't won yet, with 2 Astros and an overadvanced Beale), he had every right to concede. It's not like he conceded at the sight of your ID card.

Then you teased him, quite rudely and childishly, and you're hoping that we'll sympathize with you?

edit: doh, ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on OCTGN quite alot and I have my own little list of people I now avoid because of arrogant or abusive messaging or rage quitting.

If there was a thread in the OCTGN gamers guild where people posted screenshots of this kind of behaviour I would subscribe to it and even post to it if I experience an particularly bad example. I think there is a place for this and maybe the knowledge that their poor behaviour can be posted for others to see might actually encourage civility and good sportsmanship.

In this particular instance though it wasn't so bad, at least he conceded and not rage quit mid turn. And to be fair chaining an astro-astro-beale with the last BN in hand is really fucking irritating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only person coming out bad in that screenshot is the OP imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
I play on OCTGN quite alot and I have my own little list of people I now avoid because of arrogant or abusive messaging or rage quitting.

If there was a thread in the OCTGN gamers guild where people posted screenshots of this kind of behaviour I would subscribe to it and even post to it if I experience an particularly bad example. I think there is a place for this and maybe the knowledge that their poor behaviour can be posted for others to see might actually encourage civility and good sportsmanship.

In this particular instance though it wasn't so bad, at least he conceded and not rage quit mid turn. And to be fair chaining an astro-astro-beale with the last BN in hand is really fucking irritating.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1L-p7ofxKCPsgE4ZjZ26vsHPSiSB...

Rarely gets used though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this isn't the best place for reporting people, but I do think we need some method of doing so. I don't think calling people out should be frowned upon, if we want a community of friendly players.

If OCTGN had a report feature I would have gone through this there, but they don't so I figured I'd post to where the most netrunner people are.

What would be the right subforum? Not strategy, reviews, variants, news, organized play, or play by forum surely? I was thinking of putting in sessions instead, but it's not really about a game or session, more about a specific user.

I'm going to update the title of this thread to reflect the meta discussion of how/where/should we report bad sportsmanship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:

Only because there is no reason to play astro-biotics in a friendly game. It's not like there is a reason to play test it (because everyone knows it works) and it's not really fun or engaging to play.

On the flip side, there are other annoying decks he could have been playing. You have to be ready for anything when you random OCTGN, including this nonsense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
Tegarend wrote:

Only because there is no reason to play astro-biotics in a friendly game. It's not like there is a reason to play test it (because everyone knows it works) and it's not really fun or engaging to play.

On the flip side, there are other annoying decks he could have been playing. You have to be ready for anything when you random OCTGN, including this nonsense.

I was testing out a new 40-card TWIY to experiment with how quickly agendas could be rushed out, I don't think it's good enough to compete with in the Stimhack League for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Internets. Do unto others, etc. Did we really need a thread about this?

People have bad days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking the faction/archetype out of the equation what did this guy do that was report-worthy? Are we now reporting people because Lukas says conceding is wrong? He conceded a lost game and then very tamely insulted you after being laughed at. I wouldn't exactly call him a pillar of the community but his response seems pretty average to me.

It would also be nice to know how this game was labeled, were players expecting high-level testing for a Tier 1/1.5 list? Or was it just tossed out into the wild with a regular "LF Runner"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Sorry if this isn't the best place for reporting people, but I do think we need some method of doing so. I don't think calling people out should be frowned upon, if we want a community of friendly players.

If OCTGN had a report feature I would have gone through this there, but they don't so I figured I'd post to where the most netrunner people are.

What would be the right subforum? Not strategy, reviews, variants, news, organized play, or play by forum surely? I was thinking of putting in sessions instead, but it's not really about a game or session, more about a specific user.

I'm going to update the title of this thread to reflect the meta discussion of how/where/should we report bad sportsmanship.

But who are you reporting and why? Because he conceded a clearly lost game? Or because he said he hated playing against Astrotrain? Or because after you said "GG LOL" he replied "gg you hack"? None of those things seem like they are anything. You come off as a way bigger jerk then him in this screenshot, especially since you decided it was worth it to post this. Is there more to this story or did you seriously get so upset over 2 lines of text that you thought it warranted to create this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying this was an atrocity that would warrant his excision from the community, I was just reporting a minor incident of bad sportsmanship ("gg, you hack") in the interest of having a healthy community of players.

Edit: @alsciende: I have no problem with him conceding at all, there's nothing wrong with that. I think the official tournament rules should allow for concession as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:

Most logical place would be here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/1292318/android-netrunne...

in the OCTGN gaming guild. I dont know if it is in line with BGG forum rules though, maybe create a thread for naming and shaming OCTGN poor behaviour and see if it stays (tip - find an example of worse behaviour to post to stem the tide of righteousness you have invoked )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on how he took the "lol" you posted. He could have taken it as gloating (which by the looks of it, a lot of people agree with). In fact, if he took your "lol" as seriously as you are taking being called a 'hack' then maybe the same topic from his perspective is going to pop up somewhere else :\

I don't think this warrants discussing any further or having been posted in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
I've done worse.

Not proud of it.

There was one guy I played against who wouldn't observe me asking for pauses for actions and forced accesses. He ran archives, and I asked to pause while Jacksoning and the guy accessed, won and when I asked him to return the agendas so we could continue he basically told me I was a bad player and then quit. He then went to the OCTGN chat and told people I was a sore loser and they should not play against me.

This is the first time I've mentioned this and it is undoubtedly far worse behavior then stated by OP. It's the internet. You're not going to get an online game without a little rat feces in there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0652154/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also had worse situations (ragequitting etc.) than this one, and I realize that this is something that is always going to be possible with online interaction, I would just like to minimize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
I've also had worse situations (ragequitting etc.) than this one, and I realize that this is something that is always going to be possible with online interaction, I would just like to minimize it.

My method to minimize these interactions is to "friend" the players I have enjoyable experiences with and ask them to play when I log in. Often times I'm stuck with random opponents but having a "stable" of respectable players makes my time in OCTGN much more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

My method to minimize these interactions is to "friend" the players I have enjoyable experiences with and ask them to play when I log in. Often times I'm stuck with random opponents but having a "stable" of respectable players makes my time in OCTGN much more enjoyable.

Yeah, the Stimhack OCTGN league has been good for this too, lots of great players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
DJhedgehog wrote:
There was one guy I played against who wouldn't observe me asking for pauses for actions and forced accesses. He ran archives, and I asked to pause while Jacksoning and the guy accessed, won and when I asked him to return the agendas so we could continue he basically told me I was a bad player and then quit.

Was his name Garch? Cause I totally experienced that.

That's the only game I ever "rage-quit" and it was more of a... well, I don't have to deal with this guys attitude so I'm not gonna.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.