Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » News

Subject: WizKids Acrylic Movement Templates are out... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erich Claussen
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw that these were on MM.. I am sure they are out at other retailers as well.

Just an FYI:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wzk71691.html
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up.

I bought some templates which were for X-wing and there are a few maneuvers missing in comparison to Attack Wing.

**Edit** The curves are different, I should have mentioned this.**
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blauvelt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

I bought some templates which were for X-wing and there are a few maneuvers missing in comparison to Attack Wing.


They are NOT the same! X-wing curves are different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can't mix X-Wing and Attack Wing templates without cheating. The curves are significantly different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep using my Litko templates. Since I don't play OPs or Regionals, I don't have to be aggravated by WK's naked money grab trying to outlaw other templates so that they can force players to buy theirs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'll keep using my Litko templates. Since I don't play OPs or Regionals, I don't have to be aggravated by WK's naked money grab trying to outlaw other templates so that they can force players to buy theirs.


So providing a set of higher quality templates that are uniform and legal (whereas others might not be 100% the correct angles and sizes), is a naked money grab? Damn them for providing official accessories to their own game!
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am getting confused. Should I hate WizKids because they don't support their game or should I hate them because they do support their game? Either way, when my plain old cardboard maneuver templates start to wear out, I might pick some of these up.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little disappointed that this doesn't include a u-turn for Maneuverability/Skilled Helmsman, but otherwise this looks like a decent deal for the price. Even paying the full suggested MSRP this is a decent deal compared to some third party options.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captdsulu wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.

I bought some templates which were for X-wing and there are a few maneuvers missing in comparison to Attack Wing.


They are NOT the same! X-wing curves are different.



Yep, I know. zombie
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SeijiTataki wrote:
I am a little disappointed that this doesn't include a u-turn for Maneuverability/Skilled Helmsman, but otherwise this looks like a decent deal for the price. Even paying the full suggested MSRP this is a decent deal compared to some third party options.


Hopefully, now that these are out and reasonably priced, they will (by way of being competition) bring down the price of the other aftermarket acrylic templates (daftpunk, litco, etc). I like the DP ones, but there is no way I would pay the premium they want. If they come down to a comparable price however...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy they made these.

I'm disappointed that they think i'm a filthy dirty cheater when I attempt to use my Litko templates.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HAIL HYDRA
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gotta get me these my range ruler is quite.....floppy
off-topic what currency is the price in?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 640664. bgog97522
  • 1d100 =
  • (48) =
  • 48
  • Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:59 pm
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they have a black or gray set. Blue is ... nice ... and all, but it has the savor of Federation, whom I never play (I like the underdogs).

A smoked gray or even an opaque (or translucent is fine too) black would be my choice.

Anyone else have a color preference?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY. Both of my range rulers broke at Gencon (coincidentally when I first saw these) And I've had to borrow since then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. That's a little pricey, but I'm missing several turns and banks at this point--playing Borg will do that to you--and these actually look like a pretty good replacement.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
Oof. That's a little pricey, but I'm missing several turns and banks at this point--playing Borg will do that to you--and these actually look like a pretty good replacement.

I didn't think you needed *any* turns when playing Borg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fouts
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
FINALLY. Both of my range rulers broke at Gencon (coincidentally when I first saw these) And I've had to borrow since then.


Pricey? They are only $25.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
foutss wrote:
koku ryu wrote:
FINALLY. Both of my range rulers broke at Gencon (coincidentally when I first saw these) And I've had to borrow since then.


Pricey? They are only $25.



In fairness, as a college student, that's the kind of money I look at and think "gas for a week" or "could help with textbooks in a couple weeks" or "my next three or four meals." Attack Wing is my only "frivolous spending" I really afford myself, personally.

These are cheaper than the third party options. I'll keep using the ones I've got, but might pick up a set eventually.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
foutss wrote:
koku ryu wrote:
FINALLY. Both of my range rulers broke at Gencon (coincidentally when I first saw these) And I've had to borrow since then.


Pricey? They are only $25.



In fairness, as a college student, that's the kind of money I look at and think "gas for a week" or "could help with textbooks in a couple weeks" or "my next three or four meals." Attack Wing is my only "frivolous spending" I really afford myself, personally.

These are cheaper than the third party options. I'll keep using the ones I've got, but might pick up a set eventually.


not necessarily
http://www.gdesignsinc.com/index.php?virtuemart_category_id[0]=31&Itemid=186&option=com_customfilters&view=products

http://www.appliedperspective.com/acrylic/product/movement-t...

They ARE easier to get if your LFGS stocks them.

( I was going to list my favorite ETSY seller "Ulski Design" but then I realized they only do X-wing...too bad they sell the templates for $14)


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tpryan01 wrote:
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
foutss wrote:
koku ryu wrote:
FINALLY. Both of my range rulers broke at Gencon (coincidentally when I first saw these) And I've had to borrow since then.


Pricey? They are only $25.



In fairness, as a college student, that's the kind of money I look at and think "gas for a week" or "could help with textbooks in a couple weeks" or "my next three or four meals." Attack Wing is my only "frivolous spending" I really afford myself, personally.

These are cheaper than the third party options. I'll keep using the ones I've got, but might pick up a set eventually.


not necessarily
http://www.gdesignsinc.com/index.php?virtuemart_category_id[0]=31&Itemid=186&option=com_customfilters&view=products

http://www.appliedperspective.com/acrylic/product/movement-t...

They ARE easier to get if your LFGS stocks them.

