Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cunningham
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy All,
I'd like to make some extra tile hexes and tokens for some house rules and such, what's the best material to use for those? Can you buy blank tiles, do you make them out of cardboard (if so, what thickness), or is there a supplier that can make blank Hex tiles, Tech tiles, Component Tiles, Discovery tiles, Ambassador tiles, etc? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use a type of cardboard called "illustration board" that can be found at arts & crafts stores. I used a steel ruler, cutting mat and craft knife to cut it in the past... it takes several passes per cut.

I would print up the tiles on 110 lb. Cardstock, cut that out and glue it to
The illustration board pieces.

Same goes for counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
I would use a type of cardboard called "illustration board" that can be found at arts & crafts stores. I used a steel ruler, cutting mat and craft knife to cut it in the past... it takes several passes per cut.

I would print up the tiles on 110 lb. Cardstock, cut that out and glue it to
The illustration board pieces.

Same goes for counters.

I used what was supposed to be the covers of a scrap book at Hobby Lobby. It's very hard but not too think of cardboard (feels more like chit board). I agree with above mentioned cardstock option for the printing. It works great. Much better than laminating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this for completely custom tokens and such: http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-Chipboard-11-Inch-Natural-25-Pa...

However, for my pieces that I want to look and feel as close as possible to the real game, I purchased a second copy of the game and paste my printouts on those tokens. Can't beat that for things like discoveries and hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cunningham
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any suppliers out there making laser-cut blanks or chip-board blanks for Eclipse given how well it sells as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DoctorX wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm kind of surprised that there aren't any suppliers out there making laser-cut blanks or chip-board blanks for Eclipse given how well it sells as a game.

Exactly! I've been looking around trying to source some blanks and nobody makes them in perfect hexagons in the right size for the game. (That said, it looks as if there are some places that will do it custom.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.