Subject: So...scores?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the fence with this one.
I just cannot decide if the game is intriguing or not (to me).
But I don't want to go into much details here, why or why not, etc.

What would interest me is a question I pose to all those who have played at least twice (the more the better):
where do you score?

I played twice, so far, and both times I was just below 100, whereas my friend was at about 110 (first game) and 100 (second game).

So, what's your score?
How high do you think is possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FiNeX
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our minimum score was 97. While the maximum we reached was 127,5. But with more play I think we can archive even higher scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
73.5 vs 82.5 first game
82.5 vs 101.5 second game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played twice and scored in the 90s both times, first I won, second I lost where the winner scored 100. I was mainly just experimenting around without much of an end game plan, so I am sure to have higher scores on future plays.

I really enjoyed this game. Best 2 player game I have played, as I am a fan of heavier euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first 2-player game was 98 - 100

Then I played 5 solo games to experiment, scores ranged widely:

My second 2-player game was 125.5 (me) - 99.5 (new player)

It seems like reaching 90's in your first game is realistic. Experience will then push scores closer to the 110-130 range. I'd be curious to hear how high experienced players will be able to score consistently.

It also seems solo games will be able to go higher since you have uncontested access to all of the buildings and perfect information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 quick solos as my first tries:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Murphy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game yesterday. It would seem it was a low scoring effort.....70 vs 67. For those scores over 100, what were the major contributing factors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The scores in our first two games were:
76,5 vs. 91,5
71,5 vs. 138

Especially in the second game I got the most points out of two 15 point-building and with upgrading all crafts.
But I think the high scores in most of these early games come from the easier green buildings because their bonuses are a bit overpowered compared to the other buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy and I have played about 10 times and we are consistently at 100 plus or minus 8.

I did try experimenting with a risky play the last game we played and I got smoked . . . blush

Fields of Arle for us is about 2 hours or less.

We also play Ora and Labora 2-player (the long version) and like it very much as well, but it takes a least an hour longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like you basically will get a score total of about 200-220 (both scores added) if you play well. This seems to swing one way or another if one player is exceptionally good or bad, with the points in excess of the average gained by one side equally lost by the other...

Correct me, if that is wrong, please.
But it seems that it is not really possible to go beyond 110 if your opponent is at the same level of points, roughly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scored 114* for my first solo game. Seems like brick is a little tight since it requires peat to convert the clay into brick.

*Turns out I was using one of the novice buildings incorrectly (noticed this when looking at some of the building descriptions) - the one that gives you a master action each November is NOT a free upgrade. I used it several times to upgrade my ovens and weaving looms (the most costly upgrades).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Butler
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first solo game last night and got 95.5 points. My main goal was to explore the game so that I'd be comfortable teaching it, but I tried to somewhat focus on linen/wool and traveling.
Let me just add that I loved the experience. Uwe has done it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game was 77 and the second game was 112.5

My wife got 76 in the first game and 92.5 in the second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing several solo games since I have yet to convince my wife (who is a great gaming partner ) to sit down and learn the game with me. Interestingly, the last two solo games have yielded the same scores - both being 113.5 points. For comparison, here are some photos of my home board at the end of each of the two games:

and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
I've been playing several solo games since I have yet to convince my wife (who is a great gaming partner ) to sit down and learn the game with me. Interestingly, the last two solo games have yielded the same scores - both being 113.5 points.

Now I know what you're doing instead of playing Glass Road solo!

I was going to say that you and I both scored 28.5 points in Glass Road solo on the same day, also with completely different boards, but ... then I looked and saw that those boards look almost the same!

Also - if we're mainly scoring 25-30 points in Glass Road, two games at 28.5 isn't doesn't seem as strange as two games of FofA at 113.5!

My wife is not a gamer. I got her to play Patchwork with me once recently, and she commented that it seemed to take a long time. I have no illusions that she'd ever play FofA (which I don't own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Now I know what you're doing instead of playing Glass Road solo!

I was going to say that you and I both scored 28.5 points in Glass Road solo on the same day, also with completely different boards, but ... then I looked and saw that those boards look almost the same!

Also - if we're mainly scoring 25-30 points in Glass Road, two games at 28.5 isn't doesn't seem as strange as two games of FofA at 113.5!

My wife is not a gamer. I got her to play Patchwork with me once recently, and she commented that it seemed to take a long time. I have no illusions that she'd ever play FofA (which I don't own).

Worry not - I will return to Glass Road someday! It may be a few weeks since I am currently enjoying the vast options available in Fields of Arle, but I am also itching to try out the Oktoberfest promo for Glass Road (which I received a few weeks ago now).

