kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken advantage of the ASLSK2 as an opportunity to dip my toe into the world of ASL (thank you, MMP). Playing through a scenario yesterday with another friend who is nostalgic for the days of good old-fashioned Avalon Hill rules lawyering, I ran into a situation where I wasn't sure of the rules. Could someone please tell me if our interpretation was correct?

While moving a stack of squads with a leader across an open hex, my opponent had an opportunity for defensive fire and rolled a NMC. My leader rolled the minimum necessary to pass the check, and the accompanying squads all failed. During the routing phase, we were faced with the question of whether the pinned leader could rout with the sqads. In the end, our interpretation was that he must be left behind, as pinned units can't move, thus cancelling out the usual option of the unbroken leader choosing to route with the stacked squads (and signing the poor limey sergeant's death warrant by leaving him alone on a road, 3 hexes in front of an Italian LMG).

Seems like a relatively minor detail, but we're giving serious thought to making the big step to regular ASL, and we were making a conscious effort to get all of the rules correct so that we could truly assess the system. This was the only time that we were worried that our interpretation might be correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, the Pinned leader can not rout with the broken units.

In ASL (not sure about ASLSK) at the beginnig of the rout phase any unit with LOS (Line of Sight) to a KEU (Known Enemy Unit) may voluntarily Break. In your example the Leader could voluntarily Break and then rout normally.

And I don't believe it to be a minor detail. ASL is won and lost in the rout phase. The rout phase is where you can eliminate units for FtR (Failure to Rout) and make them run where they don't want to go. You do this through maneuver and fire of course. But the point is that the rout phase is where the fruits of your labor are found. In this way everything you do is focused on what will happen in the rout phase, both by your opponent but also by yourself trying to avoid problems.

Welcome to the world of ASL. Your efforts to get things right will be rewarded with a lifetime of enjoyment. Keep that focus but remember that even veteran players get things wrong. Don't sweat it, just move on and enjoy the game.

Later,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
In your example the Leader could voluntarily Break and then rout normally.

Just to check, if a unit voluntarily breaks, it does or does not get a DM counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Martin
United States
Fernandina Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two points to address issued raised. First, voluntary breaking is not included in Starter Kit #1 (I know that this thread referenced SK#2, but I have to plead ignorance with that SK as I do not have that product). Second, yes, a vountarily breaking unit is marked with a DM counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies Jeff and Dale. When I get home tonight, I'll need to check to see if voluntary breaking is covered in the rules. My gut reaction was that it should be possible, but may have overlooked the specific notation in the rules.

I've found the ASL system to be quite remarkable. Intimidating too at first, but after a turn, I like being able to look back at how everything unfolded and thinking, "yeah, that all makes sense, very realistic results for the actions I chose". I'm really looking forward to the point where I can play through an entire turn without having to go back to the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Voluntary break is an ASL-only rule. It's not in ASLSK #1 or #2, and I don't expect it to be in ASLSK #3 either.

kevan sumner wrote:
...the usual option of the unbroken leader choosing to route with the stacked squads

Note that broken units never rout as a stack; they must rout one unit at a time. So the leader, if he was unpinned and unbroken, could only accompany one of the units in the stack as it routed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.