United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has been bit hard by the Pokemon bug.

Are first edition cards compatible with the current EX stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and if anyone has like a bunch of cards, I'd be interested in acquiring them - energy, common, uncommon, whatever series, as long as they're compatible with the Ex stuff we just picked up.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure they are all backwards compatible. My son recently got into the game himself and I had good results trolling eBay for card lots. They go pretty cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Quick
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the Pokemon cards can be played with each other, so from a 'just for fun' perspective, the cards are compatible.

However, not all sets are 'legal' for use in tournaments. So, if he plans on playing in any of the organized play events, including "League" - local weekly groups (though some do allow use of older cards), or tournaments, you should avoid older cards.

And, I would definately encourage playing with the local groups. They are generally very friendly and helpful.

You can get more infomation (such as what cards are 'legal' now, etc.) at:
http://op.pokemon-tcg.com/content/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Oka
United States
Fort Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, they are compatible. Practically, they are not. The average HP and Damage of each card has gone up by about 20-40. 120 HP is the norm now for a stage 2 card. I remember when only Chansey and Charizard had 120 HP, and you could annoy everyone by using Alakazam to swap damage onto Chansey...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dreaded power creep....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.