I think Glass Road might be my preferred solo experience because it still has a lot of options (about 3 times as many buildings as Fields of Arle) and requires you to deal with a bit of bad luck from time to time (where as Fields of Arle has no random elements other than the initial setup). Plus, I am still really enamored with those production wheels in Glass Road.

I don't know if I will ever convince my wife to play Fields of Arle more than once - she does like some weightier games, but usually prefers they conclude in about 60 to 90 minutes. I am definitely interested in Patchwork since my wife really enjoys quick little games like that (which often have surprisingly fun choices to make) - I would love to hear your take on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ellis
Canada
Vernon
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming is a lifestyle choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are killing it! I got 80 then 57 then 79.

Fun fun game. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
I am definitely interested in Patchwork since my wife really enjoys quick little games like that (which often have surprisingly fun choices to make) - I would love to hear your take on it.

I like Patchwork.

I can see how it is a Rosenberg game. You have your board to build on. You're putting down buildings, even though the game calls them patches. They have different costs. Some of them produce resources at certain points in the game.

It's a very distilled Rosenberg. Pretty much all you do is build buildings (place patches), unless you decide to pass and get resources. The costs and the resources and the victory points are all the same: buttons. There's nothing more than that.

And, like a good Rosenberg game, there are some nice unique touches. There is a "market" of 33 "buildings" - but you have access only to a window of 3 at a time - and which you pick controls which are available to your opponent.

The game's use of time as another commodity (I guess it's not all buttons) is also very nice. Having different actions take different amounts of time, and letting the player who is trailing take as many turns as he likes is not new (Thebes). But the way that the game combines time and buttons is appealing.

I like it enough that I wrote a strategy article on it. It goes on and on forever. I put my "I write marathon posts" microbadge out front again. (Of course, you've already seen my solo Glass Road mega-posts.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Butler
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my second solo game yesterday and this time I got 134p with an animal/buildings strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnemonicuz wrote:
Played 2 quick solos as my first tries:

Thoryana wrote:
I played my second solo game yesterday and this time I got 134p with an animal/buildings strategy.

These scores make me wonder if I am doing something wrong. The rules say 110 is a remarkable score, and I've just barely surpassed it on several of my solo games. Maybe there is something different about the Swedish (presumably German) version of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
These scores make me wonder if I am doing something wrong. The rules say 110 is a remarkable score, and I've just barely surpassed it on several of my solo games. Maybe there is something different about the Swedish (presumably German) version of the game?

I found the "remarkable score" of 110 odd too because I shot way past it by my second solo game. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong as well but couldn't find any errors in my play. I'm playing with an English copy.

In a way I think the solo game will be similar to Glass Road in that strong building synergy will result in better scores when utilized correctly so not all solo games are equal. Coincidentally I think that building based strategies will be very strong in solo because you don't have competition for them and can plan perfectly. Here are the score breakdowns for my two best games:

Category Game 1 Game 2
Clothing/Materials 12 19.5
Equipment 9 6
Travel 10 8
Tools 5 26
Goods Track 1 2
VP on Board 88 83
Animals 15 10

Total 140 154.5

Lots of points from buildings. I tried out some non-building based strategies but haven't been able to score much over 120 without focusing on them. I remember completely ignoring Tools in one game and Animals in the other until about half way through. I think that you really need to focus and maximize points from specific areas to do well. Again, acquiring building materials and using them for vehicles and buildings seems to be incredibly strong due to no competition.

Overall I predict Building+ strategies will end as the ideal way to play solo. However, this doesn't mean that it's necessarily solvable as the + still needs to be optimized and can come from a wide variety of sources. I'm hoping to play a game where I can figure out another way to score an equivalent number of points but I'm not sure it exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
In a way I think the solo game will be similar to Glass Road in that strong building synergy will result in better scores when utilized correctly so not all solo games are equal.

I fear that you be right about Glass Road, but my mission is to try to get good scores even with bad combinations of buildings. But so far I usually do better with the easier buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
dotKeller wrote:
In a way I think the solo game will be similar to Glass Road in that strong building synergy will result in better scores when utilized correctly so not all solo games are equal.

I fear that you be right about Glass Road, but my mission is to try to get good scores even with bad combinations of buildings. But so far I usually do better with the easier buildings.