( I was going to list my favorite ETSY seller "Ulski Design" but then I realized they only do X-wing...too bad they sell the templates for $14)




Both options after shipping are slightly more expensive than ordering the templates from someone like Cool Stuff or Miniature Market (And cheaper if you happen to be buying enough to qualify for free shipping, though that requires you already spending over $100), and are only better priced if you buy from your FLGS at full MSRP + Tax. Since a lot of stores offer some sort of discount or loyalty program if you are shopping at there a lot, then the official templates might also still be cheaper.

The pros for buying the official ones is that they are absolutely 100% official and allowed at all venues, while your custom ones may not be.

The advantages of the custom ones is that for varying price points and shopping around you can get looks and colors that you want that the official ones will not offer.

Regardless, the cost of the official ones even at full MSRP are still competitive against the custom third party ones, even if you go for a cheaper option.

As mentioned above, my only gripe about the official ones was the lack of the full come about for Maneuverability/Skilled Helmsman that I was able to get by custom ordering through a third party.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'll keep using my Litko templates. Since I don't play OPs or Regionals, I don't have to be aggravated by WK's naked money grab trying to outlaw other templates so that they can force players to buy theirs.


So providing a set of higher quality templates that are uniform and legal (whereas others might not be 100% the correct angles and sizes), is a naked money grab? Damn them for providing official accessories to their own game!


WK Providing templates is fine. I have no problem with that. Trying to exclude other templates in order to force competitors to buy theirs in addition to the templates they may have already bought from Litko or others -- THAT is the money grab part. Oh, and if you can demonstrate that those Litko (or other) templates which were manufactured to match the cardboard templates actually ARE inaccurate, you might have a case but I doubt that is true. If that were the case WK could test templates from various sources and "authorize" them based on their accuracy rather than their provenance.

This is the sort of thing that strengthens my resolve not to participate in offical WK events. Annoying people who play the game translates directly to how much they spend on the game, so perhaps this isn't the smartest business move either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
This is the sort of thing that strengthens my resolve not to participate in offical WK events. Annoying people who play the game translates directly to how much they spend on the game, so perhaps this isn't the smartest business move either.


There are plenty of reasons to hate WizKids if you want to. There are tons of annoying issues I have with them. Releasing official acrylic accessories is definitely not one of them.

Now, if the templates were sold in blind boosters and had a collectable rarity scheme...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
yourmonkey06 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'll keep using my Litko templates. Since I don't play OPs or Regionals, I don't have to be aggravated by WK's naked money grab trying to outlaw other templates so that they can force players to buy theirs.


So providing a set of higher quality templates that are uniform and legal (whereas others might not be 100% the correct angles and sizes), is a naked money grab? Damn them for providing official accessories to their own game!


WK Providing templates is fine. I have no problem with that. Trying to exclude other templates in order to force competitors to buy theirs in addition to the templates they may have already bought from Litko or others -- THAT is the money grab part. Oh, and if you can demonstrate that those Litko (or other) templates which were manufactured to match the cardboard templates actually ARE inaccurate, you might have a case but I doubt that is true. If that were the case WK could test templates from various sources and "authorize" them based on their accuracy rather than their provenance.

This is the sort of thing that strengthens my resolve not to participate in offical WK events. Annoying people who play the game translates directly to how much they spend on the game, so perhaps this isn't the smartest business move either.


But that's not new. The use of 3rd party templates has always been at the discretion of the TO.

These templates are something people have been asking for (and are affordable compared to unofficial options). In light of people wanting to use them and WizKids having official regional events now, its perfectly reasonable that they should be providing these so that people who want acrylic templates have something to use that is uniform.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgog97522 wrote:
gotta get me these my range ruler is quite.....floppy





Ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for Organized Play activity.

Seek medical attention for any Attack Wing sessions lasting longer than 4 hours.

Side effects include dry mouth.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
yourmonkey06 wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
I'll keep using my Litko templates. Since I don't play OPs or Regionals, I don't have to be aggravated by WK's naked money grab trying to outlaw other templates so that they can force players to buy theirs.


So providing a set of higher quality templates that are uniform and legal (whereas others might not be 100% the correct angles and sizes), is a naked money grab? Damn them for providing official accessories to their own game!


WK Providing templates is fine. I have no problem with that. Trying to exclude other templates in order to force competitors to buy theirs in addition to the templates they may have already bought from Litko or others -- THAT is the money grab part. Oh, and if you can demonstrate that those Litko (or other) templates which were manufactured to match the cardboard templates actually ARE inaccurate, you might have a case but I doubt that is true. If that were the case WK could test templates from various sources and "authorize" them based on their accuracy rather than their provenance.

This is the sort of thing that strengthens my resolve not to participate in offical WK events. Annoying people who play the game translates directly to how much they spend on the game, so perhaps this isn't the smartest business move either.


But that's not new. The use of 3rd party templates has always been at the discretion of the TO.

These templates are something people have been asking for (and are affordable compared to unofficial options). In light of people wanting to use them and WizKids having official regional events now, its perfectly reasonable that they should be providing these so that people who want acrylic templates have something to use that is uniform.


Agreed. But if you put your non WK templates on the table over the top of the WK templates and they are totally identical, then prohibiting one over the other simply because WK wants to sell more copies of it's own product is greedy and I think short sighted.

Next it will be other tokens I bet. How soon before people can't use their acrylic battlestations tokens in an OP? My guess is it will be right after WK comes out with their own acrylic replacement game tokens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.