Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulo Gulo has one thing going for it more than anything else, your young child can compete with you (and win) based on skill, not luck.

If you know nothing about the game, here it is in a nutshell. You lay about 20 tiles face down in a row (a "trail"). At the end of the tiles (or anywhere that is convenient to everyone) is a wooden bowl of various-sized (small) and colored, wooden eggs. Amongst the eggs, you poke in the "alarm stick" which is a narrow stick with a small wooden egg on top. (Look at the photos, its hard to explain.) Players take turns flipping a tile, and then trying to pull that color of wooden egg from the bowl. The trick is that, as the eggs move and get taken out, there are fewer eggs to hold up the alarm stick. If you succeed, you advance your playing piece along the track, and set your egg to the side. If the alarm stick falls out of the bowl during your effort, your playing piece stays in place, and all of the eggs go back into the bowl. At the end of the tile trail is a stack of four tiles. One of the four ending tiles allows you to draw one of two purple eggs to win the game. Most of our games have lasted 20 minutes or less.

The tiles are heavy cardboard, and the bowl and eggs are wooden. The plastic playing pieces are all two colors. The only problem I see with the components is that if you break the alarm stick, you're going to have a hard time fixing it. I'm no expert, but the wooden eggs are likely a choking hazard.

The theme is that wolverines are going from tufts of ground in a swamp, looking for a missing baby wolverine, but stealing the vulture's eggs along the way. Apparently, wolverines love vulture eggs. The tile that allows you to try and get a purple egg is when you find the baby wolverine. Maybe someone from Germany can explain the theme, but I don't get it. That doesn't really detract from the game, but it makes it a bit hard to explain the theme to my three year-old.

The big plus to this game is that my three year-old can compte with me, without relying heavily on luck or chance. I can look at the egg bowl, and see an egg that would be easy to get. But, my big fingers start moving the eggs around trying to get the "easy" egg, and the alarm stick falls out. My child may not always pick the easiest egg, but those nimble fingers can just pluck that egg right out of there. This is not to say that the game is too hard for adults, but I did only win one of three the other day. I can see this game being fun for ages 3+.

I gave the game an 8. No, I don't think Gulo Gulo is as compelling for me as some other games, but I only compare children's games to other children's games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! Nice timing as my 5 year old saw a catalog with that in it during game night last week (yes, I showed it to her) and has been asking about it since. She beat me and my buddy Mark at Pick Picknic, so I am not sure if I should get her another game . My FLGS can get it for $40, which I think is a little high for a kids game, so we shall see. Maybe Santa will bring it for both of my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review

I got this for my 2.5 years old kid and I'm saving it for Christmas. I bought it so soon because in the FLGS I normally go they told me it's going to be OOP soon...

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
Nice review

I got this for my 2.5 years old kid and I'm saving it for Christmas. I bought it so soon because in the FLGS I normally go they told me it's going to be OOP soon...

-Jorge
Gulo gulo? OOP?

Best single game purchase I ever made. Not only should it always be in print, but this game should be automatically sent to each child in the world on their 3rd birthday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William you are straight on my geekbuddy list. All three of mine (7, 5, and nearly 3) love this game and the older two beat me at it regularly. Best game we ever bought.

Kids compete on a level playing field with adults at this game.

And what a revelation when the 5 year old came across a strong strategy to go with his tiny fingers - hang behind the leader chosing whatever easy colour egg keeps you in touch, then pounce when the older players inevitably fumble on the final pile of tiles.

Only problem is, first time we played this the adults managed to wake several kids by playing after hours. Somehow, after a glass or two, you just have to groan or shout or cheer when that egg alarm goes off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.