There's nothing to fear, I actually view this as a strength of the solo game. If all things were equal between games then you would eventually reach a point where the game as a whole was solved. Changing up the starting variables and adding in random elements throughout gives you a new challenge each time but makes it harder to determine how well you did comparatively. In this way comparing scores isn't all that useful as the conditions were different so you may have a lower score but actually played better. I view each separate game as it's own puzzle that I'm working on. At the end of the game I can judge for myself how well I think I did since there's no obvious caliber for success.

Fields of Arle has less variation than Glass Road and no randomization once the game starts so you could say that each set of buildings has an individual solution. On the other hand there's a lot more depth of strategy than Glass Road so coming to this solution would take an exhaustive process. In my mind it's better to just enjoy playing than to be overly concerned with the score.

All that to say I really enjoy the solo versions of Glass Road and Fields of Arle because I can play each game in it's own context and then make up my own mind about how well I felt I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dotKeller wrote:
I found the "remarkable score" of 110 odd too because I shot way past it by my second solo game. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong as well but couldn't find any errors in my play. I'm playing with an English copy.

In a way I think the solo game will be similar to Glass Road in that strong building synergy will result in better scores when utilized correctly so not all solo games are equal. Coincidentally I think that building based strategies will be very strong in solo because you don't have competition for them and can plan perfectly. Here are the score breakdowns for my two best games:

Category Game 1 Game 2
Clothing/Materials 12 19.5
Equipment 9 6
Travel 10 8
Tools 5 26
Goods Track 1 2
VP on Board 88 83
Animals 15 10

Total 140 154.5

Lots of points from buildings. I tried out some non-building based strategies but haven't been able to score much over 120 without focusing on them. I remember completely ignoring Tools in one game and Animals in the other until about half way through. I think that you really need to focus and maximize points from specific areas to do well. Again, acquiring building materials and using them for vehicles and buildings seems to be incredibly strong due to no competition.

Overall I predict Building+ strategies will end as the ideal way to play solo. However, this doesn't mean that it's necessarily solvable as the + still needs to be optimized and can come from a wide variety of sources. I'm hoping to play a game where I can figure out another way to score an equivalent number of points but I'm not sure it exists.

I am curious if you recall which of the green buildings you were using in your games. Also, what is your main method of acquiring building materials? I can barely get enough to build all of the 15 point buildings...being able to get 26 points from tools as well as 83 points on the home board is really amazing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
I am curious if you recall which of the green buildings you were using in your games. Also, what is your main method of acquiring building materials? I can barely get enough to build all of the 15 point buildings...being able to get 26 points from tools as well as 83 points on the home board is really amazing to me.

Unfortunately I don't have any details from those two games. I was being intentional about exploring the game and not spoiling the experience by recording it. In retrospect I wish I would have at least taken an end game picture but I hope to replicate it at some point with a full report.

There were a couple buildings/combinations that stick out to me. Whether they're the ones I actually used are uncertain but they all seem quite useful. I'm a little strapped for time so I'll come back to this post later and fill in what the buildings actually do.

Colonist's House (Green) - 2 Wool -> 1 Clay + 1 Peat cutting
Being able to turn wool into clay with cutting to boot is quite useful. What makes this amazing though is once you get a Peat Boat you can effectively turn 1 Peat into 1 clay by converting 2 Peat -> 2 Wool -> 1 Clay + 1 Peat. This gives you clay on demand as long as you have some Peat stockpiled.

Loading Station(Green) - May fill carts with Peat
This one is dripping with potential when paired with a Peat boat. It can fuel a lot of strategies by providing way more resource than you would normally be able to get (not wood/clay though). I love having the flexibility it provides with an early vehicle. I think I used this one a lot in my Game 1.

Farmer's Inn (Blue) - Convert fields to forest (up to 3x)
+Turnery (Yellow) - 2 Peat cutting + 1 Wood per forest
Build some early Fields, convert them to Forests and then use those forests (plus any more that you built) for a big burst of cutting and wood (plus wood income).

Waterfront House (Orange) - 10 Food, 2 Dike move, Fish Traps +3
+Sluice Yard Inn (Blue) - Fish Traps +2, 1 Wood per Fish Trap
I'm a huge fan of the Waterfront House (15 food for 10 points!) but when the Sluice Yard Inn is in the game it becomes amazing. Maxing out Fish Traps gets you 6 wood which is quite amazing.

Wood Trader - 1 Food + 1 Timber -> 2 Wood
I haven't actually used this one but it seems like a crazy way to generate a ton of wood. You need an early vehicle but then you've basically got 3-4 wood per turn any time you can spare the cart space. Pick up a second vehicle and things could get crazy. Maybe it just sounds good in theory but I'm guessing it could be abused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.