Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for games similar to Agricola and Through the Ages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan L
msg tools
I am looking to expand my collection of board games for the holidays. I am looking for a good worker placement/civilization building game. Some of my favorites are Agricola, Through the Ages, and Railways of the World.

I'm considering Le Havre and Brass, but would welcome any other suggestions. I like games that have a nice theme and although I enjoy Eclipse, I'm not that into sci-fi.

After looking into Le Havre, I like its relative ease of play and civilization-like growth, but I have worries that the endgame and dominant strategy are the same for each play through. I'm also considering Brass since I enjoy Railways of the World, but it seems that Brass may be a bit dry.

I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civ type games:
Nations
Terra Mystica

Worker placement:
Kanban: Driver's Edition
Caverna: The Cave Farmers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rosset
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Agricola, I would (somewhat self-servingly) recommend Brew Crafters by Dice Hate Me Games. It's shipping out to Kickstarter backers very soon (hopefully next week), and will be available for retail purchase and online purchase soon thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
Ora et Labora, it has resource management and the city building feel, a really good game - Worker placement, resource management.

Imperial Settlers is a lighter civbuilder which I enjoy very much, you should try it first though. Comboing with cards, resource management and light direct player interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marena Tiano
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Terra Mystica quite a bit.

I just purchased Russian Railroads which is a worker placement game that I have been playing on Yucata. I just picked up Snowdonia which is another Worker Placement which has a Bot component that I really like. An oldie but goodie worker placement is Stone Age.

Another Civ game that I like is Antike. I have Nations but haven't played it yet.

I also like Le Havre and TTA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is awesome. I like it a lot better than Railways of the World.

Le Havre is also awesome. I have not personally found a dominant strategy... and there are a handful of random buildings each game which can affect the outcome of any strategy.

Here are some games you might want to consider:

Dominant Species has great worker placement and a spatial/growth element which might be a good combination for what you're asking.

Keyflower is another which has very interesting worker placements and also individual town areas (which can be used/abused by other players). Those towns are like really small civilizations... in a way. Also has a bit of the look of Agricola if you like that sort of feel.

Though I'm not usually a fan of "pure" card games, Innovation and Glory to Rome are both really great and have a bit of the civilization feel.

Other games already mentioned...

Caverna is a lot like Agricola... but I'd say it's way too similar, actually.

Nations is a lot like Through the Ages, but different enough to be worth a look. Basically, we play Through the Ages with 2 or 3 players, but Nations with 4 or 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is neither a Civ nor WP game. But what it is is AWESOME. Nice and heavy and condensed. Really nothing like your two examples. Buy it. It's not at all dry, it's very engaging and interesting. Nothing like ROTW though, but I'm presuming (hoping) you mean it's because it's a Martin Wallace game, in which case, stick with him, and you'll go far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora and Antiquity might be what you are looking for but are both "OOP" and a little hard to come by...but definitely worth seeking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait for your 2017 Secret Santa. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is amazing. It's extremely unique, in so many ways. Dominant Species is amazing as well, but totally chaotic and a blood-bath until the final card. Terra Mystica is really neat, too, with lots of different combinations to keep things interesting.

I do like Le Havre a lot, but it's a hit or miss game for most. The iOS version is pretty good, though, so you can give it a shot and try it out first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.