Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Hyperborea» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fortress question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book says that when a fortress is present in a hexagon and an opponent wants to use an attach point in that hexagon, it has to be used to eliminate the fortress first. This implies that *everyone* in that hexagon - including ghosts - is protected by the fortress until it's removal. Is that right, or does the fortress ONLY protect the player who placed it? I can see game play reasons to argue it either way, to be honest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
The rule book says that when a fortress is present in a hexagon and an opponent wants to use an attach point in that hexagon, it has to be used to eliminate the fortress first. This implies that *everyone* in that hexagon - including ghosts - is protected by the fortress until it's removal. Is that right, or does the fortress ONLY protect the player who placed it? I can see game play reasons to argue it either way, to be honest.


Ghosts are NPCs player controlled fortresses do not prevent them from being attacked directly.

A fortress token absorbs exactly one attack point directed at the fortress controlling player's minis on the same hex.

If the player has 1 fortress token, and two minis on a given hex, the attacking player would need at least 2 attack points to destroy one mini and at least 3 attack points to kill both minis, in addition to at least one mini of their own on the same hex, or adjacent if using ranged attack points.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to agree with your interpretation, but that's not what the rules actually say.

The rules say "Every Fortress token can absorb one attack point generated by an opponent, and is then removed.
If an opponent attacks one or more miniatures in a hexagon with one or more Fortress tokens, the Fortress tokens must be removed first, before killing the miniatures.
"

Which implies - to me at least - that the fortress absorbs one Attack point whatever the target.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I'm happy to agree with your interpretation, but that's not what the rules actually say.

The rules say "Every Fortress token can absorb one attack point generated by an opponent, and is then removed.
If an opponent attacks one or more miniatures in a hexagon with one or more Fortress tokens, the Fortress tokens must be removed first, before killing the miniatures.
"

Which implies - to me at least - that the fortress absorbs one Attack point whatever the target.


The rules also say (emphasis mine)

Quote:
IMPORTANT: Fortresses stay in play only until the beginning of that player’s next turn and they only protect the miniatures of their own player’s color.


Ghosts are not ever considered to be in a player's color.

I agree, the rules are often vague and generally not well structured. But, I feel like it's pretty straight forward in this case.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! How did I miss that? I suppose that they could have made it really clear, by (say) printing it in bright red or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you think about it from the publishers point of view:
If the fortresses would protect everyone they would not have to include them in all different colors but a neutral one would have been fine.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:
I'm happy to agree with your interpretation, but that's not what the rules actually say.

The rules say "Every Fortress token can absorb one attack point generated by an opponent, and is then removed.
If an opponent attacks one or more miniatures in a hexagon with one or more Fortress tokens, the Fortress tokens must be removed first, before killing the miniatures.
"

Which implies - to me at least - that the fortress absorbs one Attack point whatever the target.


The rules also say (emphasis mine)

Quote:
IMPORTANT: Fortresses stay in play only until the beginning of that player’s next turn and they only protect the miniatures of their own player’s color.


Ghosts are not ever considered to be in a player's color.

I agree, the rules are often vague and generally not well structured. But, I feel like it's pretty straight forward in this case.


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.