Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just wondering what game is easier to learn, teach, and remember all of the rules?

I own SM Civilization and while we enjoy it a lot, it does not get to the table all that much because of the length of the game. Then I have to factor in trying to remember how to set it up and refresh myself with all of the rules again.

I was wondering if Nations might be easier in this regards? Faster set up, less rules, easier to remember all of the rules/nuances etc. ??

My kids are 13 and 15 and love Civilization ( top 5 game for them) but we almost always overlook certain rules or fail to use certain tactics because we forget. There is so much depth. That's great, but can be taxing on the brain. Especially when we only get to play it a few times a year.

I bought Nations, but have not played it yet. I might give it to them for xmas. Just wanted to get a feel for how easy/hard it is to grasp.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Reynolds
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely give Nations a try. I own both games and have never played Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. Nations is pretty straightforward, but it is not in the same category as SM Civ. Nations has more of a Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization engine building feel to it. SM Civ is more of a 4x game. Nations is, however, pretty easy to teach and learn.

Another 4X game to seriously consider would be Clash of Cultures. I just played it this week for the first time and it really felt like the Civilization computer game of old. Great tech tree, easy to understand combat mechanics and lots of tension (we played 4p).

Edited to actually answer the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations is more of a tableau building, worker allocation game than a 4x style civ. But it had civ flavor. So if you want more cov flavor, I think it's good. I don't think it's all that difficult toanage the rules of Nations. It's fairly streamlined for it's weight level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.