3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Travel Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hart
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find any discussion on this. Do you ALWAYS make all information on travel cards available? RAW would say of course, but do any of you stray from this? For example, with a travel card that says "You begin to tire after the long journey. A Ferryman sympathizes and offers you a ride. You must spend 25 gold or each Hero suffers 1 Fatigue" You would obviously have to tell them that their decision is to spend 25 gold or all suffer a fatigue. However, for a card that says "A mysterious cave mouth looms ahead. If the heroes choose to enter, draw 1 Search card and the overlord draws 1 Overlord card" would you just give them the choice of "Enter the cave/Do not enter the cave" and then reveal the consequences after? Or would you tell them exactly what will happen if they make either choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends how theme oriented your group is.

Descent isn't really story driven so you're not really making a decision for your character. Which is why everything is supposed to be completely open; to give everyone a fair chance to make a good decision on their actions.

You could carry out as suggested if that's how your group wanted to though. But I wouldn't do that. I do that for games like Eldritch Horror; where it's a little more about the story and I'm carrying a character through but with Descent I just don't feel that it's necessary.

Since you posted in the Rules subforum though I would have to say a resounding "No don't do that". But it is your groups decision on how they play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. As per the rules, it's public information unless it specifically says it isn't. If you group prefers the mystery, there's nothing stopping you from reading just the choice, and then revealing the consequences after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.