Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of read throughs of the rules which didn't leave me much wiser I decided to plough into my first game learning as I went. I admit that I'm not a great rules reader and I often go for watching play through videos first to give me a general understanding before using the rule book during gameplay. I live in hope that someone with either produce a video or a rules aid because I feel the rules could have been better displayed.

The cards and components are great with the whole game oozing with Napoleonic history.

When I finally got down to playing I found that the game is fairly simple with a similar feel to The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 or B-17: Queen of the Skies. The story telling is superb with one of my Grognards getting gravely wounded in his first skirmish and taken prisoner in his second even thought the odd were very low. I love it.

So if you like this sort of game I suggest you grab a copy, I know I'll be playing this a lot over Christmas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But guys... what happened? There must be a story or two to tell here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrived! Now to table it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Arrived! Now to table it.

Let us know how it goes. The videos they had on YouTube made the game seem very boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Videos on Youtube? You mean facebook? I actually enjoyed those , but yeah they are only small bits of what the game entails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
Videos on Youtube? You mean facebook? I actually enjoyed those , but yeah they are only small bits of what the game entails.

Facebook, yeah that's it. I'm not judging it yet, because two minutes is not enough to judge, but man that play through of a campaign turn was not that interesting. But is that all the game is, flip over a card, resolve? Anyone I'm looking forward to a session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Gerit wrote:

Facebook, yeah that's it. I'm not judging it yet, because two minutes is not enough to judge, but man that play through of a campaign turn was not that interesting. But is that all the game is, flip over a card, resolve? Anyone I'm looking forward to a session report.

This game may not be for you. I enjoy this sort of game but there are only limited decisions for you to make. It's more a story or RPG game where you resolve cards by dice rolling or choose which option to take. As a solo experience I think it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
We're enjoying our first play-through in a two-player game, but I'm an admitted narrative game fan, former huge RPGer, love story-telling, etc. I've been a fan of games like B-17 Queen of the Skies and Patton's Best since they came out, in the final publishing stages of releasing an Engle-Matrix engine story-telling WW2 card game, and have been a war gamer for more than 40 years so I'm probably the absolute target audience for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love games like D-Day at Tarawa and Enemy Coast Ahead and solo games like Robinson Crusoe, I love lots of decisions. We'll see, couple guys in my group picked this up, so I'll play it with them first.

But I am glad you guys are enjoying it, seems like a lot of work went into making this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems we're two of a kind David. I too love the storytelling aspect of a game, the narrative is what makes a game for me. LoH will be the first game of this sort for me so I am very excited!

What is Engle-Matrix, and could you elaborate on the WWII game. Is it yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
Seems we're two of a kind David. I too love the storytelling aspect of a game, the narrative is what makes a game for me. LoH will be the first game of this sort for me so I am very excited!

What is Engle-Matrix, and could you elaborate on the WWII game. Is it yours?

Yes, the game design is mine. Wrapping up the rules layout this month (just have the images left to place). To quote Bob Cordery:

"Engle-Matrix Games were invented by Chris Engle, an American psychiatric social worker who plays wargames. He began to develop the concept that became Matrix Games [now under his banner Hamster Press] in 1988 because he wanted to create a system by which it was possible for a player to “role-play” an entire country. He was told that he would have to use a number-based system if he wanted something that would work, but he felt that this essentially missed the point. What he wanted was system that reflected the intangible aspects of a nation such as its culture, beliefs, and perceptions of itself; in essence a model of a nation’s “character”.

Taking as his starting point the work of Emmanuel Kant, Chris began to develop a “matrix” of words that would form the framework for his “model”. To this he added George Hegel’s idea that argument and counter-argument (thesis and antithesis) lead to a synthesis or consensus of ideas. Thus the basic idea of the Matrix Game was formulated.

Like all good ideas, the Matrix Game is very simple in concept, but has huge potential in that it can be adapted to fit almost every wargame. It is particularly suited to dealing with the politico-military aspects of campaigns, but can also be used to resolve any aspect of combat if the participants have open minds and the ability to think rationally."

Basically, these are narrative games. The players have a 20-40 word matrix (list) of words they use that is appropriate to the genre of game they are creating (WW2 tactical, mystery, fantasy etc), and use these to create a statement (argument) about what happens at each juncture in the story.

In my game players use at least three, and up to five words at a time, and the assemble these words in an "argument" in the form of a sentence or two so that they have an Action, Result and up to three Reasons why those two things happened. Players judge each others arguments and compare are their ratings, and VPs get awarded based on this comparison at each step of the game. Chris was kind enough to let me use the Engle-Matrix engine in my game and since I like narrative games and WW2 I combined them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chance to play one of his games with him once in Bloomington. It was great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. I do not understand it all, but I got the picture. Will keep an eye on your effort .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I spent this evening sleeving the cards, clipping the counters and reading the rules.

I am now *itching* to play this. The production is first class, it all oozes theme, and I can see that is going to be a hell of a lot of fun!

Also, as someone who bought this to play solitaire, I'm really impressed with the solitaire rules.

I'll post more when I've played some games (frustratingly, probably not for a week as we have family visiting... but I know it'll be worth the wait!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the size of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My measurements make then 2.5" (63mm) wide by slightly less than 3.5" (88mm) in height (assuming my tape measure and eyes are both working properly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Keith.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
scopa wrote:
My measurements make then 2.5" (63mm) wide by slightly less than 3.5" (88mm) in height (assuming my tape measure and eyes are both working properly)

This is "standard American card game" size - or roughly the size of a U.S. baseball card